VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year around this time of the year I get excited about artthe kind thats been made and art that still has yet to be made. Guess its the months of hibernation thats put a little cabin fever in my soul that makes my feet want to shuffle off to the Cleveland Museum of Art. The fact that its free helps tremendously as well. So, I ended up there on Saturday. Every piece of art has such an interesting history. Its fascinating stuff sometimes I tell you..simply fascinating!<br><br><br><br>
So, cruising along the net this past Sunday, I happened across something else that tickles my fancy. Hey, one never knows when shell be called upon to access the files we call useless information.<br><br><br><br>
It was the art theft of the century The Mona Lisa was stolen on a Monday morning in 1911, but the interesting thing about it was that it wasn't 'til Tuesday at noon that they first realized it was gone. Her vanishing act in 1911 is not the first mystery associated with the enigmatic lady. Painted by Leonardo da Vinci in the early 1500s, little else is known about her. Even her true identity is uncertain.<br><br><br><br>
Coincidentally, during the same year Pierre Cartier (think Cartier Diamonds) is hocking The Hope Diamond to Evalyn Walsh McLean, the spoiled young heiress with a multi-million-dollar fortune and a taste expensive jewelry. Cartier had sold exotic gems to Evalyn in the past. The previous year, she had purchased from him a ninety-five carat white diamond the Star of the East for $120,000 (quite a hefty sum of money back in the day).<br><br><br><br>
But alas, Cartier claims that the stone comes with a curse. Evalyn was mesmerized. She thought things that were unlucky for everybody else would be lucky for her, because she was an exception. The deal closes at $180,000. But, it turns out for Evalyn that it would be very unlucky for her as well.<br><br><br><br>
Other treasures of the worlds intriguing stories are featured such as the Faberge Eggs, Guernica, The Taj Mahal, and the Borobudur. Bought to you by the fine folks at (sometimes underrated) PBS.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/index.html</a>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The addiction tends to fade after awhile...trust me. Mine is starting to dwindle a little. Check out my posts per day..I think it's somewhere around 18. I'm lucky if I post 5 a day anymore. Probably will be less as the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Dought it but we will see.<br><br><br><br>
I have to sit and work here, no mather what the weather is.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...I've got a crapload foull of work to do whenever I get moving this morning. This is the first morning I've been on in about a week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts