VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a co-worker with a very sick ten year old son. He has leukemia and is not responding to the treatment. He is having a really hard time and has expressed to his mom that he doesn't want to continue with the treatment and that he wants to die. It's heartbreaking.

Some of us at work want to put together a nice package for him but I'm drawing a blank as to what to put in it. I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys. He's pretty sick/weak. He's not really eating. He was just re-admitted to the hospital because he had some sort of seizure yesterday and now they think he may be bleeding into his brain. Any suggestions of what a ten year old might like will be appreciated!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hm. I think it kinda depends on the kid and their personality. Some possibilities though:

comic books

markers/paper/stencils/cool art stuff

handheld video type games (you can get some cheapo ones at Target, etc.)

DVDs, if there is a player in his room

MP3 or portable CD player w/music and CDs

action figures (but which ones depend on what he likes, I suppose)

Legos, Bionicle, etc.

stuff that's "gross" (fake vomit, eyeballs, etc).

a book/kit with magic tricks

travel size games

That is truly sad. Has mom said whether they are choosing to discontinue the treatment?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks IamJen..I love the 'stuff that is gross'!

Right now they had to stop treatment because his "numbers" are too low. I do not think she will give up, however.

Yes, it is sad and I failed to mention that she is a single mom and also has a 12 year old autistic daughter.

We are doing what can in a financial capacity with donations and fund raising and donating our sick time. We just wanted to try and lift John's spirits a little if it is at all possible.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
wow, that's very sad. You are great people for doing this for him

Jen's suggestions were great. I'm racking my brain but it's difficult without knowing much about him. Ten year olds are all as different from each other as thirty year olds are

I would be tempted to get him books. They were an amazing escape for me when I was that age (and they still are) and he has much more serious matters to take his mind off then I ever did.

Good luck with creating for him a surprise he will love.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm not good with gift suggestions without knowing the kid... But have you all thought about maybe getting small gifts for the mother and sister as well? Or at least the sister (since you are already helping out the mother with donations and sick time)? It must be so hard to see a family member going through that, and it would probably mean a lot to know that she isn't forgotten.

Like Isowish, I was obsessed with reading at that age. My brother, on the other hand, would probably have appreciated a new video game, if he has a player. Or, like Jen said, a handheld game. Depending on his personality, a book of crossword puzzles, sudoku, etc. might help keep his mind off things. Jen has a lot of good suggestions, so I'm not going to try anymore (I don't know much about ten year old boys).

You sound like very caring co-workers.

11,550 Posts
i'd go with the books and cd's ideas, if he's really weak- a few books on cd might be a good idea too, he can just lie there, close his eyes, and get lost in the stories, without having to make the effort to actually read and hold the book up (which can be pretty tiring in itself, when you're ill). amazon has a load of them, some are a little expensive, but you could probably borrow them from a library too.

a mini dvd player sounds cool too- perhaps you could arrange a system amongst your work, and friends and family, so that every few days he gets to write a small list of movies he'd like borrowed from the video store/library (the library is way cheaper in england for movie rental), which someone can deliver for him- that way he's always got new movies to look forward to, and he's got a degree of control over what he gets to see- little things to keep going for, if that makes sense. even some of the less new kids movies are pretty fun, doesn't just have to be new releases.

same with a handheld game console- and game loans, knowing that he'll get to play such and such a game on friday, might make thursday a little more bearable.

also, did anybody mention jigsaw puzzles yet? maybe they suck... i don't know.... but they're good in that you can do a bit and come back to them (specially if you have a roll up puzzle mat), and all you need is a table/tray- you can do them if you can sit up in bed, and everyone who comes to visit can get involved in doing a bit. when they're done you can even varnish them and frame them as combined art, and a record of your acheivements, lol. they have some pretty cool 3d ones around that i've seen too.

also with the art stuff- good idea- you can get some pretty fun stuff thats not too labour intensive- crayola window clingers are fun- you use tubes of plasticised paint to draw outlines and fill in images (your own, or presupplied ones), and make repositionable sort of stained glass 'whatevers'. he could have a whole possee of transparent frogs, monsters, aliens or bugs stuck to his window by the end of the week, if he got into it, and could make them for other people too.

badges are pretty easy to make too, you just need a circle cutter, a pile of old comics, and a few pins and a bit of tape (you can buy proper stuff, or make a do it yourself kit). he could make badges for all the nurses, with their favourite things on them, cut letters out for names, colour bits in, etc.

i don't know if he'd be allowed, but some kind of very basic gardening might be cool too- planting some quick growing seeds, and learning about how to look after them, then watching them grow, and looking after them, could be great fun- and again, something to look forward to, but which has short term goals- you could grow an avacado pit in a glass, or shoot some beans, sprouts/cress will grow on tissue paper in 14 days, and then you get to eat it! you can plant a few different types of sprout seeds in cool patterns and see how they come out, or plant them in weird things like empty eggshells, and they become crazy 'hair'.

-hope everything works out ok, and that he's feeling better soon.

11,550 Posts
also, there are lots of free paper models and origami style bits and pieces online, free for download, and printer manufacturers websites often have lots of cool printable stuff, as does crayolas website, as well as lots of other 'cheap kids crafts' sites (googleable).

a few off the top of my head:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...nt/papercraft/

(has absolutely loads of free pdfs to make- some will probably be way too hard, but others- like the beetles and snails and maybe a few motorbike parts should be a cinch.)

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/pages/freedownloads.html

(this site sells downloadable paper models, but also has a free 'nodding sheep' (its very cool and uses cams but isn't hard to make) and 'snap up squid'- good for suprising people with)

http://familyfun.go.com/printables/

(the snap up frog on this page is super easy to make)

http://www.coloringbookfun.com/

(a range of colouring book pages to print)

...ok... will stop typing now, lol.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks so much, everyone, for the suggestions. And I will definitely include something for the sister as well. Good idea! And I love the mini DVD idea, too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts