VeggieBoards banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Lazy day foods now make a Rocky Road cake slice with vegan marshmallows! Very nice :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
In the US, they put animal products in a lot of things that don't need it. Pillsbury pie crust has lard, most yogurts have gelatin, stuffing has animal fat, stuff like that. Only recently did they remove the gelatin from Skittles. Weird, huh?
I find that so frustrating, and it not just limited to animal based ingredients. They add weird stuff like propylene glycol and dyes. The products would probably be just as good or better if that stuff was left out. I really don't feel the need for the color of my chick peas or pinto beans to be preserved or the sweetness of my baked goods to be enhanced by a chemical known to cause kidney damage.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I find that so frustrating, and it not just limited to animal based ingredients. They add weird stuff like propylene glycol and dyes. The products would probably be just as good or better if that stuff was left out. I really don't feel the need for the color of my chick peas or pinto beans to be preserved or the sweetness of my baked goods to be enhanced by a chemical known to cause kidney damage.
It's annoying...I guess companies are just so desperate to optimise profits and they believe that by doing this they will achieve this aim...

·
Registered
8 Posts
About half of the cheesecakes at Cheesecake Factory contain gelatin. I was pretty shocked when I learned about it (I only expected marshmallows or gummy stuff to have gelatin!). There's a list of which ones don't contain gelatin though: approvedeats.com/cheesecake-factory-gelatin-kosher-halal-vegetarian/

·
Pure Veg & Sweet
21 Posts
Oatmeal
Oatmeal can help you lose weight in two ways. First, it's packed with fibre and it keeps you feeling fuller longer.
Second, a recent study in the reported that eating a breakfast made with "slow-release" carbohydrates—such as oatmeal or bran cereal—3 hours before you exercise may help you burn more fat.
How? Eating "slow-release" carbohydrates doesn't spike blood sugar as high as eating refined carbohydrates (think: white toast).
In turn, insulin levels don't spike as high. Because insulin plays a role in signalling your body to store fat, having lower blood sugar levels may help you burn fat.

·
Pure Veg & Sweet
21 Posts
Some gelatin foodist are as follows

1. Bagels and bread products
2. Beer and wine
3. Candy
4. Caesar dressing
5. Marshmallows
6. Non-dairy creamer
7. Peanuts
8. Potato chips

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Some gelatin foodist are as follows

1. Bagels and bread products
2. Beer and wine
3. Candy
4. Caesar dressing
5. Marshmallows
6. Non-dairy creamer
7. Peanuts
8. Potato chips
The list is far longer than that, however, I have never run across bagels or bread, nor beer- though it can have other issues. Ceasar dressing has egg and anchovies, again never heard gelatin.
Anyway, pretty much anything may have it so just read the label!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's an industrial food product - made with caustic soda (or the old way with mercury).. not a plant. There was one story that a whole load of mercury could not be accounted for... the story goes (read "Diagnosis: Mercury" by Dr Hightower) .. that minute amounts were leeching into the final HFCS product... and if that can happen who knows what else is bundled along with this 'glucose-fructose syrup' (HFCS)

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
It's an industrial food product - made with caustic soda (or the old way with mercury).. not a plant. There was one story that a whole load of mercury could not be accounted for... the story goes (read "Diagnosis: Mercury" by Dr Hightower) .. that minute amounts were leeching into the final HFCS product... and if that can happen who knows what else is bundled along with this 'glucose-fructose syrup' (HFCS)
Corrected detail on the production of high fructose corn syrup: https://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1380113250_Parker et al.pdf

Reactions: Ger Jonker
101 - 114 of 114 Posts