VeggieBoards banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I didn't realise Skittles were veggie (i'm in the UK btw). I thought Starburst were veggie? I never buy them though.

I v. rarely eat jelly (wobbly stuff you eat with icecream), but on occassions where other people have made it for me, there's never been any issues about gelatine. I think most places sell it, not just speciality veggie shops.

I haven't tried veggie marshmallows. Would have to order those online i think.

I wish there was a veggie pick 'n' mix somewhere!!...

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittered Goods View Post

Starburst jelly beans dO contain gelatin.
Vegan lunch box blog says they're vegan. I personally don't like jelly beans so I haven't looked further into it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went to buy some celebrity chef cakes a few months ago and fortunately read the label (its a habit with anything new that I buy) and was amazed to see that the glaze on top of the cakes contained fish gelatin

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Vegan lunch box blog says they're vegan. I personally don't like jelly beans so I haven't looked further into it.
If you are in the UK, Sainsbury's own brand jelly beans are veggie - not sure about vegan tho ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
a lot of people are saying things against my list like,

you can get veggie marsh mellows

my list is talking about non specialty/veggie items.

and it just provides a list of things that may contain gelatin.

so if you read it, and then go to the store, you'll check your yogurt for gelatin before you pay for it!

is there anything I should add?

as I find things ill post more

also, some of the things like cream cheese, i haven't personally found gelatin in, but i've read that i guess some brands have gelatin in it.

anyway,

hope the list is helping people and not just causing an argument or anything like that.

post soon

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think it's great that there are suggestions on which brands to get instead, because it helps people to know what they are looking for instead of just looking at all the brands endlessly, like a needle in a haystack. I mean, if you know that jello generally has gelatin in it, you may spend a lot of time trying to find a vegan one... or if you already have the info that Hunts Snack Packs ON THE SHELF, NOT THE REFRIDGERATED ONES, have no gelatin, you know that the other jellos are not acceptable and you know what to look for instead. Sounds like the perfect marriage of info to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't forget childhood vaccines. If you vaccinate, beware that gelatin is in all MMR, varicella (chicken-pox), influenza and DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis) shots. So in this case you expose gelatin directly into their bloodstreams at 2,4,6,12,15,18mos and every year you get the flu shot. Something to think about!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Just wanted to add to the list- Roses chocolate selection. Got some for Christmas, checked the label "contains eggs" thought "AHAHA! Boyfriend won't eat these, I'd best finish them all before he gets home to make his life easier...."

Then, when he got home, he pointed out that some of the chocolates had gelatine in them.

I have a blind spot of gelatine on the labels it seems. It's happened a few times now. :S We're both just lucky we have each other to double check the labels.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madismom View Post

Don't forget childhood vaccines. If you vaccinate, beware that gelatin is in all MMR, varicella (chicken-pox), influenza and DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis) shots. So in this case you expose gelatin directly into their bloodstreams at 2,4,6,12,15,18mos and every year you get the flu shot. Something to think about!
Rabies vaccine, too.
I knew someone who couldn't get these because he is extremely allergic to gelatin.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Why the heck would someone put gelatin, or anything but veggies, in frozen veggies? That makes no logical sense.

I recently noticed that Necco wafers now have gelatin in them; they didn't in the past, but they changed the recipe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bit of a minefield eh?

Regarding reading the ingredients list on a product, is it true that only ingredients above a certain percentage have to be detailed? I know most products will state if they are suitable for vegetarians (although comparatively rare for vegan suitability to be stated, in the UK at least) but a lot still don't especially lesser known brands or products imported from abroad or whatever.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

TBH I think you thought wrong.
How very rude. It is helpful thank you. Some of us are too busy to walk around supermarkets reading labels (!!!!). Newer vegetarians particularly might appreciate this. You can always choose not to read a thread if it has no relevance to you.

·
High King of Eire
107 Posts
In the UK Starburst are ALL suitable for vegetarians, It's great!

And I think everybody is missing the obvious here, Haribo - I don't know if they are available in the US - most of their sweets have Gelatin. They have released a vegetarian product recently, However I could only find them in Asda (Walmart).

How ever, Haribo's "Giant Strawbs" have always been Suitable for Vegetarian.
smiley.gif

http://www.haribo.com/enGB/current-information/news/news/220/title/haribo-launches-new-vegetarian-product.html

Another thing, Fox's Party Rings have Gelatin in the icing. D:

·
High King of Eire
107 Posts
Starburst are vegetarian in the UK and Northern Ireland. They also have no artificial colours or flavours too! Which is great :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaffle View Post

In the UK Starburst are ALL suitable for vegetarians, It's great!

And I think everybody is missing the obvious here, Haribo - I don't know if they are available in the US - most of their sweets have Gelatin. They have released a vegetarian product recently, However I could only find them in Asda (Walmart).

How ever, Haribo's "Giant Strawbs" have always been Suitable for Vegetarian.
smiley.gif

http://www.haribo.com/enGB/current-information/news/news/220/title/haribo-launches-new-vegetarian-product.html

Another thing, Fox's Party Rings have Gelatin in the icing. D:
We have Haribo at Walmart but I haven't looked at the package since I never buy them.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts