VeggieBoards banner
161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I'm going to Hamburg tonight! It's only for a meeting, so will only be staying for a couple of days though.

Just wanted to be sure: Is it true that all German beer is vegan?
Just a small clarification: German beer sold in Germany is all vegan. However, the German beer purity laws don't apply to beer for export outside of Germany. Also, German beer brewed in other countries may include finings.

I'm jealous though. Few things are better than sitting in a German biergarten...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Just a small clarification: German beer sold in Germany is all vegan. However, the German beer purity laws don't apply to beer for export outside of Germany. Also, German beer brewed in other countries may include finings.

I'm jealous though. Few things are better than sitting in a German biergarten...
One drawback of the typical German Biergarten is that it also tends to be a BBQgarten…

You're right about the purity law exceptions for export, but I'm assuming most beers will still be brewed acc. to the law even if exported.

What's "German beer brewed in other countries"?

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

One drawback of the typical German Biergarten is that it also tends to be a BBQgarten

Youre right about the purity law exceptions for export, but I'm assuming most beers will still be brewed acc. to the law even if exported.

Whats "German beer brewed in other countries"?
For example, Becks beer is a very popular German beer consumed around the world. However, it is also brewed in Bulgaria, Australia, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, China, Nigeria, Romania, Turkey and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. So, the Becks beer consumed in Australia was most likely actually brewed there, under license from Interbrew (the people that own Becks) and German purity laws are not required in Australia.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Okay, I did not realize this. Though to me, a beer brewed in another country under the license even of a (former) German brand name, is not really a German beer. But with Becks, maybe the difference is negligible, regardless where it is brewed, as this brand is not really known for a distinctive taste - its somewhat like the Coors of Germany, lol.

·
Registered
897 Posts
One more question! Is there anything along the lines of a vegetarian or vegan store that might have a selection of books that I can browse through? I've decided the best transition for the person in mind is actually a book that's centered around adapting traditional German cuisine.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quinoa and MrF: Thanks for clearing this up. I had a pretty good time food- and drinkwise, at least compared to my trips to France! Our hosts made sure I had something edible even for lunch, and there was a refridgerator in my hotel room for my soya milk.

The language is also so much easier to understand for me, but yeah it helps that I took classes in German in school. Of course, all the Germans I ran into spoke perfect English so it was never an issue.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

One more question! Is there anything along the lines of a vegetarian or vegan store that might have a selection of books that I can browse through? I've decided the best transition for the person in mind is actually a book that's centered around adapting traditional German cuisine.
I used to have a German vegetarian cookbook. Vegetarian food is quite common in Southern Germany.

For example: http://www.amazon.de/Kochvergn%C3%BC.../dp/3774227225

·
Registered
655 Posts
Bin im Moment irgendwo dazwischen. Ich bin kein Veganer, da ich z. B. Lederschuhe trage, esse aber auch keine Milchprodukte und keine Eier. Vermutlich bin ich dann strenger Vegetarier. Oder eben einfach Veg*n.

·
Registered
26 Posts
nicht schlecht
ich ess auch keine eier (wird mir öfters mal schlecht) aber viel jungen käse. ich hab leider ne histaminintoleranz und kann somit nicht alles essen. von nusszeug krieg ich zb oft schnell bauchkrämpfe und so dinger

ich bezweifle auch, ob ich richitger veganer werden kann, aber ich kann mich weitgehenst in die richtung bewegen, das weiss ich

darf ich noch fragen ob du in deu wohnst? im profil wird auch garnicht nach geschlechtsangabe gefragt oder überseh ich da was??

·
Registered
5 Posts
hallo zusammen / hello there,

gibt's hier noch irgendwelche Aktive in diesem Forum? / does anyone of you still write in this forum?

Ich komme aus Moers, NRW (also seeeeehr weit im Westen). / I'm from one of the most western areas in Germany.

Würde mich freuen, wenn jemand schreibt zwecks Austausch. / I would be happy if anybody of you writes back.

Frostige Grüße / Frosty greets...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hallo! I'm from Canada and I'm planning a trip to Germany next summer (Aug-Sept). My trip will go around the country with stops in Berlin, Nuremberg, Leipzig, Munich, Lindau, Frankfurt and Cologne. Any info on veg*n restaurants especially in Berlin around the downtown area (I think close to the Reichstag) would be helpful. Danke!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi roonet,

I can inform you about some veggie restaurants in cologne and düsseldorf.
If you want to know somethin about these restaurants, just let me know, I tell you then.

161 - 180 of 199 Posts