VeggieBoards banner

Gelatin Warnings

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Identity_thief 
#1 ·
So, I don't need to explain to you guys about being a veg*n when there's gelatin (along with plenty of other animal products) in just about everything.
It gets annoying.

While it does get easy after a while to spot animal products when checking out an ingredient list, I was wondering if there's any country or state that requires companies to give a warning for gelatin and the such, just as they do for people with peanut allergies.
If not, have any efforts/petitions been started to get that happening?

#4 ·
I cheat when reading labels. First, I look for the green V, then I look at the allergen information. If it says that it contains fish/eggs/milk, then I don't need to bother reading the rest of the label, and usually things that are vegetarian will be labelled with a V in this country - and that includes there not being gelatin. Once those two checks come back clear, I'll go through the ingredients list to check for any surprise nasties, which at this point, there usually isn't.

And then there are those amazing moments when you can clearly see the label 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans', or the vegan society logo is displayed on the packet.

I doubt there would be a gealtin warning label ever, because not many people are allergic to it. But from what I've heard of the US, you guys could use a lot of 'veg*n' packet labels. Would solve all the hidden ingredient problems.

#6 ·
Sorry.
It was hard for me, too. But I got used to it after a while, and saw that not too many foods have gelatin. As everybody else has said, not a lot of people are allergic to it, so they'll probably never list it in the allergy warnings. I hope it gets easier for you!

#7 ·
I don't know if you have an iphone but there is an app for that. I don't remember what the app is called but you point your iphone at the ingredient label and it will tell you if their is any non vegetarian ingredients, saves the trouble of having to memorize all non vegetarian words.

#10 ·
Well, I don't want to pee on everyone's bonfire, but I was just in my local Tesco seeing what they stocked that was vegan and I came across some sweets that I thought I must try. Very tasty they are too! But look what was on the back of them...............

A no gelatine warning! I am loving the extra smiley face it gets

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

Well, I don't want to pee on everyone's bonfire, but I was just in my local Tesco seeing what they stocked that was vegan and I came across some sweets that I thought I must try. Very tasty they are too! But look what was on the back of them...............

A no gelatine warning! I am loving the extra smiley face it gets
That's probably for kosher eaters right? Nice idea

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Looks like voluntary labeling too. This is likely a company who wants to increase sales to a certain market. I'd like to see the FDA here in the USA force all companies to list all animal based ingredients in bold print whether they want to or not.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Remeber that Kosher gelatin is usually from fish!
As much as I'd like the US to label vegan, knowing how much crap is in packaged foods has improved my diet. I now stick with foods that don't need labels, or only have a few.
Gelatin is incredably sneaky, I've missed it, only to see it as I'm eating the product!

BTW, I've found many pills labeled "softgels" are sometimes plant based. I used to discount them because of the "gel".

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

First, I look for the green V, then I look at the allergen information.Once those two checks come back clear, I'll go through the ingredients list to check for any surprise nasties, which at this point, there usually isn't.
Yes this is what I do too! I check to find "suitable for vegetarians" (in the UK, this is labeled like 98% of the time) and then the allergens for egg and milk, and if we're okay up to there I read all the ingrediants to check for anything else! It eliminates non vegan products much quicker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.