VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me if this is true , does garlic really have this much calcium and this many calories?<br><br><br><br>
Nutrition Facts<br><br>
140g raw garlic<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Calories 209(Kilojoules 872)<br><br><br><br>
% Daily<br><br>
Value*<br><br>
Total Fat 0.7 g 1%<br><br>
Saturated Fat 0.1 g 1%<br><br>
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%<br><br>
Sodium 24 mg 1%<br><br>
Total Carbohydrates 46.3 g 15%<br><br>
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g 12%<br><br>
Sugars 1.4 g<br><br>
Protein 8.9 g<br><br>
Calcium 253.4 mg<br><br>
Potassium 561.4 mg<br><br>
Note: A dash indicates no data is

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
That's a lot of garlic...a bit more than a cup. Eating that much garlic in a sitting is gonna do something funky to your tummy.<br><br><br><br>
The calcium for that much garlic seems about right. check out nutritiondata.com for a break down.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would it if it was cooked and mixed with other veggies , it just looks like a good way to up my caloiries and calcuim ???? bad idea????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cooked or raw that is a LOT of garlic, and I love garlic. A friend of mine met me in a bar and gave me a little kiss. She said "You've been eating garlic again haven't you?" Yeah like ten hours earilier and after a shot and a beer. Imagine a cup of garlic! come on, no way.....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Garlic is meant to be used as a spice or an herb, specialk12, not as a food. If you ate a cup of garlic at a sitting, you would smell of garlic (sweat, gas, excrement, breath, and skin) for a very long time. You would probably also suffer from some pretty serious heartburn and indigestion for a while.<br><br><br><br>
To up your calories, you're much better off eating more starchy vegetables, legumes, nuts, vegetable oils, whole grains, and fruits. If you're not vegan, don't be afraid to use full fat dairy products and eggs in moderation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts