VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I had my gallbladder taken out when I was 16 (I am now 21). Since that age, I've lost alot of weight, some due to exercise/diet. However, in the past few years, I've been putting alot of effort into gaining weight. This has meant increasing my fat intake in alot of instances. However, it just hasn't worked, and I've even lost more weight despite my efforts.

My sister did some research and suggested that eating excess fat might actually make me lose weight, because my body will malabsorb fatty foods and flush them out without intaking the calories. Apparently, this was the case for a co-worker of hers who had her gallbladder out.

My docs never told me this when I got my gallbladder out - but it sounds kinda rational. In the past few weeks, I've really been emphasizing fat, and noticed looser stools, which I now realize would correlate to my body "flushing out" fatty food. Anyone have any research or insights? I was considering trying to gain weight with tons of starch/dry fruit/juice rather than emphasizing fats, to see if that made a difference.

Any advice?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know nothing on this topic but I want to help somehow! You must be so frustrated; I know you have been trying very hard for a long time now with no results as yet.

I found the following which is probably what your sister means-

"Usually after gallbladder removal patients cannot digest high fat, large meals, and certain types of foods. More often, removal of the gallbladder causes weight loss. Bile still flows into the intestine, but fat digestion may be less efficient." (from http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/30894.htm)

http://forums.dietpower.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=715

The above link is a forum discussion on weigh gain/loss related to gallbladder removal which you may be interested in but it confuses me as some people seem to gain rather than lose following the operation.

Either way, good luck and I would vote for trying another tactic as you suggest.

By the way, I don't know how many calories you are on but if you have ever been anorexic/ restricted (this includes excessive exercise) you may need far, far more calories than you could ever imagine (I'm talking maybe 3'000-4'000) to gain. I was reading this yesterday in several different 'how many calories you need to gain after anorexia' articles. Maybe you simply need a lot more calories? How many do you get now?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how many calories I get now, as I'm trying not to count (psychological thing)...but I was just throwing fat/oils/nuts into everything I could. I would guess around 2500. I knew it wasn't enough to gain, but I was shocked to find that I was still gradually LOSING weight, and I wonder if my body is just flushing out the excess fats...thank you for your help and support, Littlelove!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I couldn't say for sure, but it sort of makes sense that your body wouldn't be able to digest and absorb fats properly without your gallbladder. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about it. Perhaps there's some kind of digestive enzyme you could take to help you break down and absorb fat better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts