VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on how to get vegetables (or at least the nutrients from them...) while trying to ramp up the starch and fat in my diet and avoid "filling up" on produce?

Of course I know the basics...dried fruit, smoothies, juice, etc. But any creative methods or natural supplements people know of?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Eat some of the higher calorie veggies like rutabagas, winter squash, etc. and add some healthy fats to whatever veggies you're eating. Olive oil, earth balance, flax oil, etc. can add calories to a meal very healthfully. Eating veggies in combination with grains also helps, pasta with veggies and a nice rich sauce is a favorite meal of mine. I especially like vegan cream sauce w/ spinach, mushrooms, broccoli and pine nuts tossed with quinoa noodles, or brown rice with shredded veggies, soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Broccoli pesto is great. You can make some pasta and smother it in broccoli pesto made out of cooked broccoli, garlic, salt, and either olive oil or nuts. I usually make mine with olive oil. You can also make pesto with certain herbs like basil or with greens.

Dipping your raw veggies in peanut or almond butter is another idea.

For breakfast, you could have apple and banana slices with nut butter and ground flaxseed. That's what I have for breakfast almost every day.

You can get some good calories by topping your salads with nuts, olives, avocado, and olive oil.

I've found that the mixture of sugar (fruit) and fat (nuts) helps with weight gain. Dried fruit and nut mixtures are great.

Earth Balance tastes great on cooked veggies and it can provide some calories.

The health food stores also have green powders. Peaceful Planet makes a protein powder out of quinoa and sprouts and greens and fruit. There are also other ones out there and you could make a nice smoothie with fruit, soymik, flaxseed, the green or protein powder, and throw in some nut butter for some extra calories.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Eat more starchy vegetables and higher calorie fruits. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, winter squash, beans, peas, avocado, bananas, oranges, mango, dried fruits, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts