VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The majority of your protein will come from the beans/legumes and grains categogory.

The suggestions below come from the book "Becomming Vegan"

(though I lumped fruits/veg together)

LIke Oatmeal said - eating a variety of foods is important

Beans/Legumes (at least 2 servings): These can be lentils, garbanzos, soy beans, black beans, kidney beans, refried beans (veggie type). I believe soy milk qualifies in this 1 cup being a full serving I think.

Grains (4-6 servings or more): This can be rice, cous cous, oatmeal, cold cereal, spaghetti, bread, tortillas, pancakes (ww I hope), etc.

Vegetables/Fruits (4 or more servings): This is wide open. Fresh Fruits, Salads, marininated/pickled vegetables, cooked vegetables, etc. etc.

You'll want to consider calcium: Since you don't like tofu - try calcium fortified orange juice or soy milk. I take a supplement just to be sure.

Omega 3 is also a consideration. Take a supplement like Flax seed oil - or use flax seed meal and/or oil as a condiment.

Finally B12. Take a supplement or eat foods fortified with it.....or use nutritional yeast as a condiment (it's yummy!!).

I'm sure this is more than you wanted to know. I had a few minutes though

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
v3gan,

If you eat walnuts (small serving size) or flaxseed oil (unheated)/flaxseed meal, you don't need it.

Ideally, you should have a small serving daily, but every other day is good enough.

Check out "Becoming Vegan"; it has a whole section on Omega-3. They suggest a daily source.

Taraelf,

If you are a lacto-ovo vegetarian, protein is a non-issue. Dairy and eggs are huge protein sources. Remember not to always substitute dairy/eggs for meat and instead add legumes to your diet.

If you plan to be a vegan, you have to put a *slight amount* of thought into protein. Follow the vegan food guide and you'll be fine.

Pop over to the Healthy living forum and post any questions concerning your diet and/or nutritional needs there. There are a number of knowledgeable people that can help you along.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if youre vegan i would suggest using flax seed oil or a blend like udo's oil as a source of your omega fatty acids. i put a tblsp or so in my smoothie every morning (along with my greens plus!).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
taraelf,

Protein wise, being a vegetarian won't be as hard as people think. People typically eat too much protein! To find out how much protein you need, do this calculation:

body weight (in kg) x 0.9 = # of grams of protein

For example, 61kg (135lb) x 0.9 = 55g protein.

For weight in kg: (weight in pounds) / 2.2 = (weight in kg)

55g of protein is not hard to get, especially on a lacto-ovo diet.

1 egg = 5.5g

1/2 cup 2% milk = 4g

1/2 cup cooked brown rice = 4.5g

1/2 cup cooked white rice = 2.2g

1 cup lentils = 18g

1 cup kidney beans = 15g

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts