VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mum has this face she pulls whenever the word 'vegan' is mentioned. It started years ago when I first mentioned wanting to go vegan, carried on when I went vegan, and has evolved into a face whenever I'm eating food around her. So my brother and my boyfriend (both omnivorous) decided to get a little revenge this weekend, when she refused to take me to a vegan restaurant for my graduation party because there "wouldn't be anything for normal people to eat."

They both ate vegan for the entire weekend, and whenever my mum would say that any of our food looked nice, or asked to have some, they'd go "you wouldn't like it, it's vegan!". This happened with the biscuits I passed around, my boyfriend's soup, my vegetable dish at the chinese place, the salad I had for lunch, a portion of onion rings, a veg burger and chips, a punnet of strawberries and about a half dozen other food items.

I think she may have got the point xD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,134 Posts
*chuckle* I'm glad that I have mostly reasonable parents.
People eat vegan stuff nearly every day, they just don't realize it. OMG..put down that apple!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Haha, they sound awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Haha that's genius! It's nice of them to stick up for you, too - not many omnis would do that, in my experience. I hope your mother won't made so many snide comments like that in future - "normal people", I ask you?

Congrats on graduating, by the way - what subject did you study? Was it your first degree or postgrad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Haha that's genius! It's nice of them to stick up for you, too - not many omnis would do that, in my experience. I hope your mother won't made so many snide comments like that in future - "normal people", I ask you?

Congrats on graduating, by the way - what subject did you study? Was it your first degree or postgrad?
My boyfriend and brother are my two biggest fans. They've both significantly reduced their meat consumption because of me, and they've both made veganism so easy for me by reading labels and telling people what I will and won't eat. My brother is especially funny with it; he once gave me a lecture about how I could never ever go back to meat when I idly mentioned that I was craving a poptart.

And I graduated with a BA in Philosophy. Going on to postgrad in the fall!
 

·
Ankle Biter
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
What a great story.
I hope you Mom comes around soon.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
Wow that sounds awesome! That's great that you have a supportive boyfriend and brother willing to help out in bad situations dealing with your mother!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Your boyfriend sounds like mine
He's an omni, but since dating me he eats mostly vegetarian. I'd say he now eats meat about once per month, maybe a little more.

My dad is like your mom, constantly giving me crap about being vegan and refusing to eat vegan food. When he does that and my boyfriend is around, my boyfriend will say, "It's actually really good." or "I love vegan food, it's better than stuff omnivores eat."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I intend on getting a slight dig at our omni friends in a couple of weeks. When I went Vegetarian 4 years ago for a year I was literally flamed by our so called friends. So when I go to a BBQ in a couple of weeks, am going to bring some killer chocolate/coffee cupcakes that I've converted to being Vegan (you literally can't tell that they are), and see if they notice the difference. I've told the host what my intentions are, and that I'm going to bring my own food to it, and he's fine, and is looking forward to trying out the cupcakes. There's nothing I hate more than close minded Omni's who view any lifestyle other than their own, and abnormal and should be wiped off the planet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

My boyfriend and brother are my two biggest fans. They've both significantly reduced their meat consumption because of me, and they've both made veganism so easy for me by reading labels and telling people what I will and won't eat. My brother is especially funny with it; he once gave me a lecture about how I could never ever go back to meat when I idly mentioned that I was craving a poptart.
That's great! It's wonderful you have such supportive and nice people in your life.
Many people in mine are very similar, explaining for me what vegan means, checking foods when I'm not there and telling me "hey there's this X in X you can eat!" or buying it for me


Hopefully your mum got the point! You should have gone to the resturaunt anyway though, it was you who graduated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by belledozer View Post

I intend on getting a slight dig at our omni friends in a couple of weeks. When I went Vegetarian 4 years ago for a year I was literally flamed by our so called friends. So when I go to a BBQ in a couple of weeks, am going to bring some killer chocolate/coffee cupcakes that I've converted to being Vegan (you literally can't tell that they are), and see if they notice the difference. I've told the host what my intentions are, and that I'm going to bring my own food to it, and he's fine, and is looking forward to trying out the cupcakes. There's nothing I hate more than close minded Omni's who view any lifestyle other than their own, and abnormal and should be wiped off the planet.
Vegan baking is the way forward! Hope the cupcakes turn out well


Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

That's great! It's wonderful you have such supportive and nice people in your life.
Many people in mine are very similar, explaining for me what vegan means, checking foods when I'm not there and telling me "hey there's this X in X you can eat!" or buying it for me


Hopefully your mum got the point! You should have gone to the resturaunt anyway though, it was you who graduated!
Supportive people are awesome <3

And it's easier to just let my mum have her way usually. If we had gone to the vegan place, she would have been grumpy and snide all night, and I wanted a nice atmosphere more than anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Your mom sounds like somebody who needs to grow up and realize that her opinion isn't the only one that counts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,067 Posts
I empathize, at present I have the back of an old guy a couple of houses from here, and his back has all these itches which really annoy me, so I don't know why I agreed to use his.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top