VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the boards and vegetarianism as well. I recently decided to try last month in early October. Ever since I've started I have been getting colds or some sort of basic illness which goes away after a few days to a week. Although every time I get over one it seems like another one takes its place. Granted I've just started going to college meaning that I'm essentially living in a cesspool of new bacteria but I want to know if my new diet could be contributing in any way. A lack of zinc, iron, B12 or even just calories? Is there any sort of vitamin deficiency or something else I might be lacking that could be contributing to my frequent colds?

·
Registered
787 Posts
How much vitamin C are you getting? That's the biggest thing for cold prevention. And wash, wash, wash your hands! College is one of the worst places for catching things.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sounds like a case of Fresher's flu to me... It's unlikely that you would become deficient in anything such a short time after going vegetarian, even if you weren't eating enough of the right nutrients. Being around lots of new germs is a more likely cause, and if you're working and playing hard and tiring yourself out you may be more susceptible to colds and so on.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Also, I've been getting sick since October, too. But I think it's just the change in the weather. it's really easy to get sick in college.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It's normal when you move to get sick alot. Your body is getting used to the new germs it's around. It doesn't help that the weather is cooler, you're around a lot of other people in tighter quarters, you're under more stress (from being away from home, school, and maybe work), and probably getting less sleep (from being up all night cramming for tests and working on papers).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Freshman life isn't very cleanly living, especially with my floormates, so it makes sense that I'd be getting sick. Probably doesn't help that I haven't been eating as much as at home since there's less options in the caf and they give child like portions. Guess I'll have to start making angry demands for more food

·
Registered
885 Posts
You're sick because its cold season, and you moved in with dozens of 18 year olds who aren't eating, sleeping or bathing as they should be, lol. Try to make sure you are getting regular sleep, and some vitamin C, and WASH YOUR HANDS a LOT, and you will do better. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts