VeggieBoards banner

Getting enough calories

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Kyo 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone knows of some easy ways to get plenty of calories without spending oodles on food. I'm still trying to lose some weight from having hypothyroidism so 1200-1300 calories a day is fine for me. However, my husband, who is already on the thin side, works a very strenuous job and according to sites like fitday he needs about 3000 calories a day. Right now he's still eating some cooked foods to get these extra calories but eventually he wants to work his way up to being 100% raw as well.

Thanks for the help!!

#3 ·
looking at what i just wrote above,

its not just about calories.

Eat the biggest green garden salad you can and eat fruit all day,

never go hungry and never eat anything preserved,hydrogenated,soy product EVER.

Kale,carrots,brocolli,bananas,watermellon are like gods, get lots of those.

theres plenty of usefull info in here thats way more detailed than my splatter that goes way deeper into what you need each day,and its more than just calories,vitamins and enzymes.

Main thing: dont ever go hungry ever.

Your body will burn off raw fruits and veggies.

drink a lot of water

#4 ·
A couple obvious things are rolled oates and peanutbutter. Your husband could incorporate more of them in his diet. They are both good sources of calories and protein. Here is a recipe that uses both and it's very filling.

Chocolatey Squares

The recipe isn't strictly raw but it could easily be modified. I heat up the ingredients to make the mixing easier but they don't have to be heated up.

Rolled oats aren't strictly raw because they are partially cooked during processing, but I've seen rawfoodists use them anyway since they are minimally cooked. They can be eaten without further cooking. They make a great muesli with addition of juice, nuts and dried fruits.

#7 ·
Above I recommended peanutbutter but now that I think of it I don't think that peanuts can be eaten raw perhaps unless they are sprouted. I'm not sure; perhaps one of the raw foodists can answer that. Almond butter is nice but it's a lot more expensive though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.