VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bloodmobile came to my school today, and I feel bad about not donating.

I'm a pretty big guy, but I was kind of worried about how it would work out with my vegan diet.

Has anyone heard of complications stemming from vegans giving blood?

I hope this isn't a stupid question.

11,550 Posts
i never had a problem either. my little bro, who is an ovo lacto vegetarian, flaked out totally during both of the two attempts he made. but he does that over the sight of his own blood anyway, and lives mainly on beer, cola and pickled eggs, which i feel is quite possibly a significant contributing factor in his case.

if you're eating properly, and are healthy, i can't see why you'd have any problems donating blood that you wouldn't have regardless of whether you were vegan or not.

and like sarahjayn1980 said, they'll screen your blood before they take a whole bunch of it. in the UK they do a pinprick test for iron, and check your pressure, and ask loads of questions about your general and recent health, and they ask if you ate today, etc- i bet they do something very similar where you are. nobody has ever asked if i'm vegan, or told me i'm ineligable to donate due to being one.

they're pretty smart about whose blood they will and won't take- they don't want people falling over left right and centre, or getting sick from donating blood, and they don't want cruddy blood either- so next time, i'd give it a shot- if they do all the prep tests and questions, and then say you're good to donate- go for it!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I think at the time I went to donate plasma I was avoiding dairy and I never ate eggs unless they were in something anyway. They went through the finger-pricking and everything was a-ok in that department.

I found out I'm not eligible to donate for some other stupid reason (
) but I was okay in the blood department.

Wait, are you concerned with how your blood would be? Or are you concerned with how it'd affect YOU?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I gave blood once and this lady told me that i have the best blood.. its dark red, which means its healthy.

I dont think it'll effect you in any physically. If you're worried about fainting or what not.

11,550 Posts
i think it messes most people up just a little (i felt a tiny bit tired- body probably thought it was nap time after lying down for 20 minutes- and my arm ached a smidgen, and when i smoked and drank right afterwards... well... it wasn't a great idea, lol), but its generally only for a couple hours max that you feel a bit sluggish, if that. if you take it steady for the rest of the day (eg: don't go on a 20 mile run and skip dinner) you'll most likely feel perfectly alright, and your blood will start relenishing itself normally - it'll all be back within 24 hours.

see http://www.givelife2.org/donor/faq.asp

for info on loads of stuff including 'tips for a pleasant donation experience' (lol) and 'how much blood is taken, won't it make me weak?'

oh, and if you go- they have a tendancy to give you free juice (in england its tea or coffee- how healthy *rolls eyes*) and cookies, afterwards. you might wanna take your own cookies or a snack bar or something to snack on afterwards, incase they don't have veg*n cookies.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I've given blood as a vegan and I felt fine. I have slightly low iron so I've been deferred the last couple of times that I tried. I'm not anemic, but I was a few points below their minimum.

Make sure you drink lots of water both before and after and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've given blood twice before, but never again. I get too nervous when donating, and I'm just not comfortable with my blood floating around inside other people's bodies. I know it may sound weird, but I just like to keep all of mine in its original container.

Also, their policy of not letting Homosexual men donate is one of the most illogical things ever (and another reason why I choose not to donate). Two gay people (who don't have HIV) who lost their virginity together and have protected sex exclusively with each other can't donate, yet a straight man can knowingly have sex with a HIV infected woman and donate blood after a certain amount of time.

That sure sounds like discrimination to me.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

I am finally old enough to donate! How much do you have to weigh?
110 lbs, according to the American Red Cross (not sure where you're from).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
And you can't have had a tattoo within the last year. I have gotten one every year since I was 30 so that leaves me out.

And before that I weighed less than 100lbs so I couldn't.

sigh...

But the whole homosexuals can't give is a big red flag for me as well.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ive given when i was l/o plenty of times. the nurse was always impressed how much iron was in my blood.

cant wait til they come back now im vegan, so when people whine at me about iron deficiency i can be like HAH MY IRONS GREAT

really... if someone was gay and wanted to donate blood and KNEW they were safe, why not lie? i think over here its different, and you cant if youve had any form of anal sex and not got checked out.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I'd like to be able to donate blood but unfortunately I'm not allowed to because I don't meet the Australian Red Cross guidelines covering potential transmission of CJD because I used to live in England.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

And you can't have had a tattoo within the last year. I have gotten one every year since I was 30 so that leaves me out.

And before that I weighed less than 100lbs so I couldn't.

sigh...

But the whole homosexuals can't give is a big red flag for me as well.
I was just reading the NBS website yesterday, because I was thinking about doing some volunteering with them. The tattoo rule is 6 months now, so you might be able to squeak in. The no-gay men (lesbians are okay) rule is frustrating. I don't want to support discrimination, but I really think that giving blood is important, especially since I've been on the receiving side more than once.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I lie about the piercing/tattoo thing, I mean.. why is that? Incase I have Hepatitis or something along those lines? They'd test your blood before it's donated wouldn't they? That and I'm fairly certain I'm healthy all round, and don't see how that effects anything (actually if it is 6 months I wouldn't have been lying about it..geez it would be like 9 months since my last..anything.. so I take that back! But the time before hand I lied slightly)

Anyway, before donating have a bit of water.. makes it run quicker.. it doesn't hurt very much at all.. and is a quick process.

And if you go in.. (well here anyway) mmm lots of free good food (oh cept not sure if much of it is vegan.. cause yeah we're talking chocolate and yummies.)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I might go tomorrow! I'm not sure how long it's been since my last time though.. hrmm should call up and ask.

Since my car crash I've wanted to be active about giving blood regularly. (I didn't have any blood transfusions, or serious injurys.. but the thing is I COULD have.. and if except to recieve blood if I need it.. then I have to be willing to give it if I'm able.. which I am!)

And oh I felt tired for a few days after.. but I don't know if that was related to it or not.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
If your tattoo/piercing parlor is licensed in a state that regulates the facilities, you can go give blood right away. That changes faster than the red cross updates its sight, so you'd have to contact your local chapter to see if your state regulates tattoos/piercing. I think only a handful do.

Being veg shouldn't affect your ability to donate blood.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

If your tattoo/piercing parlor is licensed in a state that regulates the facilities, you can go give blood right away. That changes faster than the red cross updates its sight, so you'd have to contact your local chapter to see if your state regulates tattoos/piercing. I think only a handful do.
Unless you have a piercing below the waist.
No matter when you got it.

I asked if sometime in the future if I ever remove it, would I be eligible to donate then? They told me no, because it "insinuates a certain lifestyle."

I laughed. I said "I don't smoke. I very rarely drink. I've never done a drug in my life. I don't even eat meat. Have you SEEN your waiting room full of crackheads?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts