VeggieBoards banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I've been quite good at getting my daily walk in this week, as well as doing morning yoga. Lost 1.5 lb. this week which is good for me as I'm aiming slow and long term.

A couple of useful online tools that I've been utilising recently from a website called Shape Sense. If like me you're motivated by tracking progress and that sort of thing, it might be worth a dip into:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/

I've started using these two in particular:

Calories Burned WHILE Walking Calculator

Calories Burned BY Exercise Converter (Gross to Net)

A lot of calorie tracking apps don't account for the fact that our base metabolic rate (calories burned just by being out of bed and living life) is already accounted for in some other tracking tools (such as Cron-O-Meter) so the estimates can end up being quite inflated (making you think you've burned more calories by exercise than you really have). Calories burned by exercise are 'additional' calories burned on top of what you'd already be burning just by being awake for the duration of your exercise. COM already has a library of activities, but it's interesting to explore other tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, this thread looks like the perfect place for me to hang out! I have nearly 50 lbs to lose after two years of working and stressing way too much and not at all looking after myself well enough. Now I have changed my job and I finally have so much time just for me and my wellbeing. I have started to really get back into exercising again and I log my workouts on Myfitnesspal but I need to get stricter with also logging my food as I have PCOS so I need quite the deficit to see any difference on the scales. I have seen a difference in my fitness levels already though which is motivating in itself.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Oh, this thread looks like the perfect place for me to hang out! I have nearly 50 lbs to lose after two years of working and stressing way too much and not at all looking after myself well enough. Now I have changed my job and I finally have so much time just for me and my wellbeing. I have started to really get back into exercising again and I log my workouts on Myfitnesspal but I need to get stricter with also logging my food as I have PCOS so I need quite the deficit to see any difference on the scales. I have seen a difference in my fitness levels already though which is motivating in itself.
Welcome @Lux_ :)

I've got around the same amount of weight to lose. Logging food has really made me more attentive to my habits and helped me find routines, definitely recommended from here.

I've actually reduced my calorie deficit recently (I was getting hungry and then feeding up at the weekend, thus derailing efforts made during the week) so aiming to go even slower than initially planned. I don't expect to reach my target weight in less than 18 months, but am hoping that by going slow I won't regain once I'm there.

I love being fit, a couple of minor injuries have undermined me getting back there, but fortunately they're healed now so am getting back into regular exercise again and enjoying it.

What workouts do you do?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I remember positive affirmations being a thing back in the eighties and looked up on YouTube to see what was out there. I've played this one a few times, repeating the affirmations silently to myself while on my daily walk. Some of the affirmations I'm not keen on (like "I am getting thinner and thinner" - that's not actually my goal) so I may trial a few other videos and see if I can find one that has statements I can fully identify with.

Apparently studies have shown mixed results from people using affirmations. Some positive, and some less positive. From what I've read it seems to depend on how you already feel about yourself. Ironically people with really low self esteem may be best avoiding them.

Has anyone used affirmations or have any experience with them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome @Lux_ :)

I've got around the same amount of weight to lose. Logging food has really made me more attentive to my habits and helped me find routines, definitely recommended from here.

I've actually reduced my calorie deficit recently (I was getting hungry and then feeding up at the weekend, thus derailing efforts made during the week) so aiming to go even slower than initially planned. I don't expect to reach my target weight in less than 18 months, but am hoping that by going slow I won't regain once I'm there.

I love being fit, a couple of minor injuries have undermined me getting back there, but fortunately they're healed now so am getting back into regular exercise again and enjoying it.

What workouts do you do?
Thank you! :)

My best friend from school was diagnosed with cancer last year and to motivate myself to do cardio I signed up to do a 10k charity run (in late May 2018) in her honour and to raise money for cancer research. I try to do 20 minutes of HIIT 5 times a week coupled with another 40 minutes of steady state cardio (jogging) 3 times a week as a way to prepare for that. I used to run a lot when at university but after graduating and working full time I completely dropped it and need to get back into it without getting injured.

On top of that I swim laps with my brother once a week and I have copied a couple of strength training routines from youtuber Whitney Simmons that I do when I feel confident enough but I really need to work on getting more of that in. I find myself feeling a bit silly if there are too many people in the gym which is ridiculous really! Totally need to get over that because I enjoy strength training when I actually do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My mother was very much a fan of affirmations, but she would avoid ones like "I am getting thinner and thinner" in favor of ones like "I nourish my body with healthy food" "I exercise daily" "I deserve to be healthy and happy."

I still have a magnet she gave me: "I deserve to be happy and successful." At one point I felt silly saying that, but my new perspective is "We all deserve to be happy and successful" and that really works for me.

In other weight loss news, I almost didn't step on the scale this morning, because I knew I was retaining water and food from yesterday's Thanksgiving, but I decided that was silly thinking. I knew if the scale showed a gain (it did) that it didn't reflect real weight gain as I was still around my calorie maintenance level, so why avoid the scale that I step on every day? I'm striving to build a lifetime of healthy habits, not get wound up over any given number on any given day.

Reactions: Spudulika

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
My mother was very much a fan of affirmations, but she would avoid ones like "I am getting thinner and thinner" in favor of ones like "I nourish my body with healthy food" "I exercise daily" "I deserve to be healthy and happy."

I still have a magnet she gave me: "I deserve to be happy and successful." At one point I felt silly saying that, but my new perspective is "We all deserve to be happy and successful" and that really works for me.

In other weight loss news, I almost didn't step on the scale this morning, because I knew I was retaining water and food from yesterday's Thanksgiving, but I decided that was silly thinking. I knew if the scale showed a gain (it did) that it didn't reflect real weight gain as I was still around my calorie maintenance level, so why avoid the scale that I step on every day? I'm striving to build a lifetime of healthy habits, not get wound up over any given number on any given day.
Yes, I might be best creating my own set of affirmations. Agree about the phrasing, much better (and in line with my aspirations and beliefs).

Good for you re: the scale - I do exactly the same thing. I check my weight every day, just as a way to keep me mentally on track Studies have shown this works to help manage weight even without any other interventions:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/he...iet-health-kg-stone-pounds-body-a7899401.html

Sometimes there's an increase sometimes a decrease in weight, but that doesn't concern me, it's the long term 'trend' that I'm more interested in tracking and that is slowly going down. In fact I'm half a pound heavier today than I was yesterday. But it's no big deal. I take in a lot of fluid and fibre, and because my calories were in (modest) deficit yesterday, I know it's that making up that half pound.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Yes, the scale can really mess with your head if you let it but so important to not give it more power over you, your self worth or your mood than it deserves. :) I also try to not be so scared of the number it tells me, but instead see it as just one of many indications of how I'm doing and after salty food or a big holiday like Thanksgiving it's of course going to reflect the temporary water gain. Definitely no reason to feel bad.

I have limited myself ot only weighing in on Fridays because I know I have grown too obsessed with the scale in the past. It's worked really well so far.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
This week I included a fast on Sunday. I've done a full day of water fasting (roughly 36 hours from evening meal to breakfast) quite a few times now and don't really find it all that challenging to be honest; the key for me is to simply not start eating. That and drinking plenty of pure water. While I find a full day not too hard, I don't know if I could easily do those half day fasts that are popular to the 5:2 IF pattern of eating.

I also try to avoid being around the smell of cooking food! I think I'm going to continue to do this as I also quite enjoy having the odd 'free' day where I don't count calories.

As well as contributing to weight loss (through increasing your calorie deficit) it's also supposed to be great for health; helping the body to destroy cancer cells and all sorts. If curious, see this BBC Horizon documentary that came out a few years ago:

Eat, Fast & Live Longer

(Note: obviously it probably wouldn't be a good idea to explore fasting if you've got a disordered relationship to food, eating or body-image)

·
Registered
60 Posts
It does sound relaxing not to log for a day. Wouldn't work for me as my meds make me subject to dizziness when my blood sugar gets low, but I might try a day (when I'm not working) of eating just fruits and veggies, under the assumption that it's unlikely that I'd exceed my calorie targets on fruit.

Reactions: Spudulika

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend of mine is doing a sort of fast at the moment where she doesn't eat between 8pm and 12pm. So lunch is her first meal every day and she doesn't have dinner later than 8pm. Essentially it makes her miss breakfast and it means that she doesn't snack in the evening - creating a deficit. She really likes it. I used to never eat breakfast myself and if you don't start eating in the morning it also means you can quite easily also skip lunch I find, but then I'm starving for dinner time and end up making bad choices haha. I have found it easier to start the day with oatmeal and to simply eat smaller meals throughout the day in order to not get blood sugar dips. This week has been tricky though because I attended 2 different conferences, both with hotel stays and dinner parties. Luckily the vegan menu is always quite low in calories so food-wise I still did very well this week but it meant less time in the gym compared to what I normally get in. Will definitely get my butt back in there today for a good workout though.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
A friend of mine is doing a sort of fast at the moment where she doesn't eat between 8pm and 12pm. So lunch is her first meal every day and she doesn't have dinner later than 8pm. Essentially it makes her miss breakfast and it means that she doesn't snack in the evening - creating a deficit. She really likes it. I used to never eat breakfast myself and if you don't start eating in the morning it also means you can quite easily also skip lunch I find, but then I'm starving for dinner time and end up making bad choices haha. I have found it easier to start the day with oatmeal and to simply eat smaller meals throughout the day in order to not get blood sugar dips. This week has been tricky though because I attended 2 different conferences, both with hotel stays and dinner parties. Luckily the vegan menu is always quite low in calories so food-wise I still did very well this week but it meant less time in the gym compared to what I normally get in. Will definitely get my butt back in there today for a good workout though.
Did another 36 hour fast last Sunday, definitely like this. Yes, I think your friend's Intermittent Fasting approach is the one that's been most popularised in recent years. Especially since the Horizon (UK science show) programme linked to in my post above. When I've searched for books on fasting most of them are books with recipes for 'fasting days' where you only eat one 500 calorie meal in the evening. I'd find that harder than not eating at all. Luckily my hunger doesn't seem to kick in too much if I simply don't start eating.

I haven't been as consistent with exercise recently. It's getting quite cold out so I've not been motivated to go walking as much. It's also dark early and I've been sleeping more, meaning I haven't got my morning yoga in either. My new year's resolution will be to do an hour of something every day and I'm going to use my Christmas holiday to get into a habit. I like building habits. They make lifestyle changes stick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did another 36 hour fast last Sunday, definitely like this. Yes, I think your friend's Intermittent Fasting approach is the one that's been most popularised in recent years. Especially since the Horizon (UK science show) programme linked to in my post above. When I've searched for books on fasting most of them are books with recipes for 'fasting days' where you only eat one 500 calorie meal in the evening. I'd find that harder than not eating at all. Luckily my hunger doesn't seem to kick in too much if I simply don't start eating.

I haven't been as consistent with exercise recently. It's getting quite cold out so I've not been motivated to go walking as much. It's also dark early and I've been sleeping more, meaning I haven't got my morning yoga in either. My new year's resolution will be to do an hour of something every day and I'm going to use my Christmas holiday to get into a habit. I like building habits. They make lifestyle changes stick.
Don't know if you have a pool nearby? Indoor one that is, haha. I find that it's quite nice sometimes to go for a long swim and then sit in the sauna for a bit. It almost feels like a spa day despite being a workout. It's cardio and strength all in one really and a full body workout. Could be an option if you don't have access to a gym and need to replace your walks for a bit. I used to go for long walks on the weekend but we only get a couple of hours of daylight now so I rarely manage to squeeze it in in that time and it's so depressing to walk around in the dark.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Don't know if you have a pool nearby? Indoor one that is, haha. I find that it's quite nice sometimes to go for a long swim and then sit in the sauna for a bit. It almost feels like a spa day despite being a workout. It's cardio and strength all in one really and a full body workout. Could be an option if you don't have access to a gym and need to replace your walks for a bit. I used to go for long walks on the weekend but we only get a couple of hours of daylight now so I rarely manage to squeeze it in in that time and it's so depressing to walk around in the dark.
Yep, swimming is a great exercise. I'm just not keen for some reason (probably because I'm a really crumby swimmer!). I have been better at getting my exercise in recently though :)
I mentioned a book called Walk Your Butt Off up thread, and I've started doing that programme. It's very structured (possibly too structured for some) which I personally like a lot, as it is designed to increase your speed and distance over time. I've also been using the book with an interval timer app called Complex Timer. The two work together really well. Once I work my way through this 3 Month walking programme, I might look into starting a beginner running programme in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Completed a three day (84 hour) water fast yesterday. I found it moderately challenging, but not too much so. Will definitely do it again. The day prior to my fast I ate normally and concluded my eating at around 6pm (so that's when I started 'fasting' from). Day one, fine. Day two, felt felt really tired and sleepy, so I had an afternoon nap. I also did a nice soak in the bath. Without the day being broken up with cooking and eating meals, day three seemed to stretch on forever and I was definitely looking forward to eating again! On the morning of day four I broke my fast at around 6am and I filled up on a big bowl of porridge for breakfast. It was really nice.

Overall I lost 7 lb from the morning of day one and the morning of day four. Most of that I knew I'd gain back very quickly, as during prolonged fasts, you deplete a lot of glycogen stores which the body promptly puts back as soon as you start eating carbs again. Also you're emptying bulky food materials from the gut. After eating (a lot) again yesterday and replenishing those glycogen stores, I weighed myself this morning and I put back on 3 lb already. I imagine I'll put back on more again tomorrow. I may have lost a pound or two of fat, based purely on the caloric deficit. My BMR is about 1800 kcal, times that by 3 days = 5400 kcal burned. 1 lb of fat = 3500 kcal, so if I burned 5400 kcal overall, that's roughly equivalent to 1.5 lb worth of fat. In short, I didn't lose half a stone of fat by fasting for three days, whatever the scale may imply.

I mention that here because the main purpose of the fast wasn't actually to lose weight (although a modest fat loss is a nice side-benefit) and I wouldn't promote fasting as a dramatic 'quick fix' like some do; I've been looking at the health benefits of doing longer fasting (called 'prolonged fasting') and it seems like a great gift to your body, renewing all kinds of systems. Here's one of the videos that motivated me:

And another one:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Christmas / Yule / Midwinter Festival Food!

What are those who are on a weight loss programme doing over the festive season?

Will it be a 'free for all' and you will get back on track afterwards or are do you have plans/strategies/intentions in place to mitigate or minimise the seasonal temptations of booze and food?

I'm giving myself a free pass so far as calories are concerned for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I'm not going to count or log them. Apart from that I'm going to work at staying inside my current calorie limit. New year's Eve has never been a big deal for us, so we don't go out partying anyway.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
How did everyone get on over the holiday period? I must confess I stuffed myself silly. I haven't even weighed myself yet but I can see the belly roll that Xmas greed has given me. Time to get back on track.. o_O

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I definitely enjoyed making and eating a wide variety of foods!

Funny now how many vegan foods stores have on sale for omnis with new years' resolutions to eat better, that vegans with resolutions are trying to avoid! ;)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts