VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after years of having high cholestrol, I went for another test yesterday after being vegetarian for 3 months to see if it lowered my cholestrol.

To my shock is was 7.4, the verdict is is the Doctor said the genetic one you need to take medication for as exexercise and eating right don't help.

I am trying natrual tablets now cause all the simastatins are horrible with side effects.

IT sucks cause I am probably one of the healthiest people.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Are you vegan? Do you exercise regularly? Do you avoid sugar and alcohol and refined carbohydrates? What do you eat?

I helped a client lower his cholesterol by 100 points in 6 weeks by doing the above; he was told the same thing you were by your doctor.

His triglycerides went way down, as well as his BP too.

DISCLAIMER: this is something to think about, and simply that. I am not a medical doctor, nor do I play one on VB
Follow the guidance of YOUR medical professional(s) and seek out another if you don't like the one you're working with, get a team to aid you if need be!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

I am trying natrual tablets now cause all the simastatins are horrible with side effects.
Be sure to let your doctor know about any natural or herbal medications you are taking, as they can have side effects themselves and might interact with other medications.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
ok, according to Dr Esselstyne....you can change your genetic predisposition by eliminating all added oils to your diet and get your total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides down by doing a vegan diet and eliminating all canola and olive oil and processed foods with any added oil in them. Some foods have natural oils which gives you enough for a 10-12% intake.

He states tons of references.....before committing to the statins, maybe you should read his book, "Prevent and reverse heart disease". It was an excellent book. any intake of added oils will continue to add to the breakdown of the endothelium in the lining of your blood vessels, and despite what many on here think, me included until reading the book, thought canola and olive oil are ok for you....he explains in depth why they aren't.

just something for you to think about persuing in the reading dept.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

Yep, it's a good read! It works, usually following his plan works. There are other ways too...there's more than one way to shuck corn

I gave my client that plan as an option, along with all raw and then the very doable, enjoyable vegan plan briefly outlined above...he chose the more "fun" and easy one. It's working wonders for him.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:

before committing to the statins, maybe you should read his book, "Prevent and reverse heart disease".
I second this. Vegetarian is not enough since plenty of unhealthy foods are vegetarian. It needs to be a specific type of vegetarian or vegan: low fat, high fiber.

You should eat zero cholesterol, very little saturated fat, little other fats, lots of fiber, and exercise regularly.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
^Third that!
Dr. Essestyn has REALLY reversed heart disease, and while heart problems aren't mentioned, his diet will reduce total cholestrol. It is no-fat, and the fact is, even veggies have some fat. Nuts and seeds aren't allowed.
His son Rip has the book Engine 2 Diet which is close, but not nearly as restrictive. You could begin with that.
Break out the herbs and spices!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Ahimsa, what kind of work do you do? I've seen you refer a couple of times to "my client" do you do nutritional counselving? Just curious!

BTW, Dr E. States that very few people although some do need LOW doses of statins to get and keep them under the 150 mark for their cholesterol

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:

Ahimsa, what kind of work do you do? I've seen you refer a couple of times to "my client" do you do nutritional counselving? Just curious!
Yes, I do nutritional consultations, amongst other things. I'm a licensed Holistic Health Practitioner, and in addition, I have certifications in a variety of natural therapies, including holistic nutrition.

I've worked with and been mentored by MD's, Acupuncturists, ND's, Chiropractors, RD's and such.

Also, like many, I have been a life-long student of health and wellness, reading and studying all I am able to deepen my working knowledge of health and healing.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Yes, I do nutritional consultations, amongst other things. I'm a licensed Holistic Health Practitioner, and in addition, I have certifications in a variety of natural therapies, including holistic nutrition.

I've worked with and been mentored by MD's, Acupuncturists, ND's, Chiropractors, RD's and such.

Also, like many, I have been a life-long student of health and wellness, reading and studying all I am able to deepen my working knowledge of health and healing.
can you refer me to some programs? You could inbox me so we dont' hijack this thread....I really need to do something more than nursing, as I can't go against the dieticians for our dialysis patients, who are recommending increasing their animal protiens.....it's SOOO frustrating! and thanks

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:

can you refer me to some programs? You could inbox me so we dont' hijack this thread....I really need to do something more than nursing, as I can't go against the dieticians for our dialysis patients, who are recommending increasing their animal protiens.....it's SOOO frustrating! and thanks
I was a CNA before and a nursing student, and changed mid-course, so I know a little about what Nurses deal with!

I will PM you. In case anyone is interested, I'll leave the program I like best here: http://www.integrativenutrition.com/

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately when I ahad orthorexia back in the day and didn't eat ANT fats if any kind and only fibre etc my cholestrol was still high I have tried different combinations of things my whole life BUT the doctor more then one did tell me that the inheritant genetic one you need medication for.

The only time I did get it lower was with medication.

But I will keep eating a healthy eating plan and hopefully the natural medication will help.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately when I ahad orthorexia back in the day and didn't eat ANT fats if any kind and only fibre etc my cholestrol was still high I have tried different combinations of things my whole life BUT the doctor more then one did tell me that the inheritant genetic one you need medication for.

The only time I did get it lower was with medication.

But I will keep eating a healthy eating plan and hopefully the natural medication will help.
Orthorexia is not a medical diagnosis/condition. Are you saying you had/have an eating disorder?

I'm not at all surprised that you had many MD's say these things to you about "needing" medications. They have little training in nutrition and even less faith in patient's abilities to follow through with lifestyle changes.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:

ok, according to Dr Esselstyne....you can change your genetic predisposition by eliminating all added oils to your diet and get your total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides down by doing a vegan diet and eliminating all canola and olive oil and processed foods with any added oil in them. Some foods have natural oils which gives you enough for a 10-12% intake.

He states tons of references.....before committing to the statins, maybe you should read his book, "Prevent and reverse heart disease". It was an excellent book. any intake of added oils will continue to add to the breakdown of the endothelium in the lining of your blood vessels, and despite what many on here think, me included until reading the book, thought canola and olive oil are ok for you....he explains in depth why they aren't.

Great post, I do recommend this read. I was always a healthy vegan, and exercised regularly, but I think I ate too much fat. I used to slather my salads in olive oil and use canola oil for things like falafel. Now, all the oils I get are from limited seed and nut intake, and 2 tsp of flaxseed oil I take daily to keep my omega-6s and omega-3s balanced.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
kris, why not just use ground flax in a smoothie or oatmeal? 1 Tbsp gives you all you need for the day according to him. I had no idea it could be so little. That way, you're not consuming the oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts