VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I'm 18, male, and have always been real skinny, hard to gain weight. Partly(or mostly) because my appetite isn't huge. I've heard some people saying at 23 or 25 they started gaining weight much easier. Is this true? Is it possible that in a few years it will be easier? What would be the reasons for this?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
First of all, I want to say I have nothing to base my response on except my own personal experience. I started out being able to eat everything and anything I wanted. That included candy and cookies every day including three huge meals. I had three babies by age 29 and was always able to get down to my before birth weight by six weeks. Once I reached 30-35, things started slowing down. I had to cut back somewhat on my food intake, but I still was able to eat a lot more than the average person. I also started moderate exercise, like walking. By the time I hit 40, I had to cut down more on the food intake and increase the exercise a bit. I am now 54, and I need very few calories and a minimum of an hour of exercise just to maintain a decent weight. So, I can't tell you why, except that I always attributed it to the fact that our metabolism slows down as we age and we dont' need as many calories to keep us going. I'm not saying this is the 'norm', it's just how it went for me. Oh yeah, I am female. So if you're trying to gain weight, it is possible you will find it easier to do so as you age. And may I say I 'hate' you. (Kidding, of course. More like jealous)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Most people's metabolism slows down the in their late twenties/early thirties, which means that they are more likely to put on weight and have more trouble getting the weight off. Metabolism slows for many reasons, but mostly having to do with hormone levels dropping during that age.

But if you are worried about your weight, I personally wouldn't just be hopeful you will get bigger in a couple years. I know that there are some really good threads around here about gaining weight in healthy effective ways if you just do a search. You said that you have never had much of an appetite, well the size of our tummies is directly related to how much we regularly put in, so if you slowly work on larger portions and higher natural fat content, then you'll probably gain more of an appetite and hopefully weight as well. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I know (by experience, LOL) that women start putting on weight because of hormonal changes, around 40-45 years of age. Not sure what the age is for men though. Most men I know get some form of "beer belly" around 35-40.

All I know is that my dad, who has a huge appetite but a very fast metabolism and who is virtually vegan, is still as thin as a stick at 75, no belly or anything (he's still into sports, too, plays tennis and jogs). So I am sure individual make up and metabolism play a big part, too. As long as you're healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Or do you think you look gaunt and unhealthy ? Maybe some sports and extra muscle build-up would help ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I know some guys who never "gain the weight" but most usually do. Give it time. I'd say right around your last year of college, or first couple years of the "real world" is when I see most pack on the pounds.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Its partially hormonal, partially social, I'm guessing. I'm no doctor, I'm just saying what I've witnessed in my 28 years of life ;-)

Your metabolism just starts to slow. 18 is a big number, and around 20 is too. You aren't building systems anymore - you're maintaining, so your needs aren't as great.

My brother was an incurable stick boy for the first 20 years of his life. Now he's still on the thin side, but he can gain weight if he eats poorly where before he didn't.

funny story - my mom had a wheelchair at Disney because she twisted her ankle first day there.... near the end of their trip, she decided to get up and walk for a bit, so he sat in the chair to see how to use it.... he was SOOOO skinny he really did look like he had some problem with his legs.... so much so that some performers just bounced into the area (as they do at disney) and started to dance.... saw him, and decided to bring him into the performance, thinking they were giving some disabled child the time of their life.... lol. He was mortified and afraid to get out of the chair for hours, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
funny story - my mom had a wheelchair at Disney because she twisted her ankle first day there.... near the end of their trip, she decided to get up and walk for a bit, so he sat in the chair to see how to use it.... he was SOOOO skinny he really did look like he had some problem with his legs.... so much so that some performers just bounced into the area (as they do at disney) and started to dance.... saw him, and decided to bring him into the performance, thinking they were giving some disabled child the time of their life.... lol. He was mortified and afraid to get out of the chair for hours, lol.
Funny

And I'm mostly asking about the 20s

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Age made a difference for me. I was rather thin until I was 24. I was 120 to 130 and 5'9" until that point. I started to gain weight after that and eventually had to lose weight.

Give your body some time to change. I hope you can enjoy this part of your life when you can pretty much eat whatever you want to without worrying about weight gain. I'd love to be that way again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.