·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review of the year: Global warming

Our worst fears are exceeded by reality

By Steve Connor

Published: 29 December 2006

It has been a hot year. The average temperature in Britain for 2006 was higher than at any time since records began in 1659. Globally, it looks set to be the sixth hottest year on record. The signs during the past 12 months have been all around us. Little winter snow in the Alpine ski resorts, continuing droughts in Africa, mountain glaciers melting faster than at any time in the past 5,000 years, disappearing Arctic sea ice, Greenland's ice sheet sliding into the sea. Oh, and a hosepipe ban in southern England.

You could be forgiven for thinking that you've heard it all before. You may think it's time to turn the page and read something else. But you'd be wrong. 2006 will be remembered by climatologists as the year in which the potential scale of global warming came into focus. And the problem can be summarised in one word: feedback.

During the past year, scientific findings emerged that made even the most doom-laden predictions about climate change seem a little on the optimistic side. And at the heart of the issue is the idea of climate feedbacks - when the effects of global warming begin to feed into the causes of global warming. Feedbacks can either make things better, or they can make things worse. The trouble is, everywhere scientists looked in 2006, they encountered feedbacks that will make things worse - a lot worse.

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2110651.ece

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some things climatologists expect may happen:

- More frequent natural disasters; floods, storms, droughts, etc

- Potential food shortages as agriculture suffers from severe weather

- Damage to energy infrastructure from natural disasters and severe weather

So, for starters, I suggest learning about disaster preparedness and encourage everyone to do the basic preparation for natural disasters in your part of the world. Other preparation can include reducing one's dependence on the energy grid, and working toward community and personal independence/ self sufficiency.

Some helpful links:

http://pathtofreedom.com/

http://www.permacultureactivist.net/

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/

http://www.growbiointensive.org/

http://www.communitysolution.org

Some of the above sites are political/ideological or deal with problems other than climate change, but still have useful info. Just try to ignore the ideological stuff and keep the useful stuff.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
......................................__.......... ......................................

.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,.................................. ........

.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................

..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................

...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\\.................................

.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\\........................... .....

..............\\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................

...............\\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................

................\\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\\..*`*;..)..........................

.................\\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................

..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\\..................

................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\\.................

................|.../.../.../.*`...\\...........................)....)¯`~,.... ..............

................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............

..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,

...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\\........

................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\\........

...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\\.......

......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\\........

Just at this whole mess and the general populations refusal to accept that global warming is a problem.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
It's January, and I can still walk outside with my fall jacket. Today is supposed to be 55° F!!! in January!!!! The average mean for January in lower central MI is 22° F

I love the temperature like this but...

Something's up,

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's supposed to be 65 degrees here tomorrow. It's usually in the 30s by now this time of year...

I'm scared of global warming. And I don't know what to do about it.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I especially hate that the last few years, it gets colder later in the season and then we seem to just skip by Spring. The last few months of May were unseasonably cool here. I would much rather be cold in November and have it be nice and warm in May.
I don't know if that has anything to do with global warming or not. It just seems to be a trend lately. And I do believe we are headed toward global warming, even though the weather man on TV mentioned that we are in a similar weather pattern to that of 1878 and there was no threat of global warming back then.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've seen no snow here in South western Pa.. It is scary. On New years eve I wore sandals.. SANDALS.. well.. This is reality. I think making sure I have a personal garden is important because I have a feeling something major is gonna happen to the food supply for the world. Just make sure you have food, water and shelter.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think the only thing you can do is to make the changes in your own life and that you know will make a difference.

Here are some tips on this site if you are not sure what things you can do:

http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeact...ndo/index.html

The bad thing is in order to slow down global warming is that EVERYONE will have to make these changes and unfortunately, that is probably not going to happen. Unless they start making laws on stuff, I think it will hard to get everyone to make the effort. Also I think that the government will have to offer lot of support to help people.

I think they should stop making cars that take only straight gas. And everyone should be required to have a more energy efficient car (vegetable oil or biodiesel or electric should be the best but hybrid would at least be a step) and I think it should be free to have peoples cars converted (those that can be converted). If it is free, people will do it. Lot of people can't afford it. They could offer more tax breaks too!

One thing you can do too is to not have any more kids. The more people on the planet the more pollution. I know that one would be hard to enforce.

Not to mention that everyone should be at least vegetarian (they say cow flatuance adds a lot to global warming).

But also don't forget that the earth has had global warming type events happen before in the past....although, this one is marginally different. It may happen regardless of what we do. But I am sure we can help.

just my two cents...

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Civilized humans haven't had to live through a major climate shift, though. The Little Ice Age brought widespread famine and difficulty for people. During the previous ("Big") Ice Age, there were relatively few humans and they were nomadic hunter-gatherers.

It's of no relevance whatsoever to say "the Earth has been through major climate changes before."

This thread isn't really meant to be anything about what we can do to prevent Global Climate Change, I think we have a lot of threads about that already. This is specifically about what we can do now we know it is happening, how we can figure out how to survive as individuals and communities.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

The bad thing is in order to slow down global warming is that EVERYONE will have to make these changes and unfortunately, that is probably not going to happen. Unless they start making laws on stuff, I think it will hard to get everyone to make the effort.
Wouldn't it make more sense to target the industrial polluters responsible for the bulk of the CO2 release? I'm not as well read on this topic as I would like, but it seems like our individual contributions are a tiny drop in the bucket compared to big industry. Please feel free to correct me on this.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacivore View Post

Wouldn't it make more sense to target the industrial polluters responsible for the bulk of the CO2 release? I'm not as well read on this topic as I would like, but it seems like our individual contributions are a tiny drop in the bucket compared to big industry. Please feel free to correct me on this.
No, you are right too! There should definately be laws for the big bad polluters of the world! But individuals also will make a difference esp. with their driving habits. If EVERYONE would change then it wouldn't be a tiny drop in the bucket. You still make a difference when you make your own changes -although, true, you might not be able to see it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, we definitley need to target the industrial polluters, but the fact is, this is ALL of us to some degree as all industries create CO2. Most of us get our electricity from coal or other petroleum plants, relativley few get it from hydroelectric, wind, or solar. Even nuke plants create CO2. Most new power plants being built in the US are coal plants, the most productive of CO2. By reducing our use of electricity, we can reduce the need to build new plants. The US, with 5 % of the world's population, uses about 25% of the world's energy and produces about 25 % of the greenhouse emissions. To be equitable, we need to reduce our energy use to about 1/5 of our current average. That's a tremendous change for us who are used to modern conveniences.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I especially hate that the last few years, it gets colder later in the season and then we seem to just skip by Spring....
I've noticed it too. I don't remember if it was quite this warm this time last year, but I do remember it didn't get cold until well into the winter, and it being bitterly cold from late February even into May, then as soon as June hit, it was like a heat wave all summer. We had this one really wacky day in April last year... I was driving to work in the morning in a blizzard (literally, there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground within a half hour) and by 3:00 that afternoon, it was 75.

But yeah, it's 70 here in South NJ right now and it's scary...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts