Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I searched, but didn't see a thread on this yet. President Ford was the "first" Prez for me. I was alive in the era of Nixon, but too young to remember him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122700528.html
The article said he "presided" over the end of the Vietnam war. That is either untrue or misleading. The truth is that the war ended during his term of office. What Ford did was to urge further aid to the Saigon government, which, if Congress had gone along with it, would only have prolonged the war. In fairness to him, even he recognized that this policy was inappropriate after he retired.

Second, there is the issue of his pardoning Nixon. This is actually two issues: the issue of the pardon itself and the issue of when he pardoned Nixon. He pardoned Nixon 30 days after taking office, which was before prosecutors could draw up indictments and of course before any trial could take place. Many people feel that the drawing up of indictments would have greatly clarified and solidified the historical record. Having said this, he was probably right to have pardoned Nixon, and even Ted Kennedy came around to this view. However, Ford probably lost the 1976 election due to the pardon.

He was a decent, honest fellow and did the country a great service by taking the reins of power after Nixon resigned.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

He was attacked by wolves.
????

I was born when Ford was president, but I don't remember him. Most of what I know about his is from watching old SNL skits with Chevy Chase. I like the simpsons episode where Homer can't get along with the Bush family but then the Fords move in and they get along just fine!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

????

I was born when Ford was president, but I don't remember him. Most of what I know about his is from watching old SNL skits with Chevy Chase. I like the simpsons episode where Homer can't get along with the Bush family but then the Fords move in and they get along just fine!
He was "attacked by wolves" in a SNL skit, not in real life:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96dbrokaw.phtml

·
Registered
0 Posts
I can't help but think that this would be a very different country right now if Ford had prosecuted Nixon instead of pardoning him.

Perhaps we need a change in the Constituion that would allow for a yearly "vote of confidence". There's got to be something short of mutiny that will get Queeg off the deck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts