VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Riot Nrrrd
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
We gotta send Glenn a cookbook or sumpthin'. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Wants the health benefit but apparently can't be bothered to figure out what to eat.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
It sounds like it's just temporary, and for his health, though. So I'm not sure I'd say he went vegan so much as, went on an animal product free diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
This is a good thing. As much as I abhor Beck's political views, I applaud this effort by him. Some people think going on a vegan diet requires you to be liberal, but that's not true. A friend of mine is a right-wing Republican and he eats vegan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The word "vegan" was created in 1944 by Donald Watson and his wife to refer to people who believe it is wrong to exploit animals ( use for our own selfish purposes ).
 

·
Riot Nrrrd
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
Also gluten free. So far he hates it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
I don't think this is a good thing. To most people (including my conservative parents), Beck comes across as certifiably insane. Do we really need a nutjob like him becoming a celebrity poster boy for veganism? And what happens when he quits (see the Natalie Portman thread)?
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

The word "vegan" was created in 1944 by Donald Watson and his wife to refer to people who believe it is wrong to exploit animals ( use for our own selfish purposes ).
Are you saying Right wing republicans can't care about animals, and think it's wrong to exploit them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Are you saying Right wing republicans can't care about animals, and think it's wrong to exploit them?
I'm saying that eating a vegan diet ( which may not even be the case for Beck, see how Clinton's diet was reported ) doesn't make a person a vegan. "Vegan" refers to a belief.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

I'm saying that eating a vegan diet ( which may not even be the case for Beck, see how Clinton's diet was reported ) doesn't make a person a vegan. "Vegan" refers to a belief.
You're the one that made the thread title :p I think it should just be referred to as a Animal product free diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
I don't think it's a good thing either. Because he clearly hates it and because it's for health reasons, he is forcing these restrictions upon himself. He's making it sound like eating vegan is eating like a rabbit...the basic misconceptions far too many people have...This to me is not by any means promoting veganism, just reiterating the negative stereotypes.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

I don't think it's a good thing either. Because he clearly hates it and because it's for health reasons, he is forcing these restrictions upon himself. He's making it sound like eating vegan is eating like a rabbit...the basic misconceptions far too many people have...This to me is not by any means promoting veganism, just reiterating the negative stereotypes.
He's not trying to promote veganism, He's just on a diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

He's not trying to promote veganism, He's just on a diet.
Exactly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I thought this was a joke at first.
In just a few months we'll hear him ranting and raving about how Veganism almost killed him and God doesn't approve and whatever other bananas he can come up with.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Exactly.
There's nothing wrong with that. It's neither a good, nor bad thing for vegan outreach. It's just a man trying to be healthier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
I just think his negativity towards it may fuel idiots like him to continue to spew anti vegan venom.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top