VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lettuce know what's new and happening in your garden!

Today was a great day in slynny's little veggie garden! I halled in a crop of lettuce. Hehehe...well a crop in my tiny garden = one big salad for me
OK I did share with my son...the only other one interested. It was delicious! This stuff seeded itself from last year...the lettuce I planted this year is going to be ready in a week or two.

Also just sprouted....pumpkins, zuchinni, cukes, gr.onoins, beans. Tomatoes are getting bigger, about 6 to 8" and the eggplants are about 4" tall, the peppers are about 6 to 8 " tall. Tomatoes are doing good and

What's growing in your garden?

Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
In my [planned] hydroponic garden, the tomatoes and peppers are looknig plump and juicy! I want to start a veggie garden so bad, just need a few bucks...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I have a four foot tomato plant, that's what's happening in my garden (container garden on the fire escape)...also my morning glories are growing like the dickens and I've got a FLOWER getting ready to pop. I made my daughter come out and look at the flower this morning. We were both very excited about the blossom.

Also....one teeny tiny cucumber is starting to grow

B

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bethanie,

Wow, your tomato is four feet, any blossoms yet? My morning glories are only about 4 inches tall...not even vining yet...lucky you, I love morning glories. Mine seeded themselves from last year so I didn't even have to plant new ones...I'll just have to move some of them to a better spot to vine up. Anyway sounds like you've got a great garden going good luck with it

Keegan, I hope you can get yourself a little garden growing

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The mother of one of my school kids gave me these morning glory seeds (seeded them last year), and for a while I thought they were just going to be skrawny....but they have started growing like the dickens.

No blossoms yet on the tomato plant (okay, it's probably more like three and a half feet...it just looks SO big), but it is budding. I'm very excited. This is my first experience growing tomatoes and a little success goes a LONG way.

B

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so my flower garden is a mess! Lots of rain and the weeds got the upper hand...but I'm working on it. got the front done and half of the back yard...worked all day! I'm going to be sore tomorrow...and I still have lots to do
but it's what I live for
The mosquitos are making gardening hell for me...I'm one big mosquito bite...any suggestions?

The veggie garden is doing good....everything is growing and no pest problems so far...not even slugs

·
Registered
0 Posts
My brother and I recently started a garden together, his part includes Habanero chilis, jalepenos, and cayenne peppers. he plans on making hot sauces and such. My part of the garden contains ?Broccali(not sure on spelling?), green peppers, tomatoes, slicing cucumbers, celery, more habaneros, and i also have pumpkins, watermelon, and cantelope, but i was gonna wait to plant those because i didn't have enough room, but then one day i came home and my mom had planted them(with good intentions i'm sure) but theres really like no room for them at all, so i don't think they be all that great. And i also planted this awesome raspberry bush!! I love raspberries!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just planted some herbs for a windowsill garden (I get fabulous sun from noon onwards). It'll take a couple weeks for them to sprout, but if I have success with these, I'll move on to bigger containers and maybe plant some hot peppers or something similar.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm apple cidar vinegar ay...I'll try that
thanks mouse!

Angeldust, sounds like you guys have a really great garden going on! I don't have any raspberries (I love them too) but I have a couple of blueberries and several strawberries
It's fun just to get a taste of fruit fresh from your garden. Yummy!

Grateful_Veggie, good luck on the herbs! Let us know how they come out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, its the middle of Winter here and I would normally be thinking about pruning the roses, but a number of them are flowering. We had a hot, dry Summer with very few blooms on the roses and now we've had a bit of rain they are making up for it. I can't bear to cut off the buds so pruning will have wait.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chook, where do you live?? In the middle of the winter the only thing I'd be pruning off my roses is icicles
Nice that you got more flowers.

I lost about 4 roses over the winter and a blueberry bush and my beautiful 10' rose of sharron
It was a terrible winter...cold and dry...no snow to blanket the plants from the cold. I really thought I was going to lose a lot more than I did... it could have been worse

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The TOMATOES ARE OUT!!!!! I just discovered a row of marble sized tomatoes tonight when I went out to have a look....I love looking at my container plants. I'm so excited, I've had tiny sized cucumbers for a while as well...they're growing slowly...but the tomatoes must have popped out in the past day or two. I'm thrilled.

My bell pepper plant is in bloom (this means eventual peppers right?), and I've just seen cantaloupe seedlings popping up yesterday evening. Also, I have now planted jalepeno, after someone (dvmarie I think) posted having more luck with these than with bell.

New stuff every day! Plants are really really awesome.

B

·
Registered
330 Posts
Slynny, I'm in Melbourne, Australia. We normally have flowers on the roses from Spring to late Autumn. Generally, the flowers in Autumn last best because they don't suffer from the heat as much. The colour is more intense because there is less sunlight to bleach them.

I haven't counted lately but I have maybe 40 roses. I like scented, old fashioned roses and also the David Austen range. A particular favourite is "Graham Thomas" which grows to about 2- 2.5m and has a lovely Tea Rose perfume. The David Austen roses do really well in Australia.

I have heavy clay soil which is a pig to work and requires lots of compost but roses really love it

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should have figured
good for you though...I love Australia! I like the old fashion roses best too! They are hardier and I think they smell lots better...I've got about 15 or so all different types. Know what you mean about clay...we have a lot of clay so I really need to work the soil. My roses are just beginning to bloom! I'll post some piccys on the pic thread soon.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bethanie, thats great! My tomatoes are getting big...about 3-4 ft but I don't have any blossoms yet. I do have a pepper growing on one of my plants and I have lettuce and herbs which I have been using lots of! Isn't this great!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bit the bullet on Saturday and pruned the roses that had none or few flowers on. I've got a bunch of roses on the dining room table from the off-cuts. Still got a heap of bushes to go though.

My silverbeet has doubled in height and a few broad beans have pushed their heads up. They had a bit of a challenge because my cat kept digging them up!

On Sunday, I put in some seedlings - a megapunnet of snapdragons and two regular punnets of seaside daisy. I also put in some more perrenials, particulary sea lavendar which I love and looks good with roses.

I had no intention of buying so much but I went to Bunning's which is a large hardware chain here with nursery attached. Its impossible to go into that place and only buy what you went in for! The weather was nice, the sun was shining, the sky was blue - what can I say - I have no excuse.

Ah well, the forecast is for rain this afternoon so at least I won't have to water tonight.

Hope the rest of you had a good weekend in the garden.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
My first BIG cucumber has grown over the past few days. Can't wait to EAT it.

Also, tiny tomatoes all over my three large tomato plants. I'm going to have a good sized harvest. Can't wait. Now if I can just get those bell peppers producing.

B

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
WOW! cool pic oati. i just planted most of my seeds so i have pots of dirt. it looked so pitiful that i went out and bought a marigold plant, impatiens and a basil plant so SOMETHING is green! if everything comes up (please gods) i will have zucchini, thyme, more impatiens, green beans, cukes, bell peppers, tomatoes and broccoli

1 - 20 of 76 Posts