VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey chickadees...

anyone here ever been on an elimination diet?!

last week i went to a local doctor who incorporates chinese medicine/blood group diet beliefs and regular medical practice. the reason being that i haven't had a period in over two years...

yeah.. i know... issues...

i as previouly underweight but i certainly am not now, eating very healthily vegan, about 7 meals a day, heaps of breads and grains and fruit and veges etc...

anyway, but i kind of went as a last resort because of the period thing, that and i have taken mysle fof anti-depressents and i wanted another opinion on any small lifestyle things to consider to help with depression... maybe some magic herb or something!

anyway... erm... he put me on a very harsh diet which basically consists of white rice and only 6 vegetable which are not very exciting... cabbage, beetroot, beans and peas, turnips, celery (i HATE celery!)... two weeks to start with, and then he will give me some progesterone cream (which i assume must be applied DOWN THERE... NORMALLY given to menopausal women!)

needless to say i've just had a very traumatic weekend, being very moody and hard to live with and tired... before decided yesterday that i think he is VERY WRONG... i thought i could try anything once, but this is ridiculous...

when i told him i was happy with my vegan diet and it felt right for me he said that a drug addict would say the same thing!!! hello!!!!

this man is anti-bread and pro-meat basically, and it realised it was stupid sticking to everything else he told me if i was eliminating the meat anyway...

so, back to square one!

i've had all the tests, everything is normal with me, except that i am putting on more weight than i want to and that is freaking me out a bit... but i have been a bit lazy lately, winter is arriving here and i just want to sit in front of the heater!

anyway.. just wanted to tell my little story and see if anyone has any advice or similar anecdotes...

in particular... any opinions on a no-bread diet?! i work in an organic bakery, so obviously it forms the staple of my diet which is why the doctors advice was such a shock to my system...

maybe i could cut down on bread a bit (i should say he links it all to high hystamine levels in my system, which most of the things i eat contribute to, lots of beta0carotene and niht shade veges and soy products, beans, bread etc...)

but a base of white rice and cabbage gets pretty tired after two days... i'm just not up for it!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Kat, I wouldn't follow that diet, it doesn't make sense. I am from China and I don't think you can believe all those "miracle remedies". The doc doesn't seem to be a well-trained MD, if I were you I would ditto him and find another doc.

Hugs!!!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I don't think this makes a lot of sense and I would DEFINATLEY seek a second opinion. It just doesn't seem to me that those foods would even meet your nutrional needs completely, and if they do, that certainly isn't the well-rounded, diverse diet that nutrionists and doctors generally advocate. I think this sounds like fruitcake juice! Go see another doctor.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
765 Posts
Stick with your normal, healthy vegan diet and definitely go back to the doctor. It could be any number of factors causing you not to get your period. Don't give up until they give you definate answers. Be sure to tell them about being underweight in the past, the anti-depressants and any other things that may be relevant.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The doctor would have lost me on the white rice part. Eating white rice is only slightly better than eating wheat gluten. All the vegetables he recommended will help clean your gut, and give you some iron, which could be just what you need.

I would recommend giving up all breads (except ones made with sprouted grains) for a couple of weeks, to see how you feel.

Once I went six months without getting my period. It also happened to be at a time when I had zero sex. As soon as I started having sex again, my period came.

Do you eat a lot of sugar?

I think if the recommended diet is going to cause more distress than good, don't do it. In healing it's important to have faith in the remedy you choose.

I would love to work in an organic bakery.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys! just the confirmation i need!

you wouldn't believe it... he's recommended so highly around here, probably because he advocates the meaty diet for those who don't wanna give that up...

i can see the anti bread thing could be beneficial, and i have done it in the past, but that was more due to an eating disoredr than genuine nutritional concerns...

i did tell him about the antidepressants and all my blood tests, EVERYTHING that was relevant... but even though i'm sure he is a smart and knowledgable man, it seems he has a narrow opinion of what works...

i recently went to a women'e health professional and she throught my period should come back soon, and recommended giving it a few more months before going to a gyno for some hormone booster of sorts to kcik start the old system again...

so i think i'll be sticking to that advice!

baby, i don't eat a lot of sugar, i try to avoid it actually... i have some tracle or molasses on toast in the mornings sometimes and that's it.

anyway... i will be going back to him... to tell him he is wrong!

i'm still off the bread, except for one slice of amazing rye sourdough vege bread at work this morning (if you saw where i work, you would truly see the tragedy in his recommendations... my boss is a true god of bread baking)...

that was the first bit in four days... so we'll see how i go...

baby... what do you mean by sprouted grains.... do you think 100% organic n whole grain breads are the same?!?!

my work does a lot of whole meal, wholewheat and rye sourdoughs, i love them and they make me fel good, lots og energy etc... but i must admit they give me wind!

and how much wind is a good thing?!?! *confused*

·
Registered
569 Posts
KatNew - I haven't read through everyone's comments to you, so hopefully this is not a repititious answer.

I, too, went for a long time without having periods. All the medical docs that I saw thought nothing of my being periodless. Some thought it was a blessing to go without, one told me it was because I was overweight, and others just wanted me to use birth control pills to force the periods.

This year, I finally went to see my reflexologist about this problem and a host of others. To make a long story short, she agreed that I have hormonal problems and treated me with a combination of reflexology and essential oils. After years of docs and no periods (FYI: I am only 35) I finally got results from her. She told me to drink more water, eat healthier (like my veggie diet - she is not an advocate of any particular diet, as she eats meat, but she also is NOT against being vegan/veggie) and avoid sweets. I basically eat veggies, whole grains (not the refined breads from the supermarket) and drink herbal teas and water. My first period after her treatment was like a flood, but after that, they are heavy for maybe a couple of days and the rest of the time it's not bad. There generally is very light cramping, if any at all. It's like she had to open the flood gates first, but once opened, things are working well. After six months, my period seemed to stall (in other words, I felt like I needed to start, but it was late). So, I went back for a treatment with the essential oils and that very night, I started.

After all the years of dealing with this problem, I would strongly recommend a GOOD reflexologist. If you lived near me, I'd give you my reflexologist's name and number in a heartbeat. She's great! I wish you the best.

FYI: I also tried the creams and they only made me very moody, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.