VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... it's my favorite time of year again and I'm getting ready to start up the garden. I do mostly container/ pot gardening because I live so close to the ocean that it's mostly sand and tomatoes don't seem to like that.

I have a few questions if any one feels like answering them that would be awesome

1. Anyone know about heirloom plants? Are they finiky? Reliable? Produce as much... produce lol? I read contradicting things.

2. What's the best kind of tomatoes? I've grown Beefstake and Roma's the beefstakes did better but had to battle some calcium defficiency rotting. Suggestions?

3. What's a good soil to use? I tend to go organic but lately I've had some root rot and ant infestations in the pots.... not good.

Funny story: 2 years ago I'm in the garden store and asking questions to this woman who seems relatively intelligent. I'm asking about soil and since I'm going to eat what I grow from it I'm curious. I ask about the Miracle Grow vegetable blend and what all the bajillion chemicals are and how safe that is and she responds, "Well it has to be safe otherwise they wouldn't sell it." I tried not to laugh at her and thanked her for her opinion but bought an organic, ingredient familiar bag of topsoil.

Just thought I'd share that.... any resonses greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you!! I was starting to think no one was going to reply

I just got a book with regions in it to help specify what would grow here. I'll try ordering some seeds from superseeds... thank you!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hello Beachbnny, Heirrloom do not seem to produce as much, but I find them to be better tasting and hardier. For an eating tomatoe I like the Brandywine, and this year I am going to try the Black Russian Krim. If you want a paste or canning tomatoe try the Amish paste. Organic soil is best just remember to add some sand as well to lightn it up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I grew heirloom squash last year and they were wonderful. This year I've planted some heirloom carrots. I'm excited about them because of the wonderful colors. Haven't had any problems so far.

My husband built large enclosed, raised garden beds a few years ago. We compost everything we can.

This last weekend was spent planting the rest of the beds. One of the beds had already been planted with lots of beets - both golden and purple. I believe the tomatoes are Early Girl (?).

We are in the far southwest tip of Southern California. We still had tomatoes on the bushes from last season until the last week in January. They just never taste as good as they do in August though.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh My Gosh- thank you both so much! I'm about ready to start the garden up. But just last week it snowed and then was 80... don't think the plants would like that.

I've always been a container/ pot gardener but this year I want to plant so much that I'd like to get used to planting in the ground. A raised garden may be perfect- good idea! I live at the beach so sand will be easy I just never knew that. I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener but I do get better with practice.

Thank you for all the good advice
I'll be putting it to good use...

·
Registered
249 Posts
When it comes tomatoes, when I grew them previously I liked to mix it up a bit and not just grow roma, but also cherry and even yellow. Yellow taste amazing and my whole family loved them even just sliced. Another website that I like to check for ideas, not just on gardening but recipes too is bhg.com - they have a lot of good tips on there and they just redesigned the site too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ditto what most have already said about heirloom tomatoes. I don't get as many, but the colors and flavors are fantastic, and I personally think they're more fun. As an added bonus, next year you may get "volunteer plants" coming up from the seeds of this year's fruit. Try a yellow variety - they're excellent!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Miracle Grow brand has just this year come out with an organic soil mix. You can check at your local garden center or home improvement store's garden section.

Heirloom plants are those cultivated prior to 1950. They are considered old-fashioned varieties and are not hybrids. Let me explain a bit of genetics...

An heirloom means you can collect and save the seeds of that plant and grow another plant just like it from those seeds. A hybrid means the plant was an offspring of two different parents. If you collect seeds from a hybrid, you won't get an exact duplicate of what you had but will most like get something resembling one of the parents.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
I have done the raised garden as well when i was living out the beach

several layers of newspaper at the base , pea straw , grass clippings , compost that sort of thing just layer it up it , was very successfully and no digging

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome! Thanx for the garden tips! I'm contemplating the above-groud garden deal because of all the sand content here. I've never grown anything in the dirt always in pots... so this year will be different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.