VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Sad.

For those who don't click over to the link:
19% northeast
21% west
25% midwest
35% south
Quote:
young people who live in areas with a more negative sociopolitical climate towards LGBTQ young people and without affirming resources are at an increased risk for suicide when compared with their peers in more supportive environments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Yep. I was right. My home state is in the 35% zone. I can see it, honestly. I grew up here...yeah. I can see it. I encounter homophobia every damn day. Oftentimes in its most overt and vile manifestations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Yeah, I could guess which regions would be highest without looking at the map. It's not just negative attitudes against gays, I'd say the same regions would have the highest % of racists, and people who are intolerant of any group that appears different in any way from the majority.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Yep. I was right. My home state is in the 35% zone. I can see it, honestly. I grew up here...yeah. I can see it. I encounter homophobia every damn day. Oftentimes in its most overt and vile manifestations.
That's awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneet View Post

Yeah, I could guess which regions would be highest without looking at the map. It's not just negative attitudes against gays, I'd say the same regions would have the highest % of racists, and people who are intolerant of any group that appears different in any way from the majority.
Disgusting, ignorant, close minded pathetic excuses for human beings.

I'm assuming these regions most likely have the highest hate crime statistics also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

You're welcome to Seattle, WA, home of Dan Savage, who started the It Gets Better Project.
Instead of moving away from the places that make us uncomfortable, my philosophy is that we should bravely sacrifice our time, energy and sacrifice towards helping to erase ignorance and bigotry from these areas. "If there be trouble, let it be in my day so that my children know peace." Thomas Paine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Instead of moving away from the places that make us uncomfortable, my philosophy is that we should bravely sacrifice our time, energy and sacrifice towards helping to erase ignorance and bigotry from these areas.
That sounds really really good in theory, but in practice these kids shouldn't be chastised for wanting to get out of harm's way. There's a reason why large urban areas like New York or San Francisco become the gay meccas that they are. There's no shame in wanting to move to where you will be accepted and enable you to live the life that you were born to without fear of emotional or bodily harm. Of course the ones who stay behind and fight for their rights are to be admired, but if you're gay there's certainly nothing wrong with choosing the path of least resistance. Everyone deserves the opportunity for a happy and healthy life.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top