VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
"Jelly" is the correct term for, well jelly (jello stuff) and not jam (jam) in many, many places. Do no apologise for using what is the correct word for most people. Calling jam "jelly" is very regional.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

That's crazy, I'm envious
In the US, it's very hard to come by. What brand can you find in stores there? If I want vegan jel, I have to go to a Health Food Store that's 30 minutes away.
Weightwatchers do some, I think there's probably some own brand ones too, been a while since I've bought any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

"Jelly" is the correct term for, well jelly (jello stuff) and not jam (jam) in many, many places. Do no apologise for using what is the correct word for most people. Calling jam "jelly" is very regional.
I was apologising more for not recognising that I could be misunderstood, I know it's jelly really
(by which I don't mean jam)

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

When I think of Jelly, I think of fruit spread made with juice that you put on toast. Jam is made with chunks of the fruit. In the States, we just call Gelatin dessert "Jello", which is like calling window cleaner "Windex", but that's just what we say since there really aren't any other brands on the market. "Jell dessert," maybe, but never jelly

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

I was apologising more for not recognising that I could be misunderstood, I know it's jelly really
(by which I don't mean jam)
Ah, ok. I love little differences in language. Jam/jelly, biscuits/cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danascully64 View Post

We do have an item that was recently put on shelves, has chunks of fruit in it, that's vegan, but it doesn't come in a box where you add water, it's pre-made.
A co-worker was telling me there is now a pre-made jelly-o that has recently come on the market that is (supposedly) vegan. I have yet to see it, I do think it is Aeroplane Jelly, an Australian brand, though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
interestingly most of the pre-prepared jelly (not jam or fruit spread) in the UK is vegetarian, whereas the majority of supermarkets (piggly wiggly equivalents maybe) sell blocks or powders of jelly with gelatin in it. You can purchase V jelly, but it takes a little more effort to find.

I think the list would be more helpful if it the item was listed by country. I had heart failure recently after reading a different post on here that yoghurt, cereal and skittles always contained gelatin. Upon checking labels they are all fine (in UK).

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
In the US, they put animal products in a lot of things that don't need it. Pillsbury pie crust has lard, most yogurts have gelatin, stuffing has animal fat, stuff like that. Only recently did they remove the gelatin from Skittles. Weird, huh?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Most of my favourite candies have gelatin.

Altoids aren't vegetarian.

Neither are licorice allsorts.

Or Cherry Ripes.

Or jelly babies...

Though, they sell some tapioca based 'vegetarian gummy bears' in a health food store nearby that taste very similar to jelly babies... But it's not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

When I think of Jelly, I think of fruit spread made with juice that you put on toast. Jam is made with chunks of the fruit.
Yeah, me too.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think it's a good idea, because new vegetarians don't really KNOW yet that there is danger of gelatin being in everything. Like gelatin holds the salt on nuts, why would they even think that? about the jello - if you get the Hunts Snack Pack that is on the shelf, NOT THE FRIDGE, it is gelatin free. Also, you can use the mallow fluff in the jar for some of those marshmello things, it doesn't have gelatin in it, usually - check your own label.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I really don't like candies. Or jello. Or even marshmellows. Yuck.

Foods with gelatin taste nasty. Usually it's a texture problem, more than a taste issue with me. (Am I the only one who finds the texture of jello absolutely disgusting???)

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheDuck View Post

marsh mellows -always contains gelatin
Unless of course you're buying veg*n marshmallows.

Quote:
mini wheats - always contains gelatin
IIRC, the frosted organic varieties do not, and neither do unfrosted mini wheats

Quote:
Jello - always contains gelatin
Not the Ko-Jels, granted it's not "Jello" but you can get agar-gel desserts.

Quote:
star-bursts - always contains gelatin
In the US, not in the UK. Starburst Jelly Beans I think are vegan.

Quote:
They're now vegan in the US. They took the gelatin out. Still check packages though because some older packages are still in circulation.

Quote:
gummy worms/bears - sometimes contains gelatin
see now this i'd say always unless you're specifically buying veg*n gummies.

I think the best advice really is if something is chewy, gummy, jiggley or iced, check for gelatin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

In the US, not in the UK. Starburst Jelly Beans I think are vegan.

Starburst jelly beans dO contain gelatin. But on a happy note, Sour Patch Kids no longer do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!! One of my best friends just informed me of this. I don't eat much candy(i used to. i'm a reformed sweet tooth mOnSter), but there are days when I want to be crazy unhealthy and consume a sick amount of sugar. For example, the first time I discovered Wild Berry Skittles sans gelatin, i ate a half pound in 4 hours.
falling off the wagon, man...some days it happens....I could go for some candy, actually.....

21 - 40 of 114 Posts