VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on antibiotics for an infection and I have to take two tablets, four times a day for seven days. The thing is, the capsules are made with gelatine. I tried emptying the powder from inside the capsules (those little plastic ones) into a drink and drinking it like that but I could barely swallow it was sooooo disgusting and I am still gagging now from the taste. Is it bad if I take the tablets how they are even though they're made with gelatine. I feel so bad

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I'd just take it, if it's something that you really have to take. If it were something that you didn't really need to take, say, a painkiller on the side for a stubbed toe, then I'd say it was avoidable and not take it, but if it's an antibiotic for an infection you don't really have much of a choice.

This is why I tend not to read the ingredients on medicines that are completely necessary for me to take - why make myself feel worse when I have to do it anyway?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I agree with the other two. If I'm at a pharmacy picking out some Advil or something, I'll avoid the gelcaps and get it in a different form. In this case, you don't have much of a choice. Besides, you've already bought them. You could either waste them, or endure the disgustingness of knowing you are eating gelatin (which really doesn't have that much ick factor for me.) Next time, you could ask if the antibiotic comes in any forms besides gelcaps. It might come in a liquid form too.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes I agree with everyone else. If I'm buying tablets from the pharmacy for myself I'll choose ones without gelatine capsules, but if they're prescribed I don't really have a choice. You can check with your doctor next time something similar comes up for other options - I figure this is more do-able in america especially where you're paying for the treatment yourself (or your insurance is which is the same thing), but if there isn't any other options there's nothing else you can do - you're health is most important.

I deffinatly wouldn't try to tip the stuff inside out because it doesn't make any difference except for purity reasons (ie: taking the medicine and throwing the capsual away has no different affect than just taking them) and also because I'd worry it might change how quickly you absorb them and I'd worry that might make them less effective or something. I'm not doctor, so that's pure guesswork mind you.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I deffinatly wouldn't try to tip the stuff inside out because it doesn't make any difference except for purity reasons (ie: taking the medicine and throwing the capsual away has no different affect than just taking them) and also because I'd worry it might change how quickly you absorb them and I'd worry that might make them less effective or something. I'm not doctor, so that's pure guesswork mind you.
I would think the same.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine93 View Post

I'm on antibiotics for an infection and I have to take two tablets, four times a day for seven days. The thing is, the capsules are made with gelatine. I tried emptying the powder from inside the capsules (those little plastic ones) into a drink and drinking it like that but I could barely swallow it was sooooo disgusting and I am still gagging now from the taste. Is it bad if I take the tablets how they are even though they're made with gelatine. I feel so bad
I think you should take the medication, in any event.

But it would help us to understand the situation better if you told us whether you consider yourself a vegan or a non-vegan vegetarian.

If you are a (non-vegan) vegetarian, you have restrictions on which animal products you can consume as part of your diet.
Since the medication you are taking is not a part of your diet, you would not have a problem.

If you are a vegan, it becomes a bit more complicated.

So, which are you? Vegan? Non-vegan vegetarian?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in England so I didn't pay for them, the doctor prescribed me them. And they're a certain type of antibiotic for wound infections so this was apparently the best type I could have as apparently the infection due to my ingrown toenail, (yum) is quite severe, The doctor put me on 4x the recommended dose. I am a non-vegan vegetarian but I am very strict with by products such as gelatine and animal sourced whey, anything from a dead animal. The thought makes me feel sick, but unfortunately the taste of tipping the powder into a drink makes me even more sick. I couldn't just not read the ingredients because as soon as I saw they were those plastic capsules I knew from previous experience with other medication, that they have gelatine in. It's all very awkward, but I think I will just take them as I need them otherwise the doctor said I have to get my big toenails removed by a podiatrist. :S Ouch!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If it's something that serious, then yeah, for sure just take them. Definitely don't put the powder in a drink. I'm no doctor, but I do know that they carefully design capsules and capsule thickness for a reason, so your body gets a certain dose of the drug over a certain period of time. Putting powder into a drink takes out the middle step and could end up screwing up your dosage or causing the drug to be absorbed way too quickly. Also, this really doesn't make it any better... but if the capsules have gelatin, the powder probably has some kind of animal product in it too. So all you're doing is potentially causing harm and not even avoiding animal consumption.

I also hate to say this, but in cases like this you sometimes have to take the omni approach: try not to think about where it comes from. Get it in your mouth, take a swig, and swallow it before you can think cow. I know it seems like you're doing something wrong, but in the end you're only saving yourself the inevitable mind torture of knowing you HAVE to eat an animal product and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'm sorry, and I know it can be sucky, but sucking it up is definitely the best option here.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
It can be dangerous or ineffective at the very least to remove medications from the capsules they are in. Take what your medical professional has instructed you to take, as it was instructed to you to take it! Be healthy and well!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
If you are a (non-vegan) vegetarian, you have restrictions on which animal products you can consume as part of your diet.
Since the medication you are taking is not a part of your diet, you would not have a problem.
Non-vegan vegetarians generally have personal boundaries of what is and isn't ethical, whether or not it's for health reasons. I don't believe in consuming or using things from dead or factory farmed animals, but that of course doesn't make me vegan. Nonetheless, I wouldn't take the pills unless I had to (which the OP clearly does). Or rather, yes, I would have a problem. And the OP clearly doesn't want to consume gelatin either, medically or not (although again, I agree with the above posters that it is necessary).

Sorry, I just don't like misconceptions. There's a whole spectrum of vegetarians for different reasons and different intensities who aren't vegan, and that was a rather large generalization.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
When it comes to needed medicine I take what my docter says is best. I have let her know in advance I much prefer vegan alternatives, but she says (and I've heard this from other docters also) that in many cases the best antibiotics are only in gelatine caps.

I wish they would outlaw gelatine capsules. What do people who observe kosher rules do?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I wish they would outlaw gelatine capsules. What do people who observe kosher rules do?
Many do what sensible veg*ns do in such cases; they take thier medicine!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I could see the problem if you were taking this medication for the rest of your life, but for a week Id say try not to think about it and just take it theres really no other option, unless you want to make yourself worse.
Its not something you chose for yourself, so perhaps look at it like a veg*n fail...accidental. Something like that anyway.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

The Gelcaps were invented because people had trouble swallowing.
Well, take the pills and don't worry.
I have trouble swallowing pills including gelcaps. I always try to ask for medication in liquid or chewable form (both taste absolutely horrible btw).

I hope you've been taking the medication Jasmine.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

The Gelcaps were invented because people had trouble swallowing.
Well, take the pills and don't worry.
Yes, but there are so many alternatives. Softgels I often find vegan, or vegetarian jel caps- even when their are other animal products! I've seen fish oil caps in vegan capsules!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am sorry for my brief response earlier , I was running behind and needed to go someplace. I like liquid and chewables also myself. I am on cipro right now for a UTI so these are not geltabs. Also I am on pain meds for my bad tooth that is not gel tabs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Like Silva, I have it in my records and then discuss it with my physician when it comes time for prescriptions.

This is important:

What i have found is that almost all antibiotics and many other medications at the least come in liquid form or loos powder because young children typically have trouble swallowing pills. As such they should be no more expensive than the gel caps. Be sure to ask for this option.

The only way we will ever get more choices (like cellulose capsules) is to continue to push for change. Do not shrug and accept the pills without expressing real displeasure with your physician, I always toss in a statement that no industry systematically tortures animals more than drug companies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGirl View Post

The only way we will ever get more choices (like cellulose capsules) is to continue to push for change. Do not shrug and accept the pills without expressing real displeasure with your physician, I always toss in a statement that no industry systematically tortures animals more than drug companies.
I think you have the right idea in pointing out drug research nearly ALWAYS centers around animal testing so it's all essentially pretty horrid for veg*ns. But the thing is your physician has pretty much zero input into how the drugs are made - complaining to them doesn't get you anywhere. The thing is though, for some drug testing, there is no humane alternative yet. My mum works in a pharmacy department at a university (although she's an analytical chemist; she's never had the desire to contribute to anything that tests on animals) and she has been publishing papers on alternatives to animal testing. But with that being said, one of the most effective things you can do is compile as much research as you can about the alternatives and send it off to any universities in your local area - a lot of animal/preliminary drug testing is conducted at unis. A lot of academics don't know that there are alternatives, and it could save so many animals each time one researcher makes the switch!

I think in cases like this you just have to take the pills. No matter what product you're using, it's pretty likely that somewhere along the line something awful was done to animals. So it's kind of one of those things we don't have control over yet :/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts