VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not totally vegan, but I thought you guys would like to know there's one less egg eater in the world. I gave them up after I read they have as much cholesterol as a big mac. That is is just disgusting to me. I'm also working on giving up cheese
I'm not quite there yet.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I'm not totally vegan, but I thought you guys would like to know there's one less egg eater in the world. I gave them up after I read they have as much cholesterol as a big mac. That is is just disgusting to me. I'm also working on giving up cheese
I'm not quite there yet.
Good for you! Eggs are nastiness.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I don't think eggs are gross, although I've never been a fan of runny yolks. I stopped eating them because of the suffering and death they cause to the animals.

There are so many great alternatives - tofu scrambles, egg replacer in baking (so much more convenient anyway!), etc. Let us know if you need any help adjusting to cooking/baking without eggs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can I find egg replacer? I was looking for it last friday.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
whole foods. or order it online. you mean ener-g, right?

·
Registered
586 Posts
i dont care for ener-g much. i have it but i really like my bob's red mill all natural egg replacer much more. it's mostly just whole soy flour. i get it at our davids natural market or roots but i have seen a lot of bob's red mill at mainstream grocery stores. most natural or whole food stores should have both.

edit: congrats on giving up eggs
although i dont see it as giving them up. i thought i was at first but while i was making the transition we still had some. i tried to use them and they made me feel sick.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

i dont care for ener-g much. i have it but i really like my bob's red mill all natural egg replacer much more. it's mostly just whole soy flour. i get it at our davids natural market or roots but i have seen a lot of bob's red mill at mainstream grocery stores. most natural or whole food stores should have both.
I've found that the trick with ener-g is to not add the water to it. It makes things taste chalky if you do.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I've found that the trick with ener-g is to not add the water to it. It makes things taste chalky if you do.
it's not so much the taste as the texture of the replacer itself. i don't like using corn starch for the same reason. it's like this unnatural faerie dust powder, but not nearly as mystical
or plaster.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

it's not so much the taste as the texture of the replacer itself. I don't like using corn starch for the same reason. It's like this unnatural faerie dust powder, but not nearly as mystical
or plaster.
but thats what vegan food is supposed to taste like.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
In my grocery store, ener-G egg replacer is in the natural/organic packaged foods area. For me, it works well for cookies, brownies, cornbread, etc -- just use the substitution written on the box. There are lots of other options out there, too, if you don't want to go that route, depending on whether you need the binding or leavening functions of eggs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried to bake some vegan recipes that used applesauce instead of eggs, but they came out way too dense. As in brick dense, lol. Will the ener-g help with that.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I tried to bake some vegan recipes that used applesauce instead of eggs, but they came out way too dense. As in brick dense, lol. Will the ener-g help with that.
Every time I use it things come out fine.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Have you tried home made egg re placers? You can make things from flax or banana that serves the same role as eggs in most baking recipes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts