VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

So since becoming vegetarian I have started drinking coffee, never did before.

The problem is I am very sensitive to caffeine and think it is effecting my sleeping

Also sometimes make me feel a bit sick and sometimes take away my appetite.

So probably best I give it up.

The only time I drink milk is in my tea and coffee so was thinking of drinking something else. Maybe some ginger/honey and lemon or some herbal teas.

Anyone drinking something HOT other then coffee?

ANYONE ELSE SUCCESSFULLY given up caffeine and have some positive feed back.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey

I used to drink a lot of strong black coffee, for several years. I didn't think it affected my sleep, I was so used to that it partly didn't, but I drank it to wake up, had my liter of coffee during the day so as to be fully awake (and because I loved the taste), and when the afternoon/evening came, I was finally fully awake, very energetic. So I got to bed late, had trouble waking up the following morning, so had to drink a lot of coffee, etc.
But last year I decided to stop completely, after having reduced it to one mug a day during several months. After a week or so of headache (which I guess was some kind of withdrawal symptom!), I finally was fine. Perfectly fine, actually. Because even though I slept less after giving it up, I was in good shape during the day, not sleepy at all! It was also 3-4 months after become vegan. All that combined, I sure have more energy than ever before, when I drank coffee and was vegetarian or omnivorous!

Now, I drink a cup of tea or herbal tea in the afternoon, not everyday but almost. Tea also has something like caffein in it, so if you're sensitive, it may be better to switch to herbal teas. Which personnaly I prefer, it's fruity, and I love fruits!

Isn't there any vegan tasty versions of hot cocoa??? I never checked, but if it exist, that could also be a good alternative.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

Hi everyone

So since becoming vegetarian I have started drinking coffee, never did before.

The problem is I am very sensitive to caffeine and think it is effecting my sleeping

Also sometimes make me feel a bit sick and sometimes take away my appetite.

So probably best I give it up.
Why not try Fairtrade decaffeinated coffee instead, if you like coffee and caffeine is the only problem?

I don't know where you are, but here in the UK it's very easy to find.

http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/products...=Decaffeinated

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, decaff, is a really good idea, I never think about this alternative. ^^
With me, it's either the real stuff or nothing!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Okay here is my .02

Prior to conceiving I gave up coffee, instead I had a warm herbal tea, Chai teas, cider or cocoa. I actually didn't have much of a hard time giving it up (i also had a green smoothie EVERY MORNING, which woke me up and curbed my coffee craving)
then when i became pregnant and had to stop drinking raspberry leaf tea, alcohol and avoiding other beverages, I found the coffee craving came back. I have been drinking decaf, but am ready to recommit to a "no coffee" lifestyle.
I suggest trying energizing drinks in it's place (green juices, or teas) or herbal teas/cocoa/cider. Anything you love the taste of.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my first DECAF cup of filter coffee this morning.. The Kick is def not there but the taste is fine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL wish I could say I dont miss the 'KICK' BUZZ of real coffee but will first get use to not having it. I know I will sleep better .

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the support. Jip only myself to blame. Knew I should not started the coffee drinking habbit ... Will HANG IN THERE... not easy thou...

Feeling really sleepy now esp since its cold and rainy here now

·
Registered
191 Posts
London. I moved there from France almost 6 months ago.
And it's quite warm and not rainy, with even a bit of sunshine from time to time. Who would've thought! ^^

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did you watch the royal wedding? kate looked elegant and beautiful.

Eish. suffering here. think I am putting my body under too much pressure since i only drink 2 cups of coffee a day. maybe i can keep my one cup in the morning and then switch to decaf for afternoon.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts