VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, my name is bill key. i live on a cattle station in northern australia. i found this website and it intrigues me to know what makes vegetarians tick- plus i dont know fully know what vegans are about. we have terrible problems with feral pigs destroying native flora and fauna- aswell as good grazing land. we regularly shoot them in organsied culls. what other option do we have? it is also practically impossible for anyone in this region not to eat meat...so again what option do we have?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I was wondering if you fully read the posting guidelines when you registered. They state that you must be a vegetarian or considering becoming one. If that is the case, then welcome. If not, I hope you didn't register with the intention of causing problems here.

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
well if that's truly the case, then you are welcome, but don't post about killing pigs and stuff. that's going to make you enemies faster than you can tie your shoes.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I think the OP raises a good point though. His business is raising cattle (yes, we as a board may not agree with that...) but he has feral pigs destroying his business and is asking, what choice does he have but to destroy them?

Yes, we could all naievely recommend that he immediately stop raising cattle, but aside from that, I'm curious as well - what choice does he have?

Maybe explaining to this person why you're opposed to him killing pigs - or raising cattle - might help answer some questions. There honestly ARE people out there who haven't a clue and have never thought about anything other than their way of life...

I'm curious as well, what about those pigs? Trapping and relocating hundreds of wild pigs? Um, probably not gonna work.

Have any of the rest of you lived in rural Australian cattle country? Do you have a good idea of what foods would be available to a vegetarian there? Maybe he genuinely DOES want to explore vegetarianism. Maybe suggesting what he *could* eat if he WERE trying vegetarianism might be a little more welocoming.

I'm not saying the original post is appropriate, just that we shouldn't immediately tell him he's going to "make enemies" here... nor should we cop an attitude and assume that every person who doesn't share EVERY view we do is immediately the enemy.

That said, if the original poster is NOT genuinely interested in learning more about vegetarianism or supporting it in some (positive) way, he probably won't last long in the envorinment here.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
We have lots of feral pigs here in Hawaii, and they are truly destroying a lot of native plantlife (and my backyard). Hunting them is common, and I am philosophically opposed, but I can certainly see the practical value in it.

I don't have an answer, sorry. But I do agree, it's a legitimate concern

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry about the intro....had to be honest though. im not here to rock the boat, but if anyone has any questions, ill be happy to answer. ive never met a vegetarian or a vagan (??), which is why i thought id have a poke about the internet

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Yeah... A lot of vegans like myself are opposed to killing when it can be avoided, but have certainly not found the answer to every circumstance -- like having hundreds of feral pigs destroying the surrounding environment. Seems like that would be a tough problem for wildlife people and ranchers alike. Relocation on that scale sounds like a government project... And where do you relocate them?

As for what to eat, what kind of crops grow in your area? What can one buy at the store? People all over the world have been living on legume-and-grain-based diets for hundreds/thousands of years. Of course, there are even more elaborate processed foods available in stores now.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkey View Post

ive never met a vegetarian or a vagan (??), which is why i thought id have a poke about the internet
Well, here ya go. Nice to meet you. I'm a vegan, meaning I don't eat anything that came from an animal (meat, dairy, eggs, honey, etc...) and don't purchase any products (clothing, cosmetics, etc) made from animal products or tested on animals. There are other, probably better definitions of being a vegan, but that's the simplest way I can explain it...

If YOu have questions about being vegetarian or vegan, ask away. I cannot guarentee you'll get friendly answers, because (I'm embarrassed to admit) unfortunately some of my fellow veg*ns tend to be a bit militant in their views and less than patient about explaining things to people unfamilier with this way of life. But hopefully the more friendly members will pitch in...

Since these boards are a vegetarian and vegan hang -out, there probably won't be much tolerance for 'meat-based' discussions or indepth talk about the specifics of cattle farming, just to let you know...

Oh, and first tip for a 'newbie' - and the word "veg*n" simply is a way of abbreviating the phrase "vegetarian and/or vegan".

Welcome to Veggieboards.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Kay then. I apologise for my rudeness (have had a few jibes aimed in my direction of late). I am vegetarian but trying to move further into a vegan lifestyle. I already use products that are vegan on my skin, hair etc and buy enviornmentally friendly household cleaning products. I still eat a little bit of milk and a little bit of cheese but am weaning myself off it slowly (I've only been at this a month so not quite ready to jump in the deep end). I also no longer purchase anything that used to be an animal or used to be on an animal (like wool).

As far as the feral pigs, I know this is a dream land fairy tale but ultimately wouldn't it be nice if there were some way to desex what pigs there are now and then relocate them to live out their lives but obviously they would not continue to breed as they've been fixed (la la la, dreams on-lol).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts