VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay! I'm so excited, this little guy will be with me at the end of April sometime, and I can't wait!! It's been quite a while since I've had a dog (yellow lab), so it will be awesome to get back in the swing of things...I don't plan to name him Tornado, and I'm having a hard time picking names, so I need suggestions!! Here he is..

- Kev

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa so cute!!!!!

*falls on ground and twitches*

I love English Bulldogs. You are a lucky man!

Not much help with the name as of yet, but keep thinking and you'll get one. Maybe you can wait and see how he acts too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Alright Kev - I don't know how old you are but when I was young and dorky one of my favorite movies was "Flashdance". She had this great warehouse apartment, bicycled to her welding/dancing jobs, and had this FABULOUS dog! His name was Grunt. So for the past twenty years or so I have sworn that if I ever get my English Bulldog he will be named Grunt. Not that she had one but I loved the name. But my husband won't let me have one. Something about already having four dogs and two cats. Don't know what his problem is.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Is that a picture of the actual puppy you're getting?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I don't agree with breeding, but that is definitely a cute puppy. I've never seen a pure white one before.

I'm wondering why the person is wearing latex gloves, though.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I won't wait for the obvious answer.

Up to 8 million dogs and cats are killed in US shelters each year. Go to a shelter/animal control and look at the hopeless and terrified faces of caged and worthy dogs who will be killed by overworked shelter workers and ask yourself why a shelter dog wasn't good or loveable enough for you.

If you do love animals as you say, look into the issue of pet overpopulation and the fact that breeders and those who support them are contributing to this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Please don't get a dog from a breeder;it just perpetuates the cycle of pet overpopulation and homeless animals being killed.

You could always adopt from a rescue group if you want a specific breed.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I would love to get an English Bulldog (from a shelter or rescue group). I've long had a fantasy that if I had both a male and a female, I'd name them Hugo and Hilda. Those names just seem to work for me.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Guys, lets please not turn this into a breeder debate... please? just once can we just say "cute puppy" and move on?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Well, when I first saw the picture I thought "Brewster", but didn't know if that was a good name. I like it, though. Don't know why that one popped into my head.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Catnip

I don't know why. I have been playing with catnip already. And it's fun to have names that don't seem to match the one owning them

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that is a picture of the actual puppy.

I'm sorry guys that this dog is coming from a breeder, I personally don't like the idea of breeding either. I am 15 years old, and this pup is more of a gift from my parents than anything else, they know I've wanted one for a while, and seeing it from their point of view, they just want me to have the best (even though I know that a sheltered/rescued dog can be just as, if not more satisfying than a bred dog). This is something that I can understand, due to the fact that they are not educated very well on the issue of animal rights. For now, I have to accept this, because I can tell that this is truly a gift from their hearts, and they want me to be happy, so I can't deny it, nor do I want to (the pup is too cute! and I'm so excited!!).

On the other hand, I don't think we could make a purchase from a better breeder. This breeder does not use kennels, they require to meet up with the buyer, and will easily deny them if not adequate, also, a portion of the profit is donated to their local humane society. To add onto that, they also do not sell dogs to wholesale agencies, pet stores, brokers, frat houses, or puppy mills. Their main priority is to place their dogs into loving, caring homes. I do realize that I am still supporting the breeding industry, but there is not much I can do to help that as of now. My parents have been researching for weeks now (I can almost guarantee that they've looked into adopting, bulldogs aren't cheap!), and I am not going to put up a fuss about their decision.

As for names, Winston has been something that I've been thinking of for a while..And Grunt would definitely seem to fit the personality of a bulldog!

Keep 'em coming!

- Kev

·
Registered
674 Posts
Aww sucha cute pup =) I dont judge you for getting your dog from a breeder. Im 15 myself btw. You have many future dogs that you can get from shelters. English bulldogs are lovely. I love any type of bull; english bullmastiff, bullterriers, all bulldogs and pugs and ect.

Good luck with your dog! I wish my parents would let me have one.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Are you aware that English Bulldogs are typically born by cesarian section because their breeding makes their heads too big to fit through the mother? I would consider perpetuating a breed that causes such trauma to those who are forced to give birth.

Quote:
Because of the large heads in proportion to body size, baby bulldogs are usually delivered by cesarean section. Natural birth can result in the loss of the pups and can be too strenuous on the mother.
http://www.heavensentbulldogrescue.com/bulldoginfo.html

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
for the love of pete he did not ask anyone's opinion of where/how he's getting the dog, he just wants help with names. can't you respect that and keep the debate for the compost heap?

i don't agree with breeding either but i just got my puppy from *gasp* a pet store and i don't regret it because we've really bonded the last 2 weeks we've had her and we can't imagine not having this little girl in our lives now.

anyway we had a hard time with names at first but once we got her home and spent some time with her and got to know her personality it just sort of came to us. my husband said on the drive home after picking her up that he thought Hailey seemed to fit for some reason. i said i wasn't really fond of it but i'd be willing to compromise and go with Halle. he agreed and it stuck and i think it really suits her.

so don't stress yourself out too much about the name right now. at the young age you'll be getting him at he won't really understand that it's his name yet anyway. take a couple of days to get to know him and it'll just come to you.

my husband really wanted a bulldog by the way. we decided to go with a smaller breed like a pug or boston terrier. after researching both breeds we decided that bossies suit our lifestyle best and seem to have fewer health problems than pugs.

his brother just got a pug though, they're a couple weeks apart in age and will be meeting each other this weekend. should make for some cute pics

you'll have to post lots of pics of your boy when you get him too. there are a couple pics of mine in the companion animal forum if you wanna see

1 - 20 of 43 Posts