VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda wanted more personal responses, so I decided to post this instead of reading the "Weaning" thread.

So. Basically, I have really bad skin issues, and I was told by my doctor that dairy products can often trigger eczema and the like. So, I need to stop consuming dairy! How to do this? I don't think not drinking milk will be too huge a problem, I don't drink that much anyway, but I eat cheese a lot. Any suggestions on that? I think what I really need more than anything is encouragement and willpower. So thanks for listening (or reading, rather), my randomness, please give advice, and cross your fingers and hope that this makes me nasty skin go away! Love you all!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
There's always soy and rice cheeses. Now as most people know most soy/rice cheese still contrains milk protien.

I always thought this was really ironic since who would be most likley to buy non-dairy cheese but vegans.

I would buy the stuff and still do sometimes under the pretense that it was much better then just getting real dairy cheese. I hope the real vegan stuff gets more common.

I know what you mean about willpower

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to love cheese too. The thing that really made me not love it anymore was learning about what cows (and their young) have to go through just so we can get dairy products. So now whenever I see cheese I just see a baby calf crying out to her mother with no comfort...that weaned me off cheese and every other dairy product pretty quickly.

From what I've heard, the replacement cheeses don't really taste like cheese so eating them may just make you want the real thing even more. I'd just keep myself busy and try to keep cheese out of sight for awhile and hopefully that whole saying "out of sight, out of mind" will kick in =P

Good Luck!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I used to eat a ton of cheese. It's not hard to stay away from if you just think that every time you eat some you're contributing to the veal industry.

Replacement cheeses suck. Vegan gourmet is good, but only on something (pizza or melted on chips), and even then you may not like it.

Anyway, good luck!
Hope your skin clears up.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
1: stop eating cheese.

2: get over the withdrawl. (couple weeks)

3: ?????

4: profit

The withdrawl is the hardest part, just that first couple weeks. Once your over your addiction to cheese, its clear sailing. I find slowly limiting cheese from your diet just allows for more mistakes. Cold tofurkey aims to please.

And grab some Soooooy Delicious 'ice' cream and like WholeSoy/Silk yogurt. They are tastey and yummy, and are good substitutes for the 'dairy' part of your diet. Even if just during transition.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Oh and you will feel better - and what they say about the mucous is true. I went from lots of snot and spit build up, to hardly any at all. Dairy is horrible on a persons system. Anyone that has a even a minor concern about health should remove dairy from their diet - it's horrible.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I kinda wanted a more personal question, so I decided instead of replying in this thread that you could PM me for my input.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I gave up dairy too and my skin has calmed down. I used to get huge boils on my chin, they have slowed down since I gave up dairy. It has only been about a month since I have become Vegan and my skin is getting better, though I have slipped and ate cheese a few times and with each time I get a boil on my chin. Coincidence?? Who knows, but I think there is a big correlation to dairy and skin issues. I loved cheese to but I mananged to get off of it. Milk and eggs were never a problem but cheese is another story especially because I love Italian food! But you can do it and it is worth it in so many ways.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My eczema disappeared when I gave up dairy, I hope it works for you too. You could try out different kinds of foods which don't normally have many dairy products in them, like Chinese, Thai or Indian dishes, and see if you can find some new favourites to replace your cheesy meals with. I find that thinking about the suffering the cows and calves are made to go through to produce milk is a good way to stop wanting to eat it!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've got a skin condition that's sorta like psoriasis. After about 3 years of trying different things, cutting out this and that from my diet, I found an article on a study about Omega-3's/6's and how our bodies absorb those fats. Turns out my system doesn't use Omega 3's as efficiently as it should, especially from plant sources, unless I have a lot of it.

So what I've been doing is taking 2 tbsp of flax oil a day, and trying to get avacados and olives in my as often as possibe. It's helped a great deal. I've also cut out dairy, which also helped.

I noticed the skin condition getting worse after I quit meat a few years back. So I guess my body used up what it had stored, and I wan't replacing it fast enough.

Anyway, perhaps this information helps.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFcowgirl View Post

I kinda wanted more personal responses, so I decided to post this instead of reading the "Weaning" thread....

I think what I really need more than anything is encouragement and willpower.
hi-a

all we can share with each other is information and inspration. the second one is great for motivation

you can do it easy. If you don't drink much milk, then that part is no problem.

When I went vegan, cheese was the single thing that needed the most effort. I was amazed at how many things it was in, and how much I was attracted to the 'wet'(oil) warm fatty feeling of it. Try doing the similar-replacing idea. Replace that cheese with other fatty-proteiny warm foods. veggie meats, maybe try some veggie cheeses.

But you can do it easily for sure
Just focus on why you want to, and get your replacements ready.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I like clear skin more than I like dairy.

And before i realized how gross dairy is, that's the reason I stopped consuming it.
I totally agree with Jessica on this one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a wonderful cookbook called The Uncheese Cookbook by JoAnne Stepaniak. Try her "unprocessed cheeze sauce." It's great on pasta, veggies, etc. If you read her foreward, you will be very happy to give up cheese.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspjs View Post

I use a wonderful cookbook called The Uncheese Cookbook by JoAnne Stepaniak. Try her "unprocessed cheeze sauce." It's great on pasta, veggies, etc. If you read her foreward, you will be very happy to give up cheese.
I have to admit I haven't had much luck with this cookbook. It's got some fair recipes, but they aren't consistantly easy, practical or successful.

That said, I agree with those who said just giving it up "cold turkey" is the most sucessful.

I know you can do it! If you need ideas or tips or just want to whine, PM or IM me!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.