Quote:
Researchers catch giant squid

POSTED: 9:58 a.m. EST, December 22, 2006

Story Highlights

Team films live giant squid for first time

Researchers say species not endangered

Longest giant squid on record is 60 feet

Whales, large sharks feed on giant squid

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A Japanese research team has succeeded in filming a giant squid live -- possibly for the first time -- and says the elusive creatures may be more plentiful than previously believed, a researcher said Friday.

The research team, led by Tsunemi Kubodera, videotaped the giant squid at the surface as they captured it off the Ogasawara Islands south of Tokyo earlier this month. The squid, which measured about 24-feet long, died while it was being caught.
The rest, as well as a link to view the video: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science....ap/index.html

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Poor squid

I've always wondered why they don't just attach video cameras to the backs of sperm whales to get some good footage of giant squid (giant squid are a main prey of sperm whales). I was watching a show where they attached locators to the backs of sperm whales with a suction cup so they could track their movements. The suction eventually gave out and fell off, not harming the whales. Why couldn't they do the same with a video camera?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Poor squid

I've always wondered why they don't just attach video cameras to the backs of sperm whales to get some good footage of giant squid (giant squid are a main prey of sperm whales). I was watching a show where they attached locators to the backs of sperm whales with a suction cup so they could track their movements. The suction eventually gave out and fell off, not harming the whales. Why couldn't they do the same with a video camera? Then they wouldn't have to drag these creatures up on a hook.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts