VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
About yogurts, in the US, most contain gelatin. I've never seen cream cheese with gelatin though.

I'm sure this list would be great for newbies

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
^^ You can buy vegan Jel and vegan marshmallows, but you generally have to order those online or get them at a specialty store. Most new vegetarians have no clue that those aren't safe.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Sorry, I did mean Jello
That's crazy, I'm envious
In the US, it's very hard to come by. What brand can you find in stores there? If I want vegan jel, I have to go to a Health Food Store that's 30 minutes away.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

"Jelly" is the correct term for, well jelly (jello stuff) and not jam (jam) in many, many places. Do no apologise for using what is the correct word for most people. Calling jam "jelly" is very regional.
When I think of Jelly, I think of fruit spread made with juice that you put on toast. Jam is made with chunks of the fruit. In the States, we just call Gelatin dessert "Jello", which is like calling window cleaner "Windex", but that's just what we say since there really aren't any other brands on the market. "Jell dessert," maybe, but never jelly

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
We do have an item that was recently put on shelves, has chunks of fruit in it, that's vegan, but it doesn't come in a box where you add water, it's pre-made.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
In the US, they put animal products in a lot of things that don't need it. Pillsbury pie crust has lard, most yogurts have gelatin, stuffing has animal fat, stuff like that. Only recently did they remove the gelatin from Skittles. Weird, huh?

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
licorice allsorts

Candy cigarettes! They taste like chalky goodness, but they have gelatin
On a happy note, Sour Patch Kids are safe

I've tried vegetarian gummy bears, not the same at all.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

They do what now?! I've never seen that!
I think Planters is the brand that does it, but only the one in the glass jar. Sunflower seeds too, I made that mistake a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Sour Patch Kids have always been safe
Those were my favorite growing up. I don't buy them much anymore though because I know I'll eat them quick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts