VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is an appropriate post place for this, but, do you think I should get more glasses or contacts? Glasses are great and all, but many times my glasses clash with my clothes.

·
Registered
811 Posts
contacts. I started wearing them when I was 11. I was athletic, and glasses were always in the way. If I'd sweat, they'd fog up and slip down my nose. If I had to do something when it was raining or snowing, they were impossible. They were always getting dirty. I hated them.

For many, many years (probably 10-15) I wore extended wear disposable lenses. I would put a new pair in, leave them in day and night, and about every 2-3 weeks I would take them out, throw them away, and put in a new pair. It worked very well for me.

About 5 years ago I had LASIK surgery and all of that is behind me now.

Contacts all the way. The only glasses that I ever want to wear again are sunglasses.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Contacts, but it is very important to develop very good habits of hygiene and cleaning the lenses. It's your sight that is at stake if you get a horrible infection or scratch your cornea.

But I have had contacts since about 12, and currently I wear glasses most of the time, but the contacts really helped through adolescence/early 20's when we are all a little more vain.

Contacts are great for other things, too, like being more active or sunny days, you can wear cheap sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, I tend to wear my contact lenses, but i keep glasses of the right perscription for when my eyes are tired etc.

I have to say that contacts are right for me, and I will never give them up!!

EVER!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I need new glasses, so either way I'm going to have to get something new. I jsut can't decide, I like how glasses look on me *sometimes* and then other times I think it messes it all up. Maybe I will get contactts, but also use glasses? (hehe mayuko)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a couple pairs o glasses that I switch off with, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have contacts for versatility. I fI had the choice of one or the other< i would choose glasses, but if you have glasses already, get some contacts and get the better of both worlds

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
IMO if it's a choice between glasses and contacts - choose glasses. If, however, you have a "working" pair of glasses - and you have a choice to get another pair or contacts....choose contacts.

Then again - I guess it depends on how bad your eyes are. I am as blind as a bat without correction.

Lots of things can happen with contacts - and if you don't have a pair of glasses as a backup - - big hassle (especially if you're blind like me).

·
Registered
0 Posts
I love contacts, but it is extremely dry in Edmonton, so I can't wear them for long. Also, using computers and reading can be a huge pain in the butt.

You need glasses, even if you have contacts. If you have tired eyes, you can't wear your contacts. If you have a cold, you can't wear your contacts. If you have an eye infection, you can't wear your contacts. If you rip your last contact and it's Christmas..well, you get my point

·
Registered
811 Posts
My vision was 20/800 before I had the LASIK, and I never, NEVER wore my glasses. The extended wear disposibles are SO thin, the even dry eyes like mine were fine. I'd been sick, been in the desert, been overseas, and never bothered with my glasses. I had used my glasses so little in the 5 years before I had LASIK, that, in preparing for the surgery, when I had to wear glasses for 2 weeks I was in big trouble! My glasses were well out of perscription, and I hated to buy all new lenses for 2 weeks (when your vision is as bad as mine was, they are pricey). I finally had to do it, but I wasn't happy.

I had had lots of trouble with dry eyes and such before I went to the extended wear disposibles. I know some people who wear that type for comfort, but take them out each night to give their eyes a "rest". I never had to do that, but it is another option.

·
Registered
0 Posts
All contacts torture me since I've moved to Edmonton. I hate it, but I've given up. I wear them out once and a while, but I have to take them out every couple hours and switch them with the other 2 pairs I have soaking. Drops don't work; they make my eyes blood shot and they make my contacts attach to my eyeball.

Ok, not as mad at you now for having perfect eyes...

/pouts

/still pouting

·
Registered
811 Posts
I feel for you. I really do. Up until the extended wear, it was miserable. I remember my first pair in the eary 70's. Soft lenses had only been around for a while, and they were thick!

Have you tried the B & L extended wear disposibles? They are SO thin and comfortable - and from what I've heard, they've become even thinner in the past 5 years. If you haven't - give 'em a try sometime - you might be surprised, AND comfortable!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but I am also the poster child for perfect LASIK surgery. I had a really bad case of bronchitis on the day that I was scheduled, and I was scared to death that I would cough at the wrong time. The Dr. said, "Hey, you only have to stave off a cough for a few seconds - anyone can do that!" . Well, they gave me a Valium because I was really scared. I had never had a Valium before, and, I'll tell you this - within 30 minutes, I wasn't scared of NUTHIN'! The surgery was a breeze. 30 minutes after I went down on the chair my vision was 20/45. Three days later it was 20/30. One week after that, it was 20/20, and a couple of weeks later it settled into my now amazing vision of between 20/15 and 20/10!

I remember going to my first movie theater after my eyes had healed. It was unbelievable! I just sat the gawking, realizing how much I had been missing, especially in my peripheral vision, over the past 30 years. I still find myself amazed that someone with such hideous vision as myself can now see so well.

Life is full of such amazing things these days - it's nice to know that isn't just all horror.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have them in the bathroom
Also have every type Acuvue has made.

HOWEVER, with Flonese (allergy meds), my eyes are feeling better. I can wear my contacts for longer periods of time. If I shoot up just before putting in the contacts, I'm good for a few hours.

Yes, I am addicted to Flonese.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was going blind in one eye, but thankfully it stopped. Not sure what happened, but I ain't complaining!

When I'm a little older and the procedure is more perfected, I'm going to have it done. It's too scary for me, still.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It is a very, VERY scary proceedure. High on what I call the *ick* factor. Of course, I made the biggest, stupidest mistake of all, and went to

http://www.surgicaleyes.org

which is a support site for all of the bad eye surgeries with awful outcomes. EEEEEE.

But, after the Valium, none of that mattered!

Personally, I searched the internet for the very best Dr.s I could find, and 2 of my top 5 were here in San Antonio. It turns out that this was the Dr. that I was schedule to have perform the surgery! My optician set it up. It wasn't cheap ($5700), but I wasn't scrimping when it came to my eyes.

I would never go to someone for this because they were cheap, but the cost of this surgery has gone down dramatically in the past 5 years, even with the best surgeons.

My Dr. was Dr. Ference, although all of the surgeons in this practice have incredible credentials.

http://focalpointvision.com/Michael2.htm

I was so amazed to find someone with his qualifications in my own back yard. I was prepared to fly somewhere, but didn't need to. I hope that you'll get to do it, too!

Good Luck, Kristadb.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a similar problem Krista. I wear my contacts (even a brand new pair) for about 5 hours and my eyes itch, burn and all that good stuff until I take them out and I can't wear them for awhile. I told my doctor and he gave me another brand but they dont work either
I usually only wear contacts when I am going swimming or something outside where I will want to wear sunglasses. I want LASIK so bad.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I have two pairs of glasses, and I wear contacts most of the time. I *like* having peripheral vision! I feel so much better driving and stuff when I can glance to my side and see clearly. I've been wearing contacts for 10 yrs. I had the same pair of glasses for 5 yrs, and only bought a second pair, not cause my prescription changed, but cause I lost mine in the snow last winter, and found them again after it all melted :p

I have no problem with my contacts. I was using the kind you wear a year and then replace up until this year when I switched to focus night & days, and I replace them monthly. I take them out every night and disinfect them still though...

So I advise, keep around a pair of glasses, but get contacts cause they rock.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts