VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my boyfriend's mother is coming up tomorrow afternoon and wants to go out to lunch. I suggested my favorite local restaurant that I know has a couple vegan options (last time she came up we went to dinosaur bbq, I don't know if you guys know what that is but its basically a meat pit. the waiting room smells like pork. it was disgusting.) Anyway, she doesn't want to go there. She wants to go to like 5 Guys (burger joint) or IHop. Has anyone successfully eaten vegan at IHop outside of a salad? Any tips in general for eating out at a nonvegan restaurant?
Thanks

<3
Heather

·
Registered
468 Posts
ihop would be pretty hard...never been there since i've been vegan, but went to perkins and dennys and they had just one or two side dishes that were safe, and the staff at large chains like that aren't usually willing to go out of their way and cook something different. maybe suggest something different, like italian, mexican or asian cuisine? If you must go to ihop your best bet is probably asking them to prepare something with items from their menu already, like whatever veggies they might put in an omelette with some hash browns or potatoes and making a skillet...but i don't know, i've seen chicken stock in hash browns before so i even avoid those.

burger joint well yea, enough said.

i would just work together and find something different entirely. maybe go to a place that things aren't labeled vegan but you know they are. check out vegguide.org too if u want.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I have a really dirty mind...

Seriously though, I'm not familiar with IHOP but my standby with restaurants I'm not sure of is french fries. Not exactly an ideal meal but fries and a salad are a good backup to have if you get stranded somewhere with mostly meat on the menu. I've only been in that situation once or twice though, generally even if there isn't a vegan option there's something you can easily make vegan by switching some ingredients around or requesting substitutions. For instance, you could get nachos but with no meat or dairy and extra guac and salsa, or pasta with marinara and no cheese but extra veggies or something like that. Hopefully someone else has some more specific IHOP knowledge, I'm sure there's something tasty and vegan there. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately she's not interested in eating anywhere else (she's a bit difficult and very stubborn). I plan to just eat beforehand. I couldn't really find anything on their online menu. Thanks for the help though guys! I liked the nachos idea

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hmm can you email them (if there is time) or if not phone them, explain that you're vegan and plan to visit their resturaunt with friends, and ask if there is anything that can be modified for you to eat? That's probally your best bet, if you alert them ahead the chef may be able to make something new.

If not, eating before hand and just having a salad may be the best you can do - I have no idea what the places you said were like/etc so I don't know, but if you're boyfriends mum insists on eating there, there's not much else you can do. I'm really supprised she's so stubourn, it's really quite rude, I've never met anyone be like that before (infact usually people insist I name the place so I can eat there, completley opposite, and I feel really guilty!).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Take some fruit or granola bars in your purse in case you get hungry and eat 'em right there in the restaurant if you want to. It's not your fault she invited a vegan out to a restaurant that a vegan can barely eat at.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That really is rude of her to insist on going somewhere where you're likely to have more difficulty. Does she know you're vegan?

I would call ahead and ask what they can do for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow if those are the only places she will go to she must be really obese. I can't imagine anyone actually requesting IHOP for lunch... ugh.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Here's a one person's experience (positive) eating vegan at IHOP: Marty's Flying Vegan Review.

Here's the link from Vegan Eating Out. Looks like the fruit cup and oatmeal (without milk) are vegan, as well as the fries and hashbrowns if you don't mind potential cross contamination (cooked on the same grill/same oil).

If you have a Denny's near you, they should have a vegan burger now.

I'm not sure about 5 Guys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chickenpet: thanks for being rude. She's my boyfriends mom, by some respects a family member and a nice person. And no she is not obese at all. Ihop & 5 guys are just close to my house and she had already drove an hour and a half to get there.

Thanks for the advice the rest of you. I didn't ask her to change the restaurant because Jake (my boyfriend) already talked her out of 5 Guys and some hotdog place. She isn't aware I'm vegan (I've only been vegan about a month, l/o veg for 3 years so she knows about that) also she's deaf and we don't communicate a lot. And like I said it was like her 4th attempt at choosing a restaurant and she was paying the bill so I wasn't going to be so picky. I ended up with a veggie quesadilla with lots of salsa and a side of fries. Not terrible. I was just curious what you all do when you end up going to a restaurant with few vegan options. It was my first time facing that situation and actually succeeding so it felt good

Runnervegan: Thank you for that link! I wish I had seen it before I left. haha

EDIT: Just caught on to all the references to the title. hahah sorry for being misleading. :p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Glad you found some food. I guess that's the difference between finding a vegan meal in an omni resturaunt at your own leisure (= very easy) and finding a vegan meal at a resturaunt someone else picks (=much more difficult). In the former, you're going out to enjoy a nice meal so its fair enough to want something good, but if you're going out with family/friends/co-workers the real point is the company and the food is secondary to that, so it's not a big deal to put up with just a salad and eat when you get home/before hand.

From your origional post, I think people (or at the very least, I did) assumed that your boyfriends mum knew you were vegan and she was just being rude or picky. Your second post shows the problem with assumptions! Clearly the situation was different to that. I'm glad it all worked out!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

From your origional post, I think people (or at the very least, I did) assumed that your boyfriends mum knew you were vegan and she was just being rude or picky. Your second post shows the problem with assumptions! Clearly the situation was different to that. I'm glad it all worked out!
Agree.... the description of her as difficult/stubborn likely led to those assumptions, at least for me. Lord knows I've dealt with people like that.

To the OP, glad that you found something to eat, and that you and BF's mom get along better than some of us thought.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenpets View Post

Wow if those are the only places she will go to she must be really obese. I can't imagine anyone actually requesting IHOP for lunch... ugh.
how rude are you!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts