VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I weighed myself at the store because they had scales out to test to see which one you wanna buy and turns out I only weight 109 pounds. I'm 24 and around 5'4''. I'm thinking this is because I have a fast metabolism and there really isn't much I can do about it because I do eat quite a lot sometimes and I don't work out that much. I recently started running (today was my first run!) and I want to continue but my goal is not to lose weight at all. My coworkers make fun of me for being so skinny...they blame veganism lol.

What should I do? Do I just eat more healthy, high calorie foods? I mean, I do eat some high calorie foods already and 90% of what I eat is fresh and not processed. I'm also looking into high raw so I'm thinking of eating a lot of avocados in raw soups and stuff. I did make a banana smoothie last night and I looked up online that it was around 1100 calories! I think I'm going to start adding frozen banana to all my smoothies now since it tastes amazing and has good amount of calories.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
-Get pregnant
-Take medications for mental disorders
-Eat a cake every day

Is your doctor advising you to lose weight? Some people are just naturally thin. I know it's hard to be a petite male, but that might just be how you are.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a doctor and no. I'm not trying to lose weight I'm trying to gain it!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I don't have a doctor and no. I'm not trying to lose weight I'm trying to gain it!
Urgh, that's what I meant. Sorry.

Is your life in danger from being malnourished? I know you eat healthily. But do you have health problems related to being thin? Or do you want to gain weight for aesthetic reasons?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I still say eat a cake every day

·
Registered
765 Posts
i found that adding peanut butter and banana with extra soya protein to my shakes really is helping me gain some weight and giving up caffeine which stimulates my appetite more, rooibos tea as well.

also nuts over most of my foods.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

watch this video on why you don't want to load up on seeds/avocados/fats....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvelN...layer_embedded
she talks about going high raw too.
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_RX...layer_embedded
i had no idea nuts were more fatty than hamburgers, those videos were very informative and helped explain a few things. thanks for that

dr.martini-
if you aren't looking to build much muscle and just want to gain a little more chub, then just eat lots of nuts and fruits together. your body stores fat anytime sugar is present. the running will eat away at those fat stores pretty quickly though

if you want some more muscle mass then you need some weight training. running is cardio, and good for you, but it's not going to put much of any weight on you. pushups, sittups, squats, weights, or whatever odd muscle building exercises you like to do. push till it burns then do 3 more reps into the burn for whatever workout you're doing, then swap to another muscle/muscle group and rotate back. stretch a previously worked muscle each time before doing more reps on it till the muscle becomes fatigued and you need to rest. you shouldn't work out for more than an hour a day, and any less than that and it'll take quite a while before any big results appear. for diet i'd suggest blending most of your food, lots of leafy greens and fruits. then after about 30 to 45 minutes of an exercise, or if you finish before that, take in some proteins to start rebuilding that muscle. you'll likely take in a little fat with your proteins and that's fine but try to be light on fats till the workout is over or else you'll fatigue more easily. more food is always better during the recovery, pack away those greens, veggies, fruits, and nuts as much as you can handle and feel free to supplement with a soya protein shake like kasandra was saying.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
I gained some muscle weight by cycling every other day for a couple weeks and was very pleased because I'm a small framed lady that was also slightly underweight. Need to get back out there, I've had issues with my agoraphobia lately.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

So yesterday I weighed myself at the store because they had scales out to test to see which one you wanna buy and turns out I only weight 109 pounds. I'm 24 and around 5'4''. I'm thinking this is because I have a fast metabolism and there really isn't much I can do about it because I do eat quite a lot sometimes and I don't work out that much. I recently started running (today was my first run!) and I want to continue but my goal is not to lose weight at all. My coworkers make fun of me for being so skinny...they blame veganism lol.

What should I do? Do I just eat more healthy, high calorie foods? I mean, I do eat some high calorie foods already and 90% of what I eat is fresh and not processed. I'm also looking into high raw so I'm thinking of eating a lot of avocados in raw soups and stuff. I did make a banana smoothie last night and I looked up online that it was around 1100 calories! I think I'm going to start adding frozen banana to all my smoothies now since it tastes amazing and has good amount of calories.
i'd say you ought to drink a gallon of coconut oil.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
even better would be a cake jammed with healthy nuts, chased with healthy oils that promote weight loss and healthy hearts!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
aren't you being facetious!!!!!

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
people blame my vegetarianism for being underweight too

except im 5'6'' and 104 lbs.
can't say i know about gaining weight, but people keep telling me to add healthy fats like avocado,nuts,olive oil,nut butters,etc) to my diet.
(even though i dont ask for advice because i dont want to gain!)

·
Registered
471 Posts
That was an interesting video. it is amazing how many so called experts disagree on this stuff. I have always read how healthy nuts and avocados are if eaten in moderation.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We have similar BMIs. I have always been thin and lately I've been trying to gain weight too. And I went running for the first time yesterday! We have so much in common

I have gained 5 lbs over the past year so I am no longer horribly underweight...just slightly underweight

I try to graze throughout the day, since I fill up very quickly. I've recently tried adding more peanut butter to my diet since it's so high in calories

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Urgh, that's what I meant. Sorry.

Is your life in danger from being malnourished? I know you eat healthily. But do you have health problems related to being thin? Or do you want to gain weight for aesthetic reasons?
No health issues. And I guess I don't really wanna gain just weight I wanna gain muscle but that's a different story.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

people blame my vegetarianism for being underweight too

except im 5'6'' and 104 lbs.
can't say i know about gaining weight, but people keep telling me to add healthy fats like avocado,nuts,olive oil,nut butters,etc) to my diet.
(even though i dont ask for advice because i dont want to gain!)
You and I are the same size I tried the same suggestions and they didnt make much of a difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tate View Post

There was a time at the Old Westside gym where I couldn't gain weight to save my f-g life.

There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like f-g magic. He'd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.

I finally asked him one day how he did it.

"You mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and I'll fill you in."

Now remember, we're at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious s-t if we have to go outside, I thought.

So we get outside and he starts talking.

"For breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I don't care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that s-t down and eat. That's your breakfast."

At this point I'm thinking this guy is nuts. But he's completely serious.

"For lunch you're gonna eat Chinese food. Now I don't want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG BS. I don't care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You can't let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter."

"For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that f-kr up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that s-t over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the s-t out of it."

"Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that f-kr. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals."

This guy is in a zen-like state when he's talking about this.

"Now you're on the clock," he continues. "After 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you you're full. Don't listen to that s-t. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. I'm telling you now, you're going to get three or four pieces in and you're gonna want to quit. You f-g can't quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.

And if you can't finish it, don't you ever come back to me and tell me you can't gain weight. 'Cause I'm gonna tell you that you don't give a f-k about getting bigger and you don't care how much you lift!"

Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didn't get much fatter. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, though.
This story always comes to mind when I see someone asking how to gain weight

Now, actually doing this is probably a bad idea (and certainly not vegan) but I think the core message still applies: eat lots. Then eat more.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I could gag on the fat and cholesterol alone on just the thought of all that....yuck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts