VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stray black cat who has been wandering around my neighborhood for months now is now being neutered at my vet. I don't know how it happened but he just willingly went into my garage lastnight. So I had him sleep there and fed him. And this morning I lured him in my cat carrier with a tiny piece of a hot dog (..yuck...). On the way to the vet he urinated and went #2-that was a lovely scent!

You could see his sexual frustration, and you could hear it too, I am just hoping he hasn't impregnated any cats. But now he won't be able to!

My parents would never let me keep him inside the house, nor would I want to beacuse he is accustomed to being outside, so I guess I'll just have him as an outside cat and feed him? What do you guys think?

I'm attaching a pic-ain't he cute? (kind of blurry though) Any name suggestions?
LL

·
Registered
0 Posts
That's really amazing that you've taken in a stray to be neutered!!! I would see if there is a rescue group willing to introduce him to and socialize with him indoors. I've had several foster cats that were outdoor cats and with love and patience they have all adjusted really well to indoor living. In fact they give off a sense of gratitude and peace. The outdoors is so dangerous for cats with cars, predators and mean people who poison them. Also, with the little guy being fed he will probably continue to "hunt" but may not kill or eat these unfortunate animals. Cats have bad, bad, bad bacteria in their mouths. One bite is all it can take for a nasty infection to develop and later kill.

I'm a wee bit partial to "human" names, but without having met the cutie pie and all that I really know about is him being a horny stray, my name suggestion would have to be Randy. hee hee.

btw, um, i don't think that you're supposed to feed a cat before surgery in case they vomit and choke. did your vet say it was okay?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Raine,

I'll give some consideration in seeing if he can become an indoor cat, maybe I can even find him a good home.

No he wasn't supposed to eat before surgery, but it was the only way to lure him in the carrier, and I didn't want to risk him scratching me to death! lol. The receptionist at the vet said it was okay : ) And it was A VERY small piece.

Randy is a cute name!

·
Registered
0 Posts
well, i'm a believer in doing what works, especially when comes to cramming a fat angry cat into a carrier!! sorry, took two the vet on Friday and i'm still recovering

i love the pic of the kitty you use as your avatar! one of yours?

i hope you can find a permanent, loving home for the little guy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the little guy is alright! I brought him home today. He was CRANKY as hell in the cat carrier, but as soon as he came out he's very sweet and friendly. The vet said to have him in my garage for a few days for him to heal. He's been sleeping all day...Poor guy, his nose has a few gashes on it
He's so skinny and I feel little lumps on his skin? I'm getting attached..I might adopt him as an outdoor can and he can sleep in the garage at night...

Yes my avatar is one of my cats

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Wow, that's really nice of you Ocean!!

Did you also get him vaccinated? If you are planning on keeping him outside, this is an absolute must!! Also, did the vet do a fecal to check for parasites? If he is a stray, he's probably full of nasty little buggies.

Did the vet mention anything about the little lumps? Where are they located?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
You paid to have a stray neutered? Wow. You are truely a good person! We need more people like you in the world.

If your parents wont let you have him inside the house, but will let you keep him as an outdoor cat, go with it for now. Maybe later you can convince them to let him come inside at night, then later, maybe on a permanent basis. You could always keep him as an outdoor cat until you find him another home.

My cats have always preferred to be indoor and outdoor. But they never liked being made to stay outside for long periods. Not even the strays. I'm a big supporter of strictly indoor cats in populated areas.

As for names, I think Merlin would be nice.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Aw, he's so skinny and cute. Reminds me of my stray Mr. Stripes, in the skinniness department (though he is not black). I am going to get Mr. Stripes neutered+shots soon, like you have with your black kitty. Good for you, doing that!

There's an indoor vs. outdoor cats thread in the companion animals forum, btw.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt the vet checked for any parasites or anything-I guess I'll have to pay extra for an examination for him, which I'll try to do soon.

He hasn't been vaccinated and I don't know if he will. All 4 of my cats have never been vaccinated and are very healthy...But since this cat has been outside and is vulnerable for diseases because of his poor health I might get him his shots...But I'll have to find somewhere cheap or free to do that-I'm broke now! lol

I LOVE the name MERLIN, very nice. I'll put that one on my list

·
Registered
0 Posts
my vet clinic offers free stool sample checks with vaccination. of course if they do find parasites you will have to pay for the medicine. if you live in the Niagara Region, i can probably help you out.

happy to hear the little guy is doing well

·
Registered
75 Posts
My family used to deal al lot with a local vet... we have a lot of feral cats around ou7r property, and they would do a free spay or neuter, or a quick check on an injury for free, cause we were buying food and keeping tabs on the stray cats... so, you can always call around, or ask theanimal shelter if they know of a vet that does cheaper work for ferals..... anything to help the stray problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts