VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend brought me home some snacks from the asian or middle eastern market. They were these sweet fried dough things with sesame seeds on the outside. I think they might have been made with mung bean flour or something? You know, like in Thai restaurants they have this weird sweet gooey dough stuff.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

They were super tasty and would like to at least know a name of them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i think i know what you're talking about thalia! sesame paste ball type things.. ? or maybe lychee?

i'm sorry, i don't know the name of them though.. it could just be a sesame paste bun, or mung bean paste bun, or which ever flavor of paste bun..

·
Registered
520 Posts
or maybe this kinda thing...?

Jin Dui

Chinese Red Bean-Filled Sesame Dumplings

6 oz sweet potatoes

10 oz red bean paste

1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour

1/3 cup flour

2/3 cup sesame seeds

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup hot water

Peel the sweet potatoes and boil them till tender, then mash them.

Sift the glutinous rice flour and flour together then blend together with the sugar and mashed sweet potato.

Knead the mixture well and sprinkle in the hot water.

Knead the dough into small balls and then roll each ball into a flat round shape.

Spoon some red bean paste into each as stuffing and shape into balls around the filling.

Brush the balls with cold water, then coat thoroughly with sesame seeds.

Deep fry on a low heat until the balls are golden and swollen. Drain and serve.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yep, that is the description of "Jian Dui" alright! I believe most are vegan although I believe in the olden days, lard was used in the mung bean paste. But now, they use vegetable oil. So no worries!

You should try the one with peanut paste; it's to die for!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.