1 - 20 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The Gospel of Glee

By NANCY GIBBS Monday, Dec. 07, 2009

Glee, the hit show about a high school Glee club, has very sharp claws, which is one reason kids like it so much. It is routinely, if hilariously, cruel (the sweet jock is described as so dumb, "he's cheating off a girl who thinks the square root of 4 is rainbows"). But no darker current--let alone motivation for parental monitoring--had occurred to me until I recently heard a bright, earnest youth minister tell a group of high school kids that he thought Glee was "anti-Christian."
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...id=rss-top-aol

I haven't been watching Glee. Looks like I might be missing something.

Anyone out there who IS watching it?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I watched the first episode because it came on after something I was watching. It wasn't good. I'm not sure which was worse, the writing or the acting.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Glee!!!! Don't listen to dormouse. She clearly doesn't know what she's talking about.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I saw the first episode. It looks like high school musical, only not quite as bad.

I might watch the second episode before I make any further judgements about it.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
the show definitely benefits from watching the story arc over several episodes. I was initially annoyed by several of the characters, but the show is taking the time to develop them and reveal things we didn't know about them. While it certainly works as a High School comedy about popularity and moral lessons, the writers are being a bit more subversive than that...

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Everyone seems to be obsessed with this show. I really wanted to watch it and like it because I find Jane Lynch hysterical but I just can't do it. Maybe if there wasn't singing I would be able to sit through an episode but I am not a fan of musicals or people randomly busting out and singing/dancing on tv or movies.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I love this show, especially all the singing.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Everyone seems to be obsessed with this show. I really wanted to watch it and like it because I find Jane Lynch hysterical but I just can't do it. Maybe if there wasn't singing I would be able to sit through an episode but I am not a fan of musicals or people randomly busting out and singing/dancing on tv or movies.
The singing is kinda the whole point, so, if you're not into musicals, you probably won't enjoy this show.

But yes, Jane Lynch is hilarious! So completely over the top!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

The singing is kinda the whole point, so, if you're not into musicals, you probably won't enjoy this show.

But yes, Jane Lynch is hilarious! So completely over the top!
My friends find it pretty annoying when I randomly quote Sue
I can't blame them, but she's just too funny!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i LOVE this show!

ok i do not like musicals as a general rule, with a few exceptions of course. and i don't really fall for shows geared to teens but this show is actually very very funny and the singing is awesome. it's not as annoying as some musicals and teenybopper stuff can be with random outbursts of spur of the moment choreographed singalongs lol any singing involved is actually related to glee club practices and performances, for the most part.

i agree a couple of the characters were annoying at the start but they suck you in very quickly. i thought Rachel was annoying but i like her now, and at first i hated Kurt but he's now my favourite character. and yep Sue is hilarious!

if you live in the US and missed episodes you can watch them on the fox website http://www.fox.com/watch/glee

i have the soundtracks on my christmas list lol. we played volume 1 at work one day and it's actually quite good. volume 2 comes out december 8th.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I just watched the Season Finale - I actually shed a couple of tears... I'm upset that we have to wait until APRIL before we get new episodes, but I'm excited to know that Jonathan Groff will be on the show for the Spring season - He starred with Lea Michelle (Rachel) in Spring Awakening on Broadway.

For a showtune junkie like me, this show is crack.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I watched one episode. It had better than average writing, but was still boring as hell.

The singing parts of the show made me wish my TV had a fast forward button.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I like the show quite a bit. Definitely over the top and not the greatest acting, but isn't that what musical theatre is all about?

I've gotten chills from many of the songs! There are some really amazing arrangements!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the finale yet but yeah i know what you mean Randy

i saw an interview of Kristin Chenoweth and she said she's coming back again next season. i don't know why i but i like her. i suspect her character will be up to no good though

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
In case anyone hasn't heard yet, Glee got 4 Golden Globe nominations -

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy : Lea Michele (Rachel)

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy : Matthew Morrison (Will)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television : Jane Lynch (Sue)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
awesome!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My boyfriend and I (as well as our friends and cousins) are totally addicted to Glee. As said before, it's a musical, so it's super cheesy. But it's supposed to be. And it's hilarious.

1 - 20 of 471 Posts