VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently went vegan about 3 months ago. As a picky eater it has been extremely hard for me to find what I like and don't like...what works for me. I have many new recipes and cookbooks....unfortunately, I'm not much of a cook.

Some weeks I am so extremely frustrated by my diet I don't feel like I ever want to eat again...But the next week usually renews my spirit and I once again begin to experiment in the kitchen.

Anyway, since my new diet I have lost a bit of weight...not a lot, but as a thin person to begin with I can't afford to lose anymore. However, when I go to my health food store, everything is NO FAT....But, I need the fat, am I just not looking in the right places? I have been incorporating beans into my everyday diet (although i don't care for them)...Regardless, my metabolism is so hight that I am rarely satisfied with what I eat. On my days off I eat constantly and feel very good about my "new" life...However during my work week it is extremely hard for me to find "fast" food that is healthy. I work in a restaurant, so whatever time I do have to eat is short...and I've already exhausted all of my vegan options at work.

To get to the point, if anyone has any suggestions for quick, healthy food that will actually satisfy my bottomless pit of a stomach I would appreciate it. Also, advice on food I should be eating more of is welcome. Sometimes, I just feel so frustrated with my diet I want to give it all up...But, the next day I wake up and am truly happy with the decisions I have made to alter my lifestyle and the condition of the world today. I'm curious to know if it is hard for everybody or if I'm just too damn picky!? Thanks for reading this rambling post.

·
Registered
0 Posts
could u get a deep fat fryer? - i could eat deep fried potatoes and sweet potatoes all day...plenty of salt, maybe vinegar, hmmm

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Nut butters and avocados are two obvious high-fat vegan foods. Make some PB and J sandwiches, dip tortilla chips in guacamole. While I wouldn't recommend living off of fried potatoes all day... A bit of margarine couldn't hurt. Earth Balance and Spectrum Spread are two vegan margarines that should be available in any health food store.

Have you tried hummus? Dip veggies in hummus for snacks. Or falafel! Some fried up falafel in tahini sauce is sure to work in a little fat into your diet.

I will end by saying, I love peanut butter. Sometimes it is the only thing that will do the trick. You can spread it on bagels for breakfast, dip apples or bananas in it as treats, spread some on your bean burrito for dinner (honestly! It's not weird- it's good! With black beans, anyway.)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get into a groove with your diet soon enough. We all had some trouble in the beginning.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.......peanut butter is my new favorite thing....I have been eating it for breakfast and lunch when I'm too busy to make anything else. I guess it will just take a little while for my body to get used to it. But, I had a great dinner tonight! I also don't think living on fried potatoes would be the healthiest diet....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, I do consume beer....actually, I'm having one right now...It doesn't seem to help, but thanks anyway...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nuts and seeds.

Many vegetarians/vegans do not get enough zinc in their diets through food. Add some to your daily foods.

Some good choices include:

Almonds (calcium)

Sunflower Seeds (zinc, calcium)

walnuts (Omega-3 EFA)

Pumpkin seeds (zinc)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Any kind of squash will provide ample fat, as well as avacados, artichokes and beans. Vary your diet as much as you can. Up you fruit intake: fruits have plenty of carbs, which turn to fat if they aren't used.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I love almond butter (I get the kind from nspire foods). It is high in iron as well. Also, try snacking on seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds), they take up little space, so you can just put them in a ziplock and eat them while you're doing other things. Or you could chop them up and add them to green- and fruit salads.

I am totally with everyone on the nuts issue. Nuts are a great source of unsaturated fats and minerals (and protein). I personally like brazil nuts the best).

Add olive oil to things you cook (if you do end up cooking), or add it to salads, it has a nice flavor and is high in monounsaturated fats (good for your arteries).

You can also try eating more potatoes, they are high-energy compared to other vegeables (don't make it your only veggie though, lol, but you wouldn't do that anyway).

Avocadoes are great too. Again, you can add them to salads. You can also make guacamole, eat it with vinegar right out of the peel (I love it with balsamic vinegar, which again, gives you some sugar right there
), or you can even add it to smoothies as I heard (never tried that though).

Beans are great, I'm sad that you don't like them too much. You could try eating more whole grains or oatmeal (I personally think that's a great source of energy). And you could also have more caloric beverages such as nut/grain milks, fruit/veggie juices (I love odwalla, but it's expensive), and maybe cream in your coffe or tea.

Hope I helped. I'll come back in case I find more

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Actually, squash and artichokes have negligible if no fat at all, so they won't really bulk up your diet. But eating a wide variety of food is always good for providing ample nutrition.

If you want to keep it healthy just eat naturally higher calorie foods like fortified, full-fat tofu, soymilk, tempeh, and soy yogurt; avocados; olives; salads with homemade olive oil based dressings; smoothies with flax seed oil and silken tofu; bananas; mangoes; whole wheat bread with a variety of nut butters; oatmeal topped with maple syrup and nuts; nut breads; etc. Basically all the yummy stuff that those of us not "plagued" with exceeding slimness wish we could eat in abundance.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I think most people will tell you to eat foods high in fat, or high in protein, but really, just make sure you're never hungry.

If you're hungry, eat until you're not. With that sort of approach, I don't think there is any way to lose weight.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my fried spuds idea was only half serious! - i know it's not the healthiest diet, having said that i know veges that eat them every day and never seem unwell.

Just make sure you have some decent multivitamins and some omega 3 if you are feeling miserable (the omega 3 stuff does seem to be true)

beer only gives you weight on your belly for some reason - i speak from experience!

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Like Mikie says..

Eat when your hungry, and try to eat more per meal.

Eat soy-desserts, cookies when you drink tea or coffee....

A thicker layer of peanut butter on your sandwiches...

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'm having the same problem right now so don't feel too bad. i can't afford to lose any weight but i think i have lost some the last couple weeks. i've been a bit more active but haven't increased my food intake to compensate. woops.

for a quick snack on my break at work i usually walk down to the health food store a few doors down and grab a bar of some kind. sometimes a clif bar for energy or lately i've found these other bars that are just made of nuts and seeds and held together with rice syrup. they're like 220 calories per bar, woohoo and cost under $2. they look like those bird seed bells you get for the back yard but they taste alright lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input. Pumpkin seeds will be incorporated into my diet....i bought them in the beginning, but then slacked...Also flaxseeds, I have, but have not used yet...Now I know what I have to do. 1Vegan, I agree w/ you also. I was so used to stopping at a certain point when I was eating meat/cheese...But, now I'm trying to eat even the past the point of fullness, because I know I'll burn it off so quickly. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I had the same concern -- got a lot of helpful advice on the "Calories" thread. A lot of it is repeated here but you might check and see if there are any other ideas for you there.

My diet is definitely still evolving. For now I've solved the calorie problem by:

1) Upping my carb intake. Lots of garlic toast and potatoes, bagels and pasta. Possibly not the best long-term solution ...? (But I eat tons of everything else too.)

2) Totally giving up on the idea of convenience -- cooking is simply necessary! It's been years since I cooked aside from special occasions, but now I cook almost every day. Who woulda thunk it?

3) Keeping myself stocked up on nuts, avocados, and soymilk. These are snacks that I can have at any time with no preparation. (OK, I have to peel and slice the avocado.) I'm constantly munching on nuts, and I just leave a jar sitting out by the computer and another on the coffee table.

#2 was the big thing; I lost weight the first few weeks, but once I got into the rhythm of cooking on a regular basis the weight loss stopped. Also, I used to generally eat only two meals a day (never liked breakfast). Now I eat at all sorts of odd times, much more frequently -- my body adjusted and it lets me know that I need to eat!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well you should avoid all fryed foods because oil that has been heated over and over it produces trans fats which cause cancer.

If you have a sweet tooth buy some soy icecream (soy delicious brand has some great flavors that taste like the real deal.)

eat avocados, and nuts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts