VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only do it twice but I love to give blood. The first time I got dizzy (maybe from needle nervousness) and this last time my blood pressure went from 120/68 to 90/68 and I felt fine. The phlebotomists where kind of worried. My iron is a little low but apparently not low enough to not donate (the lady asked me if I ate red meat, I said no than if I ate greens and I eat a ton). Do you think it would be safe for me to keep giving blood?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I cannot give blood.

My iron is borderline, but they said I could give. It was over an hour before I could get off the bed. It was another hour before they would let me leave the waiting area with a co-worker. I was unable to function for 2 days and felt like I had the worse flu ever. The nurses told me not to come back

If you felt fine after giving blood, then keep doing it. Or, donate plasma. Donating plasma is a little more complicated, as they insert 2 IVs into you - one taking out the blood, and one putting the blood, minus plasma, back into your body.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Oh crud! I just realized I don't have an excuse not to give blood anymore. I used to say "Sorry, can't, don't weigh enough." But I've cracked that 110 mark. Poo. Now I'll be obligated to be a good person.

Hehe. Argh. I just hate needles. They thought of sucking blood from my body makes me dizzy. I've been known to faint on doctors.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I used to not be able to give blood because I was underweight & I was so excited when I got myself up to 115 lbs, and then I was anemic. Thppt. I constantly battle with the anemia -- I do okay most of the year, except, it seems, when I sign up to donate. The last time I signed up (in December), my weight was fine and my iron count was fine, and the day before I was to give blood I got a 3-day flu!!
I'm determined to do it someday!

As far as your being safe, I think you're fine as long as you feel fine.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I've been reluctant bc once I had a whole lot of blood taken for tests and I was dizzy and sick for at least a day and a half, too. I could put up with that on the weekend, though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thalia,

I get dizzy once 2 vials of blood are taken from me. Don't donate blood. You won't be able to move for days. I know giving blood is important, but it does no good if they have to pull the IV out of you too soon (because you're too weak), giving them the wrong amount of blood.

A nurse said to me once that it maybe "all in your head." My rebuttal? I told her about the time I fell through a window in the middle of the night naked and had enough wits to pull the glass out of my arm (despite the shooting and oozing blood), dress myself, wrap my arm, stumble to the phone, call a cab, get from my second story apartment downstairs to the cab, get to the hospital, walk into the hospital doors and not faint until the paramedic at the door caught me. I looked at her and said, "Would you have been that calm? Trust me, I don't have a fear of blood."

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I donate blood every 3 months. It's common to be dizzy after donating. My BP is 92/63, yes it's low but I've always had low BP. I find that eating a decent meal before donating helps a bit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've been wanting to donate for years, but the only time I did I fainted and it was pretty traumatic for me. That was 7 years ago, in high school, but since then I've had various excuses-- I lived in a "3rd world" country, I got a tatoo... maybe one day I'll try donating again.

Anyway, if you feel fine, you're probably fine!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think donating if you can is wonderful. However, a lot of people just can't. The first couple of times can be harder on your body, but by the third time you should feel fine. If you don't, I'd say don't give blood anymore.

I've given it three times and have had trouble each time. The first time it took me forever until I could stand up, the second time was a little better, but I still felt funny. The third time, my blood pressure wouldn't go back up for a very long time. I felt so horrible for the next couple of days that I missed a day of work.

So, do what your body tells you to do. If you can, wonderful. If you can't, at least you tried.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey everyone,

I donate blood as often as possible. I have never had a problem although because I have low blood pressure sometimes it takes a long time for me to fill the pint. But my body responds really well to it. I am 100lbs but I have always been fine to donate and they haven't questioned it. I"ve never been dizzy at all. This past time however my iron was a little too low to donate so I have to make sure to stock up on Iron rich foods before my next date. I think those who can give should do so on a regular basis. And those who can't will find other ways to give to their communities. I'm impressed by how many people have tried to give! way to go!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
When I was an omni, I would donate every 52 days, right on schedule. After going veggie I have to wait a couple extra weeks to make sure my iron levels are ok. I would occasionally have borderline iron, even when I was omni, so now I take suppliments (not every day, mostly just when I think about it) to make sure I'm getting enough.

If you have problems with dizziness when giving blood, have them elevate your legs right when you lay down. My boyfriend has low blood pressure, and he sometimes gets dizzy when he donates. If they elevate his legs right away, that doesn't happen. Also, make sure you eat right before you go, and drink lots of water all through the day.

·
Registered
0 Posts
They did the elevated legs thing as soon as I went as, due to my borderline iron.

They've "blacklisted" me now anyways, so I can't give blood anymore
But, when I was with a Corporate Challenge company, I still went to the blood donator clinic and told them that if I could give, I would and we got the point for me showing up.

I have considered doing plasma, but I need to attend a few information sessions and such, which is a pain for me to get to ( I don't own a car and transit takes almost an hour to get there at night, when all the meetings are). Plasma donation, the nurses said, is easier on people with low iron.

The nurses also told me that many women cannot give blood.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. The mobil comes to my school about every 9 weeks, so I will keep doing it then. I tell everyone to go and do it. Most say not beacuse of the needle. But, the little finger prick that they use to test it first husts. The big needle is just uncomfortable. (maybe just to me)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I agree about the finger stick. I dread that more than the needle they use for the blood. I can't actually watch them put the needle in or watch the blood being drawn, it makes me woozy. I just read my book and try to ignore it. Fortunatly, I bleed pretty fast, so it's over quickly.

There is no way I could donate (sell) plasma. The needle is WAY bigger than the one the Red Cross uses. They defered me at the plasma place because they said my veins weren't big enough for the needle. I'm glad, though, because I took one look at that needle and was ready to walk out. I got light headed just looking at it.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Needles never used to "scare" me, used to always watch them being put in (especially liked watching blood being drawn).

Until I had an IV put in once - wrong, three times, then got infected, then was messed up in the other arm, and when they switched arms (had to due to sloppyness) they put in about 3ft of air because the nurse said it'd do me good... Haven't liked them since (have to be sedated).

Never have donated blood though (although not realted to the needle issue).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My blood donation experience was similar to Kristadb's.

I was really excited to be giving blood- it is a great thing to do. However, halfway through the nurse saw that I was not looking so good and asked me if I wanted to stop. I told her that if I have given half I might as well finish or it'd be pointless... so I did. I spent the rest of the afternoon laying on a table with legs on pillows, washcloth on head, drinking coke. I tried to sit up and they immediately told me I had to lay back down because I looked too pale and weak. When I was finally off the table I had to sit at the cookie table for a half hour or so. After spending three hours or so in the school gym blood drive I decided I HAD to go to class. My nutrition class that day was cooking something but I could not participate. I felt so light headed and weak like I was going to collapse. All the rest of the day I felt absolutely horrible.

I have decided that while giving blood is a wonderful contribution, it is not for me.

However, if anyone is thinking about donating blood I would say at least give it a try. If your body doesn't like it then just don't continue, but most people do just fine. If your body is okay with it, then you could be helping to save lives. It is worth a try!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.