VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd question...Today around lunchtime I had a serious craving for a cheeseburger. Since I am still in the transition stage, my body is still used to fish and other animal products in small quantities. Anyway I had finished most of it when I just felt nauseated and even threw up a part of it. Could it be that my body is reacting to the meat? Has anyone ever experienced that?

·
Registered
155 Posts
It could be mental. I licked some chicken off my finger the other day from my kids pizza without thinking and I felt sort of sick about it (yes, nauseous) but I didn't throw up cause it was such a tiny amount. I think it's just that our brains tell us it's wrong now so we can't do it. Sorry you feel sick but I'm sure there's bound to be slip ups along the way

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
A few months ago I accidentally ate half a pepperoni (it was hidden in my cheese pizza
) and I felt sick all night. I'm sure part of it was mental, thinking "I can't believe I ate a piece of pig..." but my stomach was really queasy for the rest of the night.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I have a friend who has been vegetarian for a very long time (much longer than the 8 years I've known her). Apparently, one time she didn't know she was eating a soup from chicken broth, but she felt awful the next day and called the restaurant to find out. So it wasn't just mental, because she honestly didn't know until after she was sick. If your body isn't used to something so unhealthy and you take it in, it might really affect you.

But in your case, if you had a reaction while eating it, I doubt if your body had time to digest it far enough for that to be physical. Maybe if it made you sick a few hours later, but probably not at the same time.

Moral of the story: Don't eat dead animals. I think we can all agree on that.

--Fromper

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
If she called the restaurant to find out if the soup had chicken broth, she had probably already convinced herself that it was made with meat and her symptoms were psychosomatic.

You probably felt sick because a hamburger is high in fat and it was probably just a little rich for your tummy.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

If your body isn't used to something so unhealthy and you take it in, it might really affect you...
"Unhealthy" as meat can be over the long run, a sip of chicken broth isn't going to have such detrimental properties that it immediately makes a person ill... it's all in your head, sorry.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Years ago when I first went veggie and trusted restaurants (<--no more of that...lol), I got a Petro made with the vegetarian chili at a mall. I could always see the person working behind the counter in the food area. They always seemed to be disinterested so I was always worried about the inevitable slip-up. I think most of the time they got it right but I recall once when my stomach literally hurt right after I ate one. It was night-time, I had gotten it to go and was eating it in the car so I couldn't tell if it was the veggie or meat chili. They always looked so similar anyway that I could never tell.

The pain was instant. I didn't throw it up though. Needless to say, that was my last trip there.

Now that I'm vegan, I don't eat out at all and I don't trust many people to take my values into consideration while preparing food.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree its psychological. There is no special "meat enzyme" for digestion. Pepsin breaks down meat and veggie protein ;-) (at least thats what my bio teacher said... ;-) )

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Probably depends on how long you've been trying to avoid meat. Some people experience that after long periods of not having meat. If it hasn't been that long then it's probably mental. Of course there's always the possibility you got some undercooked meat or something that coincidentally made you sick.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Hmmm... unless it was drastically more greasy (and some, but not *all*, meat will be), seasoned with something you're allergic to, or was spoiled or undercooked; sorry, but meat is going to digest pretty much the same as other protein products. (Veggielove, your teacher was correct).

You could get a queasy stomach and a touch of food poisoning just as easily from tainted beans or other products, vegetarian or not, when eating out, but you don't build up an intolerance to meat itself.

You can, and probably will, become intolerant to dairy products if you have stayed really and truly 100% (no traces of casein or whey, etc) off of all dairy for some time, but dairy is made up of different properties and our bodies react to, and digest it, completely different than meat.

Just playing devil's advocate but I still think you're making yourself sick by thinking about it...

I'm sure (seen first hand!!) many omnis who are ready to instantly vomit when they discover the "meat" they've been happily eating is vegetarian... people on this board mention those reactions all the time in threads like "Stupid Things Omni's Say"...

Careful - pretty soon, the omni's will start threads about "Stupid Reactions By Over-Dramatic Vegetarians".

...oh wait...
they HAVE those discussions elsewhere already...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys...I love all the great, thoughtful advice on this board. I did find the answer to this particular incident...the rest of my symptoms showed up the next day....just a simple viral borne illness. Of course, now I'm off fast food (it's amazing the illogical connections your body will make) so I guess I can chalk it all up to timing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.