VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regrettably I don't have Animal Planet, but for those of you who do:

The two-hour television special covering the Genesis Awards will premiere on

Animal Planet at 3 p.m. EST on Sunday, May 4 (noon PST).

The Genesis Awards ceremony is like an animal friendly Oscars, founded by

Broadway and TV star Gretchen Wyler 17 years ago.

A little more info is available at http://www.hsus.org/ace/18945

About the strength of the wins: Unfortunately the Beverly Hills Hilton

audience was shielded from some of that strength; viewers on Animal Planet

will be similarly shielded. For example, viewers will see a wonderful speech

from The Practice in which a defense attorney defends a Santoria priest who

has slaughtered a goat. Her defense rests on the grounds that as a nation we

kill animals, all the time, for food and even for sport. Out of context the

speech may be confusing. Many on the voting committee pushed for that

win because of David Kelly's willingness to detail, graphically, our

nation's treatment of animals - he put shocking Meat Your Meat

slaughterhouse footage on a prime time network television drama. He also

included disturbing vivisection images, and hunting shots. Unfortunately, home viewers will be shielded from the impact of that show's message.

Another controversial issue in the animal rights community is the bestowing

of awards on shows with animal friendly messages, when those shows have used

trained wild animals, who live sad lives in captivity, to convey those

messages. Such awards are becoming less frequent as the use of wild animals in film and television is replaced by animatronics, animal suits, and computer generated imagery.

Overall, there is no question that the Genesis Awards, by encouraging major

media players to explore and air animal friendly material, does an

extraordinary job of advancing the cause of animal protection. Two years ago, Brad Woodard received his second Genesis award (he won his first seven years earlier for a good story he had stumbled upon). He came to the ceremony to receive his award, left the ceremony as a vegetarian, and has been producing animal friendly news stories on a regular basis ever since.

It's a worthwhile show so, if you have Animal Planet watch it, record it, and tell your friends about it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I hate Animal Planet. It's just a bunch of people showing off how much power they have over animals (at least the programs I've seen--all dealing with pets and pet races and dog shows and the like).

Also, the network seems to only feature the cute and cuddly types and the animals that humans can dominate rather than giving a comprehensiveview of the REAL animal planet.

My local PBS station does a much better job.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by veganinohio

I hate Animal Planet. It's just a bunch of people showing off how much power they have over animals (at least the programs I've seen--all dealing with pets and pet races and dog shows and the like).

Also, the network seems to only feature the cute and cuddly types and the animals that humans can dominate rather than giving a comprehensiveview of the REAL animal planet.

My local PBS station does a much better job.
I tend to watch equal parts network TV and PBS, for a total of 7 hours on a week where my schedule happens to be less hectic. I enjoyed the "Shadow Ball" segment of "American Stories" this week. Hope to get the entire "Baseball" series on DVD someday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.