VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need more motivation here. I'm totally off of cow's milk and in love with Vanilla Rice Drea, so that's not a problem, it just all the other dairy products... maybe if I get more information (and sort of gross myself out), I'll stop wolfing down ice cream... like I just did... so! Hit me with some reasons not to consume dairy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's one: you're not a calf.

What is the purpose of milk? It's for babies. period. All dairy products are milk products. All animals in the animal kingdom know to wean their babies off their milk once they are past the period of need the antibodies.

We're the only dumb enough to ignore nature, and succumb to marketing and social pressure to continue to consume dairy. And not only is it milk products, but it's not even from our own mothers. Heck, it's not even from our own species!

How twisted is that?

It's no wonder almost 2/3 of the human population is either lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy. It's not meant for us. If you want to eat dairy, then get some woman to give you her breast milk,and make cheese from that.

You're probably still too old to be breast feeding, but at least it will be your own species' antibodies, eh?

Actually, the way I got away from dairy was to "just say no" to it long enough that when I went back to it (cheddar cheese cubes on a tray at a party where there wasn't anything else for me...but strawberries), it tasted very salty and left a mucousy slime in my mouth that was noticeable enough to turn me off of it for good.

Best wishes in your efforts!

·
Registered
63 Posts
cows did not develop to produce milk for humans, they developed to produce milk for THEIR young, as we do for ours.

you are still being breastfed and unfortunately young calves are missing out on their mothers milk.

....also, you are indirectly funding the slaughthouses. you are providing cheap slaughter by buying into diary - it makes the meat industry work effecienty.

Its like if you're targeting a company thats testing on animals, you target its suppliers. If you want to do as much as possible to close down slaughterhouses as a consumer, then boycott it's suppliers.

finally, for; love, respect, compassion & animal liberation.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Another thing I want to add is that I do at times miss cheese. Out of everything, cheese is the one thing I have to remind myself not to reach for (at parties and gatherings and such). It IS a tough thing to give up...but it makes a WHOLE lot of sense to go without it, for many reasons.

Don't feel the odd man out for craving cheese. From what I remember it was very yummy, but totally not worth it.

Adieu Gouda, Edam and the like, adieu!

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Type I diabetes is an autoimmune disorder in which the body's own immune system attacks the beta cells in the Islets of Langerhans of the pancreas, destroying them or damaging them sufficiently to reduce and eventually eliminate insulin production.

A subtype of type 1 (identifiable by the presence of antibodies against beta cells) typically develops slowly and so is often confused with Type 2.

Some researchers believe that the autoimmune response is influenced by antibodies against cow's milk proteins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus_type_1

·
Registered
501 Posts
I love cheese, too. And yoghurt. I've been drinking a lot of soymilk lately, as opposed to cow's milk. Vitasoy and Natura are my favourites, thus far. I'm slowly becoming vegan.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This has helped a lot, guys. Mom made apple crisp today, and I almost reached for some after lunch. I stopped myself, because I wasn't sure what was in it. I asked her, and she replied, "Just the chopped up apples, brown sugar cinnamon, some oatmeal on the top, powdered milk, and butter." And although it looked amazing, I didn't touch it! Instead, I "steamed" my own apples in water on the stove, then added brown sugar and cinnamon to make a sauce, and ate that. It was wonderful! I feel so encouraged by it!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I grew up on a small dairy farm. Whenever I have a craving for cheese or other dairy, I remember the horrible things I saw when I was growing up on the farm.

Read the things I wrote in some of my earlier posts. When you feel a craving for dairy try to visualize some of the things I described. It's hard to enjoy your ice cream when it reminds you of someone being dragged across the floor, or a mother searching for her missing child.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...82#post1418482

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...35#post1421335

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...04#post1393104

11,550 Posts
dairy really is gross, if you think about it, as well as unhealthy. would you kneel down in a farm and suckle from a cow? then why drink it from a bottle? bleuuurgh.

get some excellent substitutes, and you'll not miss it so much. so-good makes a lush boysenberry soya-icecream, and there are loads of other yummy ones about too- i remember a chocolate chocolate ripple peanut butter swirl one, for example- there are popsicles, toffutti cuties, etc as well.

and you can use earth balance margarine, soya/rice milk, and toffutti better than cream cheese/sour cream products, etc, and make almost anything your mum does with that stuff instead- with the bonus that it won't contain bovine lactation secretions- bleeeuuurgggh. you could find out whats available near you, get some non-dairy stuff in, and ask her to help you make something tasty together, that'd probably be fun.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I wonder why people find it acceptable to drink milk from another species as an adult, yet it is considered gross to drink it from our own species as an adult. Yet they consider it pretty natural to drink it from our own species as a babe...

mmm, cheese made from human milk...

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

you cant make it!

Google "human cheese" or something similar, someone tried and couldnt get it to work
Well, huh. I learn something new each time I come to this board.

What about human milk butter?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts