1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.com/news/907803.asp?0dm=C15MH

I like this part, because I always cook garlic:

Quote:
Another misconception is that garlic must be consumed raw to be beneficial. It is true that when garlic is cooked immediately after peeling, certain enzymes are inactivated and cancer-fighting benefits are lost. But if you peel the garlic, let it rest 15 minutes (while you chop the other ingredients) and then cook it, the full benefits remain.
whaddya think? I know there are lots of garlic lovers abound at veggieboards!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"It is true that when garlic is cooked immediately after peeling, certain enzymes are inactivated and cancer-fighting benefits are lost. But if you peel the garlic, let it rest 15 minutes (while you chop the other ingredients) and then cook it, the full benefits remain."

That sounds absurd. Peeling garlic, letting it "rest" for 15 minute, and then cooking it, results in less loss of enzymes and more cancer-fighting benefits, than peeling garlic, letting it "rest" less than a minute or hardly at all, and then cooking it? Just how exactly does garlic that has had 15 minutes of post-peeling "rest" cook differently than garlic that has had little or no post-peeling rest? This is absurd.

Now, if you were to throw the garlic into the cooking pot a minute before 15 minutes of cooking was completed, instead of at the beginning of that 15 minutes, that might make a difference -- but that is not what was said. Furthermore, it undoubtedly is better peel the garlic just before you put it into the pot, instead of letting it "rest" unpeeled, before putting it in. I would suggest cooking the other ingredient, and then peeling the garlic while they are cooking (not while you are chopping them). The putting the garlic into the pot a minute before the cooking is completed.

In other words, simply don't cook it as long as the other ingredients. Duh.

These magazine-format articles are intended to be entertainment, not credible sources of scientific information. They are often knocked off by reporters that have been told our surveys have found there is a public interest in this subject, could you please research and write a little entertaining article on the subject, to get readers and help us make money? It doesn't matter that you have education in journalism but no education in science, just read a few articles on the subject elsewhere, don't bother referencing them, and put what they said into your own words. It doesn't matter if, having no scientific education, you misinterpret the scientific information, and end up making absurd claims, just help us fill up some space, ok?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
wow, cool to know! i love garlic and when sick i hate to eat it raw. thanks for the info. i was just thinking about this when i ate it cooked instead of raw because my throat was hurting.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
oneness, I don't think anything in this thread or the linked-to web page has provided you with any truthful info about garlic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmmmmm garlic is so incredibly good. I couldn't live without it. It has almost zero calories and no fat so I can eat as much as I want!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I get a headache from raw garlic, or too much cooked garlic. If I peel a large amount of garlic, let it sit in a plate for 15 minutes, and then cook it, I don't get any more of a headache, the consequences eating this aren't any more like the consequences of eating raw garlic, than if I peel the same amount of garlic, and then cook it right away.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Did you know that you can meet your daily nutritional needs for calcium with half a kilo of garlic? Yes, you can!!! (Well, you'll get about 900mg of calcium, and this is enough.)

Another reason to like garlic! (As well as it's excellent flavour, which makes garlic essential for almost anyone's kitchen.)

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If you don't believe me, check out www.foodgenius.com and search for garlic. in 100g there's 181mg of calcium. Multiply by 5 and you get about 900mg and 500g of garlic.

But broccoli is a better way to get your calcium.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm the same way. I look at a recipe and I'm like "oh, I see I need a teaspoon of minced garlic---how about 4??" Mmm, garlic is GOOD!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I love roasing whole heads with just a bit of olive oil overtop. The cloves are so sweet and good and it doesn't matter if you eat them with crackers (like my MIL does) or just straight from the bulb (like me), garlic is yummy! I could eat a whole head in one sitting!

Thanks, Loki for the information about garlic. Now, if someone says "what's that smell?" I can say "That's the smell of me getting my calcium"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.