VeggieBoards banner

Genetic manipulation a threat to the world ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Why

• Don't know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Genetic Manipulation as one of the biggest threath to the world as we know it.<br><br><br><br>
It should be band.<br><br><br><br>
What do you think?

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
It depends upon how you are defining genetic manipulation. With most of our plant crops, we have been engaging in genetic manipulation for over 4000 years resulting in the creation of crops such as soybean, wheat, rice, and maize, as well as orchard crops including orange, banana, and Apple.<br><br><br><br>
If by genetic manipulation you mean the production of transgenic organisms, there again my answer is "it depends". In the long run, I think that it is better to use microorganisms to produce human hormone drugs such as insulin then to produce those drugs through slaughterhouse byproducts. I am profoundly skeptical that transgenic organisms pose a greater threat to natural environments and habitat loss. However I am also profoundly skeptical that transgenic organisms are the solution to a world hunger problem that is primarily caused by economics rather than a failure of production.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<b>It depends upon how you are defining genetic manipulation.</b><br><br><br><br>
I see GM as builing things that would not exist in nature in a very artificial, technical way.<br><br><br><br>
Crossing to species of the save kind is more or less natural.<br><br>
(take red rose, push it on white rose to get red/white or pink rose)<br><br><br><br><b>With most of our plant crops, we have been engaging in genetic manipulation for over 4000 years resulting in the creation of crops such as soybean, wheat, rice, and maize, as well as orchard crops including orange, banana, and Apple.</b><br><br><br><br>
This is not GM as in the way its described. Although companies know like to call it all the same to create diffusion.<br><br><br><br><b>I am profoundly skeptical that transgenic organisms pose a greater threat to natural environments and habitat loss.</b><br><br>
Apart from the ethical issue on transgenic stuff (you mean modify pigs to produce human harts?) There is the thread that animal diseases will adapt to human tissue and that we so create new, possible incurable diseases.<br><br><br><br><b>However I am also profoundly skeptical that transgenic organisms are the solution to a world hunger problem that is primarily caused by economics rather than a failure of production.</b><br><br>
There is enough food to feed the world, its not evenly (fair) divided between the people on the world (source: World Health Organisation)<br><br><br><br>
The world relies for the biggest part on about 20 species of plants.<br><br>
If we start GM on these species, and things go wrong there might not be an original to fall back on. This could then lead to big problem in food-shortage.<br><br><br><br>
I dont support ordinary agriculture, but some of the crops can only be made with the use of crop protection (read: poisson).<br><br>
If we make a (or several) certain kind(s) of plant(s) immune to this poison, this property of that crop could cross with unwanted herbs in other crops.<br><br>
These unwanted herbs could on there turn become immune to the poison, and raise a big problem.<br><br><br><br>
For the reasons above I think that GM is a threat to the world and we should be very, very, very careful in experimenting with this. (That isnt the current situation)<br><br><br><br>
For more information see this site <a href="http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/real_food/issues/food_safety/" target="_blank">http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/real_...s/food_safety/</a>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts