VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need to give up Pasta's and breads to lose weight? My mom is at it again saying I need proteins and to give up my Pasta and breads and I don't need breads and pastas is this the truth? Is Pasta and Breads that unhealthy for you?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Before I was a vegetarian/vegan, I was a huge fan of low carb dieting. I didn't eat bread and pasta and the like for quite a while. I did lose 35 pounds with that, but, of course, as soon as I became vegetarian and then vegan and stopped dieting (not necessarily started eating lots of bread and bread products), I gained the weight and then some (but much of that also had to do with life stressors and moving across the country several times, so I don't blame it at all on the inclusion of grains and grain products).

However, since then, I've done "diets" that have been very starch-centered (like McDougall and the like), but very very low in fat (we're talking less than 10% of calories from fat) and I lost quite well on them. However, I decided that this wasn't going to work for me long-terms so for the past few weeks, I've moved to a diet that is higher in fat (about 20% of calories) and is more balanced with less grain products and more proteins (beans, tofu). I'm not consciously trying to lose weight with less grains - I'm mostly focusing on staying 100% vegan and whole foods and trying not to "diet" but to create a healthy eating plan that I can live with. So far it's been working pretty well and I do feel that less grains and more protein is more satisfying to me.

So the point is that I think it's a myth that eliminating grains altogether will lead to more weight loss (since I've seen results in me how going starch-based but very low fat did cause me to loose weight) but, for me personally, cutting back on grains and putting more protein foods in has helped to keep me feeling balanced and satisfied.

Tam

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got back from the doctors and she said that I can have whole grains and whole wheat bread products and Pastas, so we are getting more of that or try too, sometimes it just hard that we just get the basic noodles.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I find to lose weight, just eat as natural as possible. And what I mean by natural, I mean not processed. If you buy it and it's still in the shape it originally grew in, then it's good and healthy for ya. And the healthier you eat, the easier it'll be to shed the pounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with the others that if you substitute whole grains for the refined things like pasta, and perhaps (if you like bread,) try sprouted grain bread like the Ezekiel breads, *and* you watch calories, you will lose weight. I will say that the only way to really lose weight is to pay attention to caloric intake and not go too low, but sensibly cut calories.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Portion size is key, in my opinion, if you're focusing on losing weight alone. Follow proper portions and that keeps your fat/caloric intake lower, and weight loss will happen. I also completely agree with azerea_02.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

I find to lose weight, just eat as natural as possible. And what I mean by natural, I mean not processed. If you buy it and it's still in the shape it originally grew in, then it's good and healthy for ya. And the healthier you eat, the easier it'll be to shed the pounds.
This is what I've found in my experience too. Eat the food as close as you can to the state it is found in nature, and your body will respond how it should.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts