VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am curious if there are any vegans who have had gastric bypass surgery????

I am asking because my mom had the surgery and has trouble with eating some foods and also doesnt obsorbe nutrients the same way people do that havnt had this surgery.

She has gained weight back since surgery many years ago and just cant seem to shake it.

She I think-I hope she has found a new excitement over trying new veggies and is willing to try new vegan meals.

But she says she could never be vegan because of the surgery....dont know if this is true...or there is a way she doesnt know about....of if she really doesnt want to.

Either way I think she would loose weight if she totaly cut out the meat and dairy and eggs.

What you think? Any post gastric bypass people on here???

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
= consult a vegan RD.

She's right that she doesn't absorb nutrients as well anymore but I think the vegan solution for that is supplementation. That, or reversal of the surgery. I haven't had the surgery and I don't know any vegan who has but I know one of the points of the surgery is to make it so people can keep eating crappy food without gaining weight. It just forces them to eat much smaller portions of crappy food.

If I were you, I would focus on changing her mind rather than her habits because she will need to have strong motivation to go vegan in order to overcome the limitations of gastric bypass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Consulting a vegan dietian is a great idea! Unfortuatley it is unlikely there is one in our area, I wouldnt even know where to look to find one. I will try and google a vegan dietian and hope they are knowledgeable in gastric bypass surgery. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
haven't had the surgery myself either....but from my experience with many people that I know personally who have had it, that weight gain is due to the return of previous eating habits and poor quality food consumption.

If there are complications of severe weight loss or non absorption of nutrients, then sometimes another surgical intervention is needed to expand the pouch so that it allows more food to be eaten. Supplementation is usually required. Can you or she identify any overeating or bad habits that can be dealt with initially on your own?

Julieanna Hever RD, a vegan dietician, posted on facebook within the last month, that she has room for new patients if you want to contact her....she does phone consultations, and this is her site http://toyourhealthnutrition.com/

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have some friends that had that surgery. One lost weight and has kept it off. The other has gained it back. The guy who has gained it back is a good friend of mine and a real decent guy. I really hate it for him. But, I have watched the way he eats and basically, it's a lot of sweets. His diet is really bad. So, in my little brain, I can't imagine that going veggie is worse than living off of chocolate cake. His eating issues are clearly psychological. I don't talk to him about it because he knows what the problem is. I just love him where he's at in life and try to be a good example. I kinda feel guilty when we go out to eat because I always eat healthy and he always eats the worst thing on the menu. At this point I don't think he plans to change anything. So, like I said, I just love him where he's at in life.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

I kinda feel guilty when we go out to eat because I always eat healthy and he always eats the worst thing on the menu. At this point I don't think he plans to change anything.
That's really interesting to me. You sound like a very sympathetic friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts