VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I shall respond, even though you made me do math to figure out your military times >.< lol

I would definitely get a good multivitmain! I think everyone should be on one. That said, and you know this... go see a doctor and get some bloodwork done. That will tell you if there's certain nutrients you are really deficient on that are making you tired. For example, maybe you're anemic, do you bruise easily? Hypothyroidism makes you exhausted and gain weight despite all efforts. If you're feeling a little down lately, that might be contributing...Etc, etc but it's nothing anyone can diagnose on here.

I have no idea what donating plasma twice a week does to a person, I'd talk with your doc about that too.

It doesn't sound like you're getting much protein, unless you eat a lott of black beans! As I've done the whole "can't eat for two days until I'm paid" thing as well, I do know some healthy cheap foods. You seem to know about the beans, not even a dollar for a one pound bag is as good as it gets! Look through your shopping ads, a lot of times there's really good promotions on canned foods. That way you can get corn, peas, mixed veggies, green beans, etc a lot cheaper than fresh produce. Not as healthy as fresh, and try to get the no salt added too. Tofu is also good, I can usually get a package for $2. Also noticed you didn't mention any fats, so can I say... peanut butter! I think I've been eating it every day for the past few months. Mixed in with oatmeal, and a banana or apples=amazing.

Also, there's these packets called Emergen-C. It's a vitamin packet you mix in water full of vitamin c and a bunch of other vitamins and minerals I can't think of. It really helps for those afternoon crashes, VitC and B vitamins are told to increase energy levels. Maybe go outside and get some exercise as well since you don't move around much? Being "lazy" makes me tired, so getting some sun and movement might be a good idea.

Just some suggestions that helped me, idk if they'll work for you but good luck!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I think you are getting a lot of carbs with those beans but no veggies or fruits. I think a really well rounded diet might improve how you feel. Are you depressed at all, esp since you aren't exercising much? are you getting out in the sun? I definately agree that you should see your Dr for an eval. A 20 yr shouldn't be tired.

If you are not eating properly, those plasma donations could be adding up to your not feeling up to par, esp since it's twice a week. I'd take a break from them for a week or two, and let your body recoup. Would it be possible to go to a food pantry if money is tight? you might be able to get some canned fruit or veggies that way?

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Sounds like you're eating way too many grains and not enough vegetables. Grains are dehydrating, cause acidity, inflammation, and have a very poor fatty-acid ratio. Eat more vegetables, even if it's frozen spinach. Think GREEN LEAFY vegetables. Also eat more fresh/raw where the water content hasn't been removed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yap. I second the motion. Exercise is great way. For supplementation. i don't know if energy-booster will be okay on your lifestyle. At your end of your thread, you've thinking for a multivitamins.. Hmm..Just an opinion for me, i think it's okay. It will give you an additional energy to get through your day. What particular multivitamins is okay for you as vegan? Just thinking a multivitamins from Maxalife and One Day. But still, the decision is in your hands...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Talk to your doctor. I am constantly tired and go to he doctors every few months for tests as they have no idea what the problem is.

Another thing you could try is going to sleep earlier if possible. I was once told that your body naturally starts to wake you up around 5 am so you sleep less sound after this time.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
now that explains why my husband goes to bed early and wakes up around 5 am reguardless what time he goes to bed.
My husband has problems like this but he refuses to eat Veggies and leafy greens, he says they make him sick.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're donating plasma twice a week? Dude, get more iron. It's not an immediate effect, the tiredness, but it sounds like low iron to me. Also, make sure you're getting enough B12. Nutritional yeast and blackstrap molasses are a hard and fast way to get those two nutrients if you don't want to take a multivitamin (as a vegan, you'll have to watch out for D3 since it usually comes from lanolin, and I know multis can get expensive).

They should be testing you before you donate, have they ever commented on what your hemoglobin/iron levels are at?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts