VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was leaving my grocery store the other day, I ran into some sort of church fundraiser (or prosyletizing mission, or something) -- they were giving away free hot dogs and sodas, and they were making sure to come right up to everyone who left the store to offer it to us.

I said, kindly, "Thanks, but I'm a vegetarian." Confused look on young girl's face. "Well, you can have some pop...." "No, but thank you very much for offering."

It was a five-second encounter, if that. But I liked the feeling of just throwing the veg*n idea out there. You never know which seeds will take root .... Ironic that it was a church group, probably out to convert me.

Similar stories?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Funny how that happens. Today I was at the playground with my son, and a woman came up and asked to look at my tattoos. When she saw the one on my arm ( a flaming tomato with "VEGAN" across ) she asked if that was my name. I explained to her that it said "vegan", meaning I'm a strict vegetarian. I have a few "converation" pieces, but I like having the vegan one, makes me think I'm educating people a little!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
We were in the store the other day and some lady was offering chicken salad samples. As we were passing, she asked us "would you like a sample of our deli chicken salad?" I just said "no thank you" and kept going and my husband said (almost yelled it, actually) "She's a vegetarian, she doesn't eat chicken". By this time, I was well into the aisle and I heard her say "well, we can't have that, can we?" (I took it to mean that she didn't want me to break my diet by eating chicken..)

There are times I'll say something and times I won't but it shocked me that Hub would jump right in there and explain for me. It kinda reaffirms all the reasons why I married him in the first place...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wish I had that. My husband is always on the other side. "Just eat it, it's good." "You should eat what you like."

I went shopping with my daughter about two weeks ago, and the sample-pushin' people were in the store trying to offer us everything from buttered bread to TV dinner beef. I politely refused all the offers, and encouraged Bri to do the same, though she graciously accepted some ice cream (she's only five, she'll understand later in life). We came accross a lady promoting some innovative chicken seasoning, and once again politely declined. She asked why, I said we're vegan, and she said: "Don't worry, it's low-fat."

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I sometimes wear shirts that say vegan on them and sometimes carry a vegan message totebag and sometimes have pins on a bag that say things like "Eat beans, not beings".

I let people come to me about it. The last time I went grocery shopping the cashier was talking about steak and the bagger asked me something about it. I told them that I was a vegan and didn't eat steak. Then they both asked what a vegan was and I told them. We got into a long (but pleasant) conversation about it. I spoke mostly of the reasons why it is better for your health. By the time I left, they had both seemed interested and said that they were going to look into meat and dairy alternatives and omit the meat from atleast one or two meals a week.

I have quite a few encounters like that.

I ordered a bunch of literature from the Vegan Book Project (Action For Animals) http://veganbooks.safeshopper.com/

I'm going to start carrying it with me to give to people who ask me about it.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
i'm always watching out for opportunities to say i'm vegan, but i don't get too many.

maybe i'll buy a shirt that says vegan too. that should take care of it

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah...I guess I'm a little more *outgoing* about it. I want the shirt that says: "....70% of the ground beef inspected contained feces. CARNIVORES EAT SH*T!!!"....Yes, there is a shirt that says this. I'll try to find the website and post it...hehehe. All kinds of great shirts...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
So far, many people kinda give me a look when I state I am vegetarian, when I order something special at a restaurant, and I state I am vegetarian. But I hope one day it will open a moment of discussion. I like the tatoo idea.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I see t-shirts like this a lot (meat: it's what's rotting in your colon - etc.) While it's "funny" and makes one think....

I don't know how something like saying meat eaters eat sh*t would enourage veg*nism though. I would think it would just put people on the defensive and/or disgust them.

But what in the heck do I know???????

I'll tell you.....not very much!! (hahahaha)

I love the T-shirt "Love your fellow Earthlings....don't eat them" and the VEGETARIAN t-shirt with all the animals gathered around the letters.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Was in woolworths and they were giving away sausage samples.

I said no thanks, and the guy tried to push it, so I told him i was a vegetarian and he told me I should eat it toput some fat on me or something.

But in their defense. they did have a tofu one previous to that.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My mom answered the doorbell today (with me lingering around, of course) and found some kid from a church going door-to-door selling seafood and other meats, and she refused, telling him we don't buy our food from door-to-door salesmen. So he pushes it, even asking if I wanted some. She looked at him, told him I was vegetarian, and shut the door in his face. I found it amusing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have people that go around selling steaks in a refrigerated truck (door-to-door) around here. I had one guy try to forcefully sell me steaks a few months ago. I told him that I didn't eat anything that had been murdered. He looked all confused. I said I'm Vegan, I eat a healthy, plant-based diet. He tried to explain that they have some sort of discounted price if you buy in bulk. I asked if he had anything in his truck that wasn't tortured and killed. He said that he thought that all food animals were treated as well as possible. I grabbed my Why Vegan? phamphlet off my fridge and showed him it. He apologized and said he wouldn't be bothering me anymore.

And on the other hand... I answered the door the other day at my parents house to a different guy selling steaks from the same company. I said "No thanks we don't eat meat" and he rolled his eyes and walked back to his truck. LOL.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts